c. 1850 Second Empire – Stony Point, NY – $399,000

Added to OHD on 9/12/17 - Last OHD Update: 9/12/17
168 Filors Ln, Stony Point, NY 10980 Map: Aerial View
  • THE GLAMOUR OF A NEWPORT MANSION MEETS BROADWAY & THE ARTS - Stony Point, Circa 1850. Imagine... Brick Baron James Garner built this French Maison with double brick construction, River Views & a 2 Story Barn, on a separate included deeded lot (3 Ewald Pl). Steeped in history with a flair of show business of the 20s, came Rollo Peters of NYC Theatre fame as the next owner. Through the passage of time, new owners Bill Golden (designed the famous CBS Eye) & wife Cipe Pineles (Art Dir., Vogue Magazine), added to this avalanche of splendor, mystique & character, "purging the house of frivolous aspects." The Goldens remodeled & redecorated in "good judgement & taste," in their eclectic style, creating more of a "Paris Manoir Romantique." This home served as a stage for occasions that were memorable for everyone. While living here will definitely inspire the new ownership to creatively restore the faded patina of the past, this is truly a home that one can't duplicate today, 40 mins to NYC... *** HOUSE & BARN SOLD AS IS, THIS IS NOT A SHORT SALE *** CASH OR 203K LOAN *** SALE INCLUDES SEPERATE .38 ACRE RIVER VIEW LOT WITH TWO STORY BARN, which is right next to the listing, but has a different address & street access from 3 Ewald Place: TAX ID: 392800.020.009-0003-010.00 *** 168 FILORS LANE IS ACCESSED THROUGH MARIAN SHRINE EASEMENT (turn right into the Shrine, #168 Filors driveway on left) ***

50 Comments on c. 1850 Second Empire – Stony Point, NY – $399,000

1. RachelMed (33 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 4:34 pm //

I’m in love!! I’d prefer the houses below to be a bit further away but at least the house is on a hill above giving it some more privacy and a better view.

Wonder if there are some old Vogue magazines hidden in those stacks from the previous owners!

2. william (1 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 4:41 pm //

i live very close to this house, its great, i am sure some one will snap it up quick , seems like such a cheap price for such a great house.

3. MonChiChiPox (180 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 4:52 pm //

I’m not gonna lie. I gasped when I saw that first exterior picture.

• Johnny (1 comments) - 09/14/2017 at 11:53 pm //

I gasped, too! What a spectacular house. I could see myself spending years there while enjoying every bit of the renovation.

4. Rondi (3 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 5:04 pm //

Reminds me of the house from the “Madeline” books. Love it!

5. Sean Sean (189 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 5:05 pm //

Oh man!!!!! This is wonderful!

I love the condition it’s in too! Just wish some of the colors of the walls were faded back to something antique and subtle. I could move in instantly!

Wow! Wow! Wow!!!!

6. Rick (1 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 6:42 pm //

I don’t normally comment, but the photographer is absolutely fabulous. Those photos look like they took hours upon hours to stage. Assuming that they weren’t because, well look at the place, in any case really nice work.

7. AnnaP (25 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 8:08 pm //

This might be my most favorite house post everrrrrrrrrrr! Gah!

8. Marjorie Tittle (2 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 9:02 pm //

I wish I had millions of dollars to play with, this will be a fabulous place, again. You can tell from originals pictures, there was lots of happiness in this house.

9. Rosewater Rosewater (2669 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 9:43 pm //

My kingdom for a scupper!

This place looks f u n.

10. kmmoore (60 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 10:17 pm //

Cipe purged the house of “frivolous aspects.” Wonder what it looked like before … This place is magical!

• Steve H (141 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 8:35 am //

I’m guessing that the original fireplace mantels were the “frivolous aspects”. I’m sure they wouldn’t have appealed to 1950s-60s sensibilities. Other than that though, they couldn’t have done very much. It really looks quite intact inside.

• RachelMed (33 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 11:19 am //

I’d guess the fireplace mantels too, especially since you can see more streamlined mantles in the double fireplace pics. We also don’t see the bathrooms and kitchen so maybe work was done there too. But a lot of the woodwork seems to be intact which is great!

11. Ryan (912 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 11:34 pm //

We used to pass this place all the time going into Don Bosco. It was always a little run down looking but intriguing too. Until now I never knew it had a tower as I’d only ever seen it from the back, which I’d assumed was the front despite the odd fenestration. The interior is fancier than I would have guessed. And nicer. When I was young, people from the area said Will Geer, Grandpa from the Waltons, was living in this house, renting it, but I don’t know if that was true or not. It’s interesting that they say it was built by a brickmaker named James Garner because the village just south of this is Garnerville, and it’s named after the Garner Print Works that were there for about a hundred years. My great grandparents lived there for a time. I wasn’t aware of any Garner brickyards being in the area, so I’ll have to look that up.

Anyway it’s a very cool house and well worth restoring I would think. The location is odd. It sort of sits right on the road at the back door, but the only traffic is from people going to the shrine, so it should still be fairly quiet. The big colonial stone mansion that’s further down the drive at the Marian Shrine is kind of my dream home but that’s obviously never gonna happen for me.

12. JPC (8 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 12:00 am //

Oh, I would love to haunt this house. That first interior pic, I had to do a double take to determine whether that was a full length mirror between the windows or an elaborate tromp l’oeil painting.

• JBH (3 comments) - 09/14/2017 at 4:48 pm //

It’s already haunted, trust me. I lived with Cipe’s son, Tom, for several years and spent many weekends there when we would visit from the city. She was a legend with very particular tastes. The house is exquisite, but not for the faint of heart or light of wallet. Would love to see it restored and the kitchen updated…unless you are seriously into retro. When I visited, the kitchen and baths were straight out of the 50’s.

13. John Nevitt (53 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 12:41 am //

Anyone else notice the mannequin head in the window view from the attic picture? Kind of a creepy touch, but interesting

• farmhousedreams (9 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 9:52 am //

Oh my! I didn’t notice, until you mentioned it. That is indeed kinda creepy.

• Miss-Apple37 (174 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 10:07 am //

Maybe they display it at the window, Norma Bates style 😛

• farmhousedreams (9 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 10:11 am //

Hahaha! You’re funny Miss Apple37! These folks were indeed into film and arts, right??? Hahahahaha!

14. Daughter of George Daughter of George (692 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 5:22 am //

Dang, I am a huge fan of “frivolous aspects.”

Gorgeous house, just what one would expect of Cipe Pineles (as a collector of vintage magazines, I’ve seen a lot of her work).

15. housefrog Virginia Seward (34 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 5:45 am //

Second empire is my second favorite house style, only folk farm houses beat them for me

16. Lissie (300 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 6:51 am //

Amazing! Needs a little TLC but will look fabulous when finished.

17. john drake (14 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 7:34 am //

Simply breathtaking place. Perfect and not so far from NYC. But totally surrounded by a depressing suburban development.

18. Jenny Wiebler (140 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 9:00 am //

This settles it … my favorite type of house is 2nd Empire! The exterior is fantastic,I love the arched doorways and doors, and the nooks. Just a great find! Wish it could be mine.

19. Bethster (527 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 9:16 am //

I not only love the house itself, I feel at home just looking at the photos, because whoever lives there has a familiar array of “stuff”—books everywhere, piles of magazines, shelves filled with an assortment of objects, and a random mannequin head. As Rick mentioned above, the photography is impressive. And the older photos are cool, too.

20. SandyF (77 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 12:20 pm //

The photos are as interesting as the house. The attic, I would like to sit up there and look through all of the old magazines. I love this home, the price as well. Taxes are so high in NY, and eating etc…but I love NY state. This could be a wonderful home. If those walls could talk

21. Tommy Q (408 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 12:32 pm //

Tell ya what, I see a HUGE garage sale in the near future…

22. Tommy Q (408 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 12:35 pm //

Tell ya what, I see a HUGE garage sale in the near future…and am I the only musician who noticed the ’53 Tele with a later rosewood board neck??? Wow! And the black-and-white picture featuring the fireplace — what is that weird little sculpture in the foreground sitting on an end table?

23. Sue Sue (1165 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 1:08 pm //

Be still my heart. Like Daughter of George I am also a huge fan of “frivolous aspects.” This house should be high drama. It just screams to have some frivolous aspects put back into it. Oh my, oh my. A dream home for me.

24. SandyF (77 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 2:55 pm //

-meant “heating” not eating-and the property taxes-
    Tax Information
    Tax Year: 2017
    Municipality
    Tax Amount: $14,356

25. dkzody (192 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 6:26 pm //

The historic photos sure give you an idea of what the house once was and how life was lived there.

26. mary lin (14 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 8:54 pm //

This house is as good as it gets. The head on the filling? What fun

27. Gregory K. Hubbard (48 comments) - 09/14/2017 at 1:53 pm //

Really interesting comments.

It is a fine house, but it is not possible for it to have been built in 1850, at least not in its present form. The architectural details, the cornice, the mansard, the dormer windows, all indicate a date at least 10 to 15 years later. It is even possible it was built as late as 1880. Perhaps the mansard and the bracketed cornice were alterations.

Bainbridge Bunting, in his remarkable architectural history and survey, ‘The Houses of Boston’s Back Bay,’ has identified a French Renaissance style mansion he believed to be one of the earliest uses of the Mansard roof in America, and the home was built in the late 1840’s. The last time I researched Second Empire Mansard roofed houses and buildings, Mr. Bunting’s research held. My copy of the book is packed, but if I can locate it, I’ll post the reference. In my opinion, it is very unlikely that a brand new architectural style would have spread so far, so fast.

The handsome mansard roof is going to require a lot of conservation. While the miss-matched slates should be replaced to recreate the roof’s original appearance, the broken slates must be replaced. This restoration may well require the stripping and complete rehanging of all the roof slates.

The roof’s coping and moldings are also in poor condition. One very interesting detail is the gutter built into the cornice. Usually these were replaced with hanging gutters because of leaks. These gutters must be in good condition, because the cornice itself appears to be in surprisingly good condition, with little water damage.

I hope whoever buys this house has the resources to recreate the lost porch. It was a very important element of the home’s early appearance.

Apparently, those “frivolous aspects” removed did not include what appears to be a very nice cut glass gasolier in photograph 16. It’s great to have the photograph as a record, but sad that it’s no longer there.

A really wonderful house. If only I had the income….

• Ryan (912 comments) - 09/14/2017 at 2:31 pm //

You’re right. The “circa 1850” date is definitely too early. I would have guessed it’s more like 1870, or maybe a bit later. I haven’t found any brickyard owned by a James Garner from that period either – there were a ton of brickyards in the area during the 19th century and nearby Haverstraw was considered the brick making capital of the US – so maybe he was one of the Garners who founded Garnerville instead. Adding the porch back would not only be an appropriate restoration, it would provide a great place from which to enjoy the view of the Hudson in the distance.

28. PatriciaD (1 comments) - 09/14/2017 at 11:36 pm //

CIPE GOLDEN BURTON, as I knew her to be, owned all the property on which my house and ten (10) other homes were built in 1964. She was a lovely woman and her son, Mr. Burton, used to play with his band in the barn. Thank you for the lovely pictures. The history with this mansion is for the history books of Rockland County for sure.

29. Gregory K. Hubbard (48 comments) - 09/15/2017 at 1:24 am //

I attended the Culinary Institute Of America in Hyde Park during the years 1983 through 1985. While there, I fell in love with the region. It’s like a beautiful but unkempt seductress, luring you to become involved… I became involved in the preservation of a derelict mansion, but I still managed to graduate.

If I were not in Southern California helping my very elderly mother, I’d probably be lost somewhere in the Hudson Valley….there is this astounding Gothic Revival cottage in Poughkeepsie… or perhaps that delightful Second Empire house in Glens Falls…

30. Maureen (21 comments) - 09/15/2017 at 6:51 pm //

Curious to know about the huge wall to ceiling mirrors between the windows in three of the pictures, when they would have been installed? Talk about trying to make a room look bigger.
    If these wall could talk.

31. squirrlley@yahoo.com (66 comments) - 09/16/2017 at 3:51 am //

Taxes are outrageous , it is a lovely home tho