1860 Greek Revival – Society Hill, SC – $70,000

Added to OHD on 9/8/17 - Last OHD Update: 9/8/17
  • Sqft: 1936
  • Acres: 3
279 S Main St, Society Hill, SC 29593 Map: Street View
  • This 3 bedroom Greek Revival cottage has not been occupied since the 1980's and was never modernized so all the original doors, door nobs, mantels, windows and fixtures are still in place ready for restoration. There is also a large outbuilding on the property and the acreage is secluded and private. Although the house needs full restoration the roof is a modern type metal standing seam roof.

37 Comments on 1860 Greek Revival – Society Hill, SC – $70,000

1. I need to see the inside of this!!! If anyone goes to check it out, send me pics! Y’all know I have a thing for one story Greek Revivals. 🙂

• shellbell67 (127 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 4:50 pm //

Me too! Me too! This one is pretty elegant in it’s own little shabby way. <3

2. Bobcat Hannah (51 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 2:39 pm //

It looks, and I mean this in the highest of regards, completely haunted. Sign me up for restoration and hauntings plz!

3. natira121 natira121 (86 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 3:52 pm //

I second that motion! I love these old places that haven’t been messed with at all. Though it ALWAYS makes me wish I had the winning lottery ticket. *sigh*

4. Bethany (1770 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 4:13 pm //

“Was never modernized” have to be some of the sweetest words ever put in a listing.

5. Laurie W. (1378 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 5:21 pm //

Ditto! And the agent even spelled “mantel” right, big win!

6. Ashleigh shared this video showing 2 interior images: https://www.facebook.com/PreserveSC/videos/10155106050574542/

7. CharlestonJohn CharlestonJohn (604 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 6:14 pm //

Both the roof and foundation seem to have been worked on fairly recently. Those are two areas that tend to be both essential and expensive, so maybe a lucky buyer will have a head start on the restoration. I’ve always liked Society Hill, or at least the history of the place. I also really like Greek Revival styling applied to smaller, one story Antebellum houses.

8. JimH JimH (3751 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 6:55 pm //

That’s a 20th C. concrete block foundation, so the house may have been moved or raised. A solid foundation is always a good thing!
    Very cool little house. I love the decorative little “fanlight” in the gable, and the Italianate front door adds some character. Looks like some good detail left inside too!
    Somebody on the Facebook page wants HGTV to fix it up. Please God, No!

• Ashley403 (47 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 12:12 am //

If you look closely that skirting(foundation)is not concrete block. The picture of the side show some of it missing. It is actually a pressed metal in Tennessee it is called pressed tin even though that is not what it is made of and comes in shiny about 1/8 thick sheets in what I believe was eight foot lengths. It can then be painted gray to match concrete blocks. It was/is a cheap way to dress up a pier and beam. The last time I checked it was still available in the big box home improvement stores.

9. Julles Julles (541 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 12:16 am //

What a beauty! Those 1 story Greek Revivals get to me too. My question is, should the porch have extended out to the collums?

10. Ashley403 (47 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 1:29 am //

I hope this doesn’t post twice. I am having computer problems.IF you look closely this skirting(concrete block foundation) is actually a material in Tennessee that is called pressed tin even though this is not what the material is made of. It is some type of pressed metal that comes in five foot sections in length and shiny about 1/8 inch thick. It can be cut with tin snips to fit wherever needed. The picture of the side shows where some sections are missing and leaning out. It was/is a low cost way to dress up a pier and beam. It can also be painted gray to look like real blocks. The last time I checked it was still available in the big box home improvement stores.

• JimH JimH (3751 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 12:24 pm //

Ashley403, you did post it twice and I’ll take your word for it. 🙂
      It looked like painted block but if it’s just tin the condition of the foundation could be anything from ancient brick piers to more recent concrete. That’s what inspections are for!
      Pier and beam construction is uncommon up north so I’m not familiar with that material.

• CharlestonJohn CharlestonJohn (604 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 4:25 pm //

Jim, I’ve seen them with tree stumps for piers. Sometimes the foundation was wrapped forming a crawlspace and sometimes it was left open. This one was probably an open pier and girder prior to being wrapped by whatever the material is. This was the most typical foundation type for Southern houses in areas with high water tables for many years. Modern high insulation values and AC that runs all summer has resulted in a move to raised slabs or encapsulated crawlspaces to avoid the moisture and mold issues that tend to plague crawlspace homes down here.

• Rcn62 (69 comments) - 09/10/2017 at 3:05 am //

Thanks for the link! I’ve been looking forever for this pressed tin!

• Rosewater Rosewater (2669 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 2:01 pm //

You can see for sure that it is pressed tin in the pix on the page Amelia linked to below. I’d say it’s a plus for someone who wants to put it back right since there doesn’t seem to be much of an added skirting to demo.

11. Anne Hamilton (107 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 7:43 am //

Kelly, I can take a run up with an agent after this storm passes and take pics.
    Everyone in the path of this monster, Pls be careful and safe where you all are, gonna be a doozy!

12. housefrog Virginia Seward (34 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 10:00 am //

Love it, made me think a little of the Witch’s house in Big Fish. I am going to try and go see this one as well. Thanks!

13. Joseph Griffin (14 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 10:11 am //

If you could figure out something to do in Society Hill, SC, this would be the place to do it. A beautiful building with soul.

• Joseph Rice (291 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 10:51 am //

I think this would be a nice house to build a replica of. Size/scale appropriate to modern living.

• Tina Reuwsaat (41 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 12:12 pm //

Joseph, it does look to be in the middle of flat nowhere, (and with a mean dog across the street)! Is that the case? I’m looking to move out of smoky southern Oregon.

14. akd1953 (227 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 3:54 pm //

Looks perfect to retire to and yet have somethin to do (renovate a house). I would have liked to see more of the inside but perhaps the integrity of the floors is questionable. With the beware of dog across the street I’d put up a fence asap.

15. Maybe it’s a southern thing but putting a sign up that says “Beware of Dog” doesn’t always mean “Beware of Cujo”.

• Julles Julles (541 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 6:31 pm //

Just as a side note, the first beware of dog sign was found on a house in Italy that they believe had an Italian Greyhound which is greyhound that weighs about 7 lbs. They think it meant don’t step on the dog when you come in. Nerd moment.

16. GoddessOdd (194 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 4:42 pm //

I agree Kelly, I think it is a southern thing, and often “Beware of Dog” signs are meant more to convince strangers that your ancient, toothless and adorable best friend is really quite fierce and a huge deterrent to crime, especially in the hinterlands. My neighbors have signs up everywhere, but the biggest risk their dogs pose is that they might knock you over in an effort to lick your face.

I really want to see the inside, so hopefully someone can get photos. I am waiting to see how much of my roof survives Irma…I am outside Orlando, so hopefully it will have lessened in intensity by the time it reaches us. Pray for all of Florida though, it’s not going to be pretty.

17. GoddessOdd (194 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 4:48 pm //

There is a rather nice 1832 house pretty close to this one, that was featured on this site recently, I think. What is going on in Society Hill that they have so many nice old houses offered for sale?

18. CharlestonJohn CharlestonJohn (604 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 5:02 pm //
  19. montana channing (199 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 5:30 pm //

that front door treatment is top notch. the Italianate doors combined with both sidelights and toplights surmounted by a pediment – really fine detailing. the interior doesn’t look too trashed considering no one has lived there for 30 odd years. the fact that the ceiling medallion is pristine would seem to mean plaster is still holding.

20. etzkorn (6 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 5:44 pm //

Where is the drive way?

21. Deb (10 comments) - 09/10/2017 at 12:29 pm //

Virginia, the first thing I thought of was the house in Big Fish! What a charmer this is

22. Amelia (1 comments) - 09/10/2017 at 9:41 pm //
  23. tess (134 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 1:40 pm //

Any chance this was a school house? Seen very similar double doors on several old southern school buildings. Fits the design of those schools, long front to back, two rooms per width, enclosed “dog trot”, elaborate front porch. Any history available?