September 8, 2017: Link Exchange & Discussion

Happy Friday! This is where you share your old house finds, articles or general chit chat. Link to real estate or newspaper sites that do not require you to register to view and make sure your link goes to the house you want to share. Just paste the link in the comment box below, no HTML codes needed. To keep email notifications from being marked as spam, no more than 10 links per comment (you can make as many comments as you want just no more than 10 per comment.)

Special thanks to this weeks PayPal Donators!
Ray • M. Clark • Grandmoi • Polly
Book of the Week!

Victorian Architectural Details: Designs for Over 700 Stairs, Mantels, Doors, Windows, Cornices, Porches, and Other Decorative Elements by A. J. Bicknell & Co.

“Originally published over 130 years ago by one of America’s leading architectural firms, this volume provided prospective homeowners and other customers with a wide range of design alternatives. While the collection includes elevations and floor plans for a variety of handsome, private residences and commercial structures, the emphasis is on architectural details โ€” from cornices, dormer windows and piazzas, to balconies, fireplace mantels, and gable ornaments. A delight for anyone who appreciates the charm of Victorian architecture.”

162 Comments on September 8, 2017: Link Exchange & Discussion

1. peeweebc peeweebc (146 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 7:11 pm //

What a cool house, is that yours Kelly?? Love it.
    Here is another in our ‘hood.

Everyone is the path of you know who, I’m thinking of you. Stay safe.

2. Lauren Empey (1 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 7:11 pm //

Hi, thanks for sharing this listing! It’s a beautiful 1800s adobe home with a lot to offer.

• Bethany (1770 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 11:30 pm //

The listing says 1965; I believe there must be remnants of the old adobe left but they sure are hard to find. I live near Valley Center and it’s a great area and the property looks lovely. It seems pretty accurately priced to me for five acres with all those amenities.

• Bethster (527 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 8:27 pm //

Where is the adobe? The main house, to me, isn’t easy to date, since so much has been redone. That water tower building is real cute, though. And I love all the trees!

• Bethster (527 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 8:39 pm //

Oh, I see the listing says there are 12-inch adobe walls. Are any of them exposed? In some photos I saw a few walls I thought could be adobe, but they’re so smooth, I wouldn’t have guessed it. I’m sure it’s easier to tell if you’re actually there and not looking at photos.

3. RachelMed (33 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 7:31 pm //

I’m eager to see the inside of this house and just how bad it probably is for that price ($28,000!). I know Ellenville is not the most booming of places so you probably wouldn’t get your money back if it needed a ton of work. Still, the idea of horse barns adds to the intrigue! (you can see them better in the bing maps birdseye view)

This one needs help but a lot of potential. And are my eyes messing with me or is that an oxidized copper door…or just a bad, old paint job?

• jeklstudio (705 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 9:14 pm //

I believe it’s a very faded paint job.. this poor, poor house. It’s condition makes me want to weep.

• RachelMed (33 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 11:15 pm //

Yeah, I think it probably is too. It needs some TLC!

• Dr. Peterson (28 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 2:07 pm //

It’s a chalky oxidation of the old paint on the door. Probably has leaded paint as well, and no only on the door, but throughout the property.

Great project house. I’ll have to think about taking this on…… Very tempting.

• Ross Ross (2526 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 12:57 pm //

Tempting, indeed! The CT house is totally fabulous! I also like how close it is to NYC.

In an ideal situation, one could spend a few days a week in the city (in a studio apartment), and the rest of the week in this expansive pile!

• Bethany (1770 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 11:32 pm //

I love your finds, they are my favorite kind! That first house just piques the imagination. I sure would like to see inside as well as the original barn they mentioned in the listing. The second one looks like an enjoyable project for someone who just wants to love an old house back to life.

• natira121 Julie (86 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 3:22 pm //

Wow 170 Jackson is awesome… in my imagination *grin*

I’d be tempted to clear coat the “copper” door and frame, at least until the entire house was restored, then strip it and make it grand again.

I love that it sits on a knoll like that. Reminds me of a house in my area that is of the same style, sits on a knoll, and has a HUGE weeping beech in the front.

• joy joy (77 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 10:09 pm //

The Thomaston, CT house is so sad, but so wonderful.

• peeweebc peeweebc (146 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 10:42 pm //

poor baby, crying out for help on top of that hill. It’s got the same rope trim on the exterior as our’s. whhaaa!

4. Cora Cora (1096 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 7:49 pm //

Modern kitchen and bathroom, but the rest has been nicely preserved!

Woodbine, KS

5. mary beth gannon-keegan (12 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 8:21 pm //

Pretty Queen Anne featured in the highly anticipated upcoming film “Slice” https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/513-Western-Ave_Joliet_IL_60435_M83956-40062

• John Shiflet John Shiflet (4848 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 3:44 pm //

Nice house. I’ve been curious for some time about this transitional Queen Anne down the street: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/903-Western-Ave-Joliet-IL-60435/5476272_zpid/?fullpage=true The listing photos seem fairly recent although the last sale is stated as back in 1995. Anyone know what the current status is of this faded but fine old home? Of course, the taxes are nearly $10K a year but the generous size carriage house with an apartment above perhaps could be rented to help offset the high taxes. 513 Western looks like a blank canvas inside waiting for interior decorating. Western Avenue must have been (and perhaps still is) a prominent Joliet street in the Victorian era based on the fine period homes remaining.

• Mary Beth Gannon-Keegan (12 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 5:02 pm //

Hi John, my husband just bought the house you mentioned/903 Western, so we’re now selling our old house 513 Western, which is super clean and ready to go. We never planned to move again unless 903 came up for sale. 903 needs everything… we just put in new wiring, plumbing, putting in a new boiler and replacement radiators. There’s a ten foot wide hole in the dining room ceiling too. We’ve been working on it since May and have a long way to go. When I get further along, I’ll post some pics of the progress. Western Ave is our nicest street, it’s in our historic district. A lot of city employees live on our street/neighborhood.

• RT (31 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 9:11 pm //

What is the carriage house like on 903? Any plans for it? Lovely streetview!

• mary beth gannon-keegan (12 comments) - 09/10/2017 at 7:00 pm //

It has living quarters upstairs with bathroom, the downstairs we mostly use for storage. You can park in it, store things in it or both. We live walking distance from University of St.Francis and were originally going to turn it into a student rental but never got around to it.

• John Shiflet John Shiflet (4848 comments) - 09/10/2017 at 10:19 am //

Congratulations on acquiring 903 Western. You folks have excellent tastes in old houses. Will you have a blog or perhaps a Facebook page documenting your restoration/renovation? I believe that you have many happy years to look forward to living at 903 Western. Thanks for sharing some information about the neighborhood. It’s encouraging to hear Western Avenue remains a prestigious address.

• mary beth gannon-keegan (12 comments) - 09/10/2017 at 7:02 pm //

I’m thinking about doing a blog, for now I just put it on my own Facebook page and on the Owners of Victorian Homes page on Facebook. Send me a friend request. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Rosewater Rosewater (2669 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 1:54 pm //

Hey Mary Beth. Sounds like you guys are super busy up there in Joliet! I posted your house here in the share last St. Patrick’s day, (since it was home to Packy Mcfarland of course). Such a great old place. Good for you for having a go at it! Would appreciate it if you could post that link here in the share for those of us who don’t use Farcebook so we can admire your efforts as well. Cheers! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Sue Sue (1165 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 10:46 pm //

Yes, please keep us posted and let us know if you start a blog. Congratulations!!

• So you did buy the house! Hope you’ll stop by the post and say hi there too.

And please do a blog! Or even a Facebook page if it’s easier (if it’s public then I don’t believe a Facebook account is needed for others to just look at it.)

6. TimO (9 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 8:27 pm //

1930s modern, national register home in Virginia
    405 Winchester St, Warrenton, VA 20186

$1,775,000 | 5 Bed โ€ข 6 Bath

• Laurie W. (1378 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 5:20 pm //

What an elegant house. As pretty outside as inside.

• Lancaster John (160 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 7:40 pm //

Cool find. It definitely has moderne influence, but the brickwork and exterior massing suggest something almost tudor-ish. I like it, thanks for sharing.

• JimH JimH (3751 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 8:46 pm //

Thanks TimO! The Moderne house in Virginia has an interesting backstory involving a divorced lady owner whose Tudor home on the same site had burned. NRHP report here:

The exterior is great but the interior has been rehabbed almost to death with the loss of some wonderful 1930’s high end details, I’m sure. This glimpse of a surviving bath is quite a tease!

• Bethster (527 comments) - 09/10/2017 at 1:52 am //

I was wondering about that bath. I suspect it may be new. I have no solid reason for saying that; just a spidey sense. That’s actually what made me go looking for the earlier listing I remembered (though it turns out that bath isn’t shown in it). I feel like the style isn’t quite right (especially the sink), plus it looks like it’s in perfect condition.

By the way, sorry for my redundant post of that nomination linkโ€”your post wasn’t showing up yet when I posted it.

• StevenF (100 comments) - 09/10/2017 at 7:50 am //

I have to agree. Someone took a unique and wonderful art moderne house and spent a lot money to turn it into a traditional center hall colonial. I hope it can be rolled back.

• Bethster (527 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 9:21 pm //

And this is from an older listing. I remembered that it was for sale before, and went hunting. I’d forgotten how beautiful the grounds were in these photos. The property last sold in 2010, so this listing may be from then, though to me it doesn’t seem like it was that long ago.

• Rosewater Rosewater (2669 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 2:07 pm //

Great find TimO. Super interesting! Hard to tell about the bath; but it’s certainly intriguing. I’m guessing that the house was designed by the Swiss architect to replace the former structure, not a “remodel”. It sure looks all of a whole to me. Such an unusual blend of estate size rambling enfilade mansion with 30’s modernity. I’ve certainly never seen the like. I think that’s probably the prettiest brick I’ve ever seen. Cool. Thanks’

7. Cora Cora (1096 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 8:47 pm //

Built in 1883, this has been mostly modernized. However, the carved design of the staircase is so unusual – I can’t tell if it’s original.

Enterprise, KS

• Hoyt Clagwell (90 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 8:24 am //

Hard to tell conclusively from photos, but while the handrails and posts are original, the rest of that looks to be clumsily homemade approximations of what might have originally been there. The newel post itself looks like a mix of antique parts and newer, poor quality reconstructions.

8. Cora Cora (1096 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 9:03 pm //

Although the paint colors may not be everyone’s preference, paint is cosmetic. Neat house:

Abilene, KS

• Bethany (1770 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 11:33 pm //

Who does that??? Well as you say, paint is cosmetic and there’s a great house under there somewhere!

• JeSouth (20 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 2:01 pm //

I wonder if the current owners are University of Florida Gator Fans – they “bleed orange and blue” – ha ha! Must not be any historical society there in Abilene to be sure the house colors are historically accurate.

• Dr. Peterson (28 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 2:15 pm //

Wow! Who does that to a house…..a neighborhood…..a town?

• John Shiflet John Shiflet (4848 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 3:50 pm //

If it were mine, I could give up drinking coffee in the morning…all I would have to do is walk outside and stare at the colors for 5 minutes to become wide awake. Seriously, the house itself is fairly nice but toning down the colors would make most prospective buyers happy. Of course, if those are a local school’s or a sports team’s colors, then the colors might be a positive selling point.

• Cathy F. (1074 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 7:38 pm //

You wouldn’t even need to go outside, IMO; just go downstairs and see that very bright marine blue color in the stair hall or the huge contrast of the bright blue against the stark white of the kitchen!

As to the exterior, I completely agree – would work fine if the same colors were muted. Maybe the person who chose the paint colors is color blind, lterally not seeing how bright they appear to most people?? If not, well.. they just like bright colors, I guess…

• Joe (321 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 10:39 pm //

What do you say to the pizza delivery driver? Just look for the ORANGE house.

• Bethany (1770 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 11:38 pm //

The first house is the one I would buy if I were shopping.

The house on Ridge Street may have always had white woodwork given it’s build date and style. I’m not an expert though, just an OHD devotee.

“I have many more, but Realtor.com seems to be down right now. I guess I better get back to watching the Weather Channel!” Well it’s Friday on OHD so maybe we all broke it doing searches! LOL

• JeSouth (20 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 1:56 pm //

Bethany. That’s funny, I had the same thought about too many OHD people looking for houses. I just love seeing all these unique houses and all the skill that went into the details.

• Nnelson (49 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 11:35 am //

I love that cabin on Lake Superior. I only wish it was on a lake farther south. I can’t deal with the snow anymore.

9. Anne M. (399 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 9:53 pm //

I love this week’s house Kelly! I hope it is still standing, too.
    A very large 1870 Second Empire, underneath the whimsical decor there are a lot of original details – check out the built-in curio cabinet and don’t miss the interior window surrounds.
    Another house from 1870, very cool front porch
    No idea whether this was a hotel of some kind or perhaps a school? Several buildings beside the 1845 house in the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Berkshire-County-MA/2094478156_zpid/2628_rid/1720-1935_built/globalrelevanceex_sort/42.827638,-72.298279,41.957447,-74.157715_rect/8_zm/5_p/

• RachelMed (33 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 10:13 pm //

OMG I am in love with that Grafton house!!! That loft space in the carriage house is wonderful too.

• Bethany (1770 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 11:41 pm //

The little place in Northampton gets my money! Adorable!

• Jenny Wiebler (140 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 7:37 am //

totally agree! That place in South Grafton is amazing. I love the artwork and how colorful and unique the whole house is. Thanks for sharing that, Anne M.!

• Mardib (22 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 10:50 am //

So intrigued by the Berkshire house(s). Lots of land too

• Lancaster John (160 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 5:55 pm //

This property in the Berkshires was the location of the Kushi Institute, a wellness-macrobiotic retreat center. Here’s an article: http://www.berkshireeagle.com/stories/kushi-institute-closes-owes-becket-nearly-50000,499106
        It seems to me that the main house was likely built in the early 20th century as a rural retreat for a wealthy owner. The unfinished woodwork and the natural stone porches scream “rustic lodge.” And Rosewater, there is a super original cast iron range in the kitchen…
        It is assessed at over 2 million but for sale at $750,000. It is a lot of property, both built and acreage, for the money.

10. BugLady (31 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 10:37 pm //

I found this really. Eat place with an even cooler back story. It was brought to Ohio from Connecticut in 1995. It was built in 1796 and has housed a former president or two.

Check out this home at Realtor.com
    4beds ยท 4+baths
    250 Potters Ln, Granville

Here’s a link to a NYT article about it.

• Bethany (1770 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 11:43 pm //

This isn’t my usual preferred style of old house but Wowsers, what a beauty! I’m a convert! The interior is just lovely to match the lovely exterior.

• Lancaster John (160 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 5:40 pm //

Does anybody know why it went to Ohio when it was supposed to go to Connecticut College (per the NYT article)?

• Laurie W. (1378 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 5:42 pm //

Oh man, what a gorgeous example of Greek Revival! The exterior is so beautiful on so many levels. Granville is the winner in this lottery, acquiring this house. It is real good fortune that it was saved, when it could easily have been lost or damaged in the move & reconstruction. Thank good sense that it wasn’t over-restored as many houses of this vintage are — unevenness, nicks & dents left in woodwork, stair rails, etc. BugLady, you made my day with this one!

• dj (114 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 6:35 pm //

This is my hometown and I never knew this ! The article said it was to be moved to a college campus-wonder how it ended up here?

• Cathy F. (1074 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 9:48 pm //

OMG, that house is just beautiful!! I even love the hallway’s color scheme, incl. its wallpaper. Actually, I like virtually all of this home’s furnishings & would gladly keep them. I kept thinking: ooh, I’ll take that chair, that sofa, that secretary… ๐Ÿ˜‰ The bathrooms were the only rooms which left me ho-hum.

11. Sascha (63 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 12:45 am //

This house is on Fox Island, by Gig Harbor. I think the first picture is of the back of the house, although I think it’s being used as the front entrance. This house looks a bit “stripped” to me, you can see scars on the walls where there may have once been some detail.

12. Daughter of George Daughter of George (692 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 3:57 am //

I love the flowers festooning the porch in this week’s antique photo. Imagine how fragrant and lovely it would be to sit there of an evening!

13. Daughter of George Daughter of George (692 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 4:17 am //

Last year, Kelly treated us to the listing for Acorn Hall, an Italianate beauty in Indiana that had us all swooning.

Toward the end of the listing comments, the buyer, Bill Smith, wrote in about his family’s plan to restore the house.

Here’s an update from the current Indiana Landmarks newsletter, telling how the Smiths are rescuing the house after its long saga of foreclosure, vacancy and vandalism. Some nice pictures of this extraordinary home.

• John Shiflet John Shiflet (4848 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 3:59 pm //

That is very encouraging news about Acorn Hall. Thanks for sharing. Then there is the Newkirk Mansion in the small town of Connersville near Richmond, IN, that needs a similar rescuer. All told, there are a number of large 19th century homes throughout Indiana and the Midwest that await someone with vision and deep pockets to save them before they are gone. All too often, they are left to the forces of neglect until saving them becomes all but impossible. We can hope the Acorn Hall story will inspire others to take on similar project houses.

• Dr. Peterson (28 comments) - 09/10/2017 at 4:41 pm //

I’m pursuing Newkirk if it’s available for acquisition. I’ve gotten in touch with the historical society fellow. We’ll see…..

• John Shiflet John Shiflet (4848 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 11:10 am //

That is also very encouraging to learn, Dr. Peterson. The Newkirk Mansion sits up on a picturesque hilly rise with great views, I’ve been told. (Reverend) Jim Orr is mentioned on the Landmark’s page as a local contact; he and I exchanged a couple of emails about the Newkirk House although he is not directly involved. Mr. Orr referred me to Dr. Ronald Morris at Ball State University in Muncie who is keen to see the landmark home saved from oblivion-his contact info: http://cms.bsu.edu/academics/collegesanddepartments/history/facultyandstaff/faculty/morrisronald Indiana Landmarks is also anxious for a buyer to come forth before the house reaches a catastrophic state of neglect. A sound roof would be the essential first step to saving the Newkirk. I believe, based on the information I’ve received, that the Newkirk House is in slightly better condition than Acorn Hall but Rev. Orr opined that it might take up to $2 million for a total restoration of the property. Dr. Morris, on the other hand, felt perhaps a tenth of that figure would bring it back up to a habitable level. The truth is that there is no upper limit to how much one can spend on a house rehab depending on your budget and creative imagination. You would instantly become a preservation hero in my estimation if you decided to take on the Newkirk Mansion. Since Connerville is located in Fayette County, the Eastern district Indiana Landmarks office is in Cambridge (in the restored 1840’s Huddleston farmhouse) and you would need to discuss the matter with the folks (J.P. Hall, director) at the Eastern office: https://www.indianalandmarks.org/contact/eastern-regional-office/
          Restoring the Newkirk would be beyond our budget but I would still like to facilitate or otherwise help in its rescue in any way I can. If I can be of any assistance, you’re most welcome to contact me at vintrest@yahoo.com Newkirk Mansion site: https://www.indianalandmarks.org/endangered-property/newkirk-mansion-endangered/

14. Daughter of George Daughter of George (692 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 6:03 am //

This week’s OHD listing of a Greek Revival in Society Hill, SC put me in mind of another house in that historic little town.

While the home shown in the below link is now off the market, it represents the beauty of Southern architecture and Society Hill’s emphasis on preservation. It has a delicious curvilinear staircase (thank you, Dr. Peterson) — and a nice tile bath as well!

15. CharlesB (222 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 7:06 am //

SUNSET BOULEVARD–Hewn out of the side of a cliff, like most of the rest of the city of Waterbury, CT:

In the bucolic village of Winchester Center, in the Litchfield Hills of northwestern Connecticut, an 1820s Federal gussied up a generation later in the Italianate mode:

• Bethster (527 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 9:33 pm //

That Waterbury house is beautiful. I love the windows.

• John (22 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 10:27 pm //

The Waterbury house is nice, but you will find the town a shell of its ‘ Brass Capital of the World’ self. Since major companies like American Brass and Scovill have bit the dust there, the town has declined precipitously. There isn’t much at all to recommend it–its poverty, crime, and grime led a Connecticut politician to remark, when asked why he wasn’t campaigning there, to say ‘it’s where the forces of evil meet the forces of slime.’ I remember it as a bustling manufacturing hub, but returning there left me gasping at what it has become. There are some beautiful Chuches, some facing closure, and the green used to be beautiful too. When I visited, the green was spattered with litter, bums, and homeless people. Given the town’s great history, it is really depressing. The gorgeous Palace Theater was restored, and requires an army of security people when events are held there. I always hope it will see a revival, yet unless business picks up, and welfare drops, I have a hard time seeing it.

16. RonnieH (52 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 11:11 am //

Another St. Joseph back on the market. $159,900 CASH.
    Current listing only shows 1 photo from the street, but thanks to OHDs it has been listed before with inside pictures…absolutely amazing. Congrats to sellers for “This home is being sold with covenants, property has to remain a single family home and architectural elements can not be removed.”
    New listing:
    Old OHDs post:

• John Shiflet John Shiflet (4848 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 4:21 pm //

A good friend of mine rented and served as a house sitter during the time I lived and worked in St. Joseph. I was thus privileged to see this fine home several times. Zoning was non-existent in St. Joe when this house was built so it overshadows the smaller modest houses standing around it. Some suggest that the mansion (known as the McNeely Mansion) was designed by gifted architect-designer Harvey Ellis who worked in St. Joe for several years during the late 1880’s into the early 1890’s and was associated with the town’s top two architects, Edmund (or Edmond) J. Eckel and George Mann. An Ohio friend shared a portfolio of George Mann’s architectural design work from 1901 (as I recall) and some of the design illustrations still had a Harvey Ellis signature in the margin. Ellis finished his career as chief designer for Gustav Stickley and those furniture pieces attributed to Ellis bring top dollar. The McNeely Mansion is also reputed to be haunted..here’s a Youtube video from a Kansas City paranormal investigative team: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rgfCLrRNDM I know at times when I was at the house it did have a creepy feeling to it. Much of the beautiful but fragile Arizona red sandstone blocks and carvings have suffered from the century plus of Missouri winters so replacements would be costly. The interior needed updates years ago so if nothing has changed, that too would be fairly expensive. Good to hear it has preservation covenants in place to protect it from misguided rehabilitation. The views from the tower balcony porch of this house are superb.

• Dr. Peterson (28 comments) - 09/10/2017 at 5:01 pm //

Love that house…..seen it many times from the outside. My great-grandfather “let mail contracts” in St. Jo for the Pony Express. And my uncle was the chief design architect for the KC Int’l Airport, Arrowhead Stadium (both) and many other KC landmarks. St. Jo has a plethora of wonderful architecture. This property needs someone with special sensitivity toward the design elements…..and lest not forget the financial ability to do what’s necessary. I’d like to follow the trials and successes of the new owners in their restoration work.

• Scott Cunningham (293 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 4:42 pm //

Great place, although not in the best neighborhood. I vaguely remember a discussion on this property with my friend who owns St Joe’s Shakespeare Chateau. She said that the home had been vacant, and that break ins were starting to become an issue. Some of the better interior fixtures and features have been stolen or damaged.

Glad to see the renovation and conservation conditionals in the sales offer. A major issue in St Joe is people buying up these gilded age masterpieces at a pittance, and then stripping them out for resale in the salvage market. Then the shell of the house is abandoned, or simply left vacant and allowed to fall into decay and ruin. The economic reality is that the parts of the house are worth more on the open market than the houses are themselves.

Love the dead-end porte-cochere. I would so use that as the parking slot for my car!! Can only imagine the view from that tower.

• Bethster (527 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 9:42 am //

I wish more classic, unmuddled homes had covenants like that. I wonder how enforceable they are? I guess the seller would have to keep an eye on the house (check-up visits? future RE listings?) to see if there’ve been changes, and then file a lawsuit if there have been. Has anyone heard of that happening?

17. SandyF (77 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 11:47 am //

Sharing an interesting Spanish “home/business” in Pasadena. Take the time to look at all of the photos. Beautiful fixtures, interesting history. Pasadena is full of history and beautiful homes.

18. Daughter of George Daughter of George (692 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 12:23 pm //

Sandy, thank you for that delightful Spanish hacienda! The vintage photos are wonderful. Especially the (1920s?) photo of customers having tea in the courtyard.

19. Lancaster John (160 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 5:04 pm //

I don’t think many of us are in the million-plus market, but it is fun to look. Here are some very old (pre-1800) homes in Bucks County, PA. Pricing here reflects its location as a rural retreat for both Philadelphia and New York.

This one rather reminds me of Katherine Hepburn’s horse estate in the movie “Philadelphia Story.” https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5453-York-Rd-New-Hope-PA-18938/2093131084_zpid/?fullpage=true

Lovely 1750 stone home in New Hope. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/43-Street-Rd-New-Hope-PA-18938/2102788830_zpid/?fullpage=true

You have to give the realtor bonus points for over-the-top language: “When your guests and family members enter the grounds of Curl Creek Farm, for a brief enigmatic moment, they will believe that they have become part of a living canvas by Currier & Ives.” Aside from Enigmatic Moments, it says this one was built in 1700. I think that’s a bit early but who can say. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5595-Ridge-Rd-New-Hope-PA-18938/8982725_zpid/?fullpage=true

Some parts of this home likely date from the claimed build date of 1742: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2195-Holicong-Rd-New-Hope-PA-18938/8982332_zpid/?fullpage=true

For a mere 800K, I think I like this one the best. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/492-New-Galena-Rd-Chalfont-PA-18914/9051438_zpid/?fullpage=true

20. cheryl plato (126 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 6:47 pm //

Am enamored with everything about this 1845 would leave it exactly as is, says the furniture conveys. What is a “seasonal home” The street view is beautiful too, as is the whole town
    1900 Sea Captain’s house. Love the whole neighborhood.
    1800 once the Post Office, love those ancient stone walls

• Lancaster John (160 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 8:11 pm //

I should think a “seasonal home” is one which the owners only use as a summer house (or something like that.) Maybe it doesn’t have heat. I too think it’s great as-is, I even like the wallpaper. I wish more old houses were not “restored” but appreciated as time capsules like this one.

• Cathy F. (1074 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 11:24 pm //

Agreed. I would assume, esp. given its location, that “seasonal home” = a summer home, prob with no central htg. Around here (western Mohawk Valley) a lot of people have a “camp” up in the Adirondacks where they spend a lot of time in the summers, usually near or on one of the many lakes up there. But the “camp” is actually a house, however not always with a furnace.

21. Joseph Rice (291 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 7:40 pm //

Here is one in Waldoboro Maine. I stopped and took pictures of this earlier in the year; I loved the fact that the exterior had faded, yet had not been altered – just left to weather. I wanted this as a subject for a painting – to live in I think I would want it refurbished. Not quite sure of the parking situation or if it has its own driveway. The building across the street I think is reopened/expanded as a restaurant, and I wonder if the parking in front of this house is part of the property or public.

22. joy joy (77 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 10:05 pm //

This is not a specific house listing, but there are 3 homes looking for new owners in Franklin, Indiana. All 3 of them look to be “old” houses.

From the article:
    “Three homes and two vacant lots that Franklin city workers have spent hours mowing, cleaning and maintaining are set to go up for sale.
    The goal is to get the properties cleaned up and owned by someone who will do the needed maintenance, so that responsibility โ€” and the cost โ€” doesnโ€™t fall to the city.
    All five properties have been vacant for years. The homes are in disrepair, and the land is overgrown. But officials see potential, said Rhoni Oliver, code enforcement officer.
    A committee will look at the offers once they are turned in later this month, and is hoping to award the properties by early to mid-October, she said.
    The winners wonโ€™t necessarily be the highest bidders, Oliver said.
    Committee members will be looking at multiple factors, including the proposed price, but also what the buyer wants to do with the property, she said. For example, someone who wants to restore the original wood siding and windows, rather than replace them with vinyl, would be scored higher. A buyer who plans to live in the home, rather than rent it, would also get priority, she said.

โ€œWe are asking what is going to be the best thing for the neighborhood,โ€ Oliver said.”

• John Shiflet John Shiflet (4848 comments) - 09/10/2017 at 10:28 am //

That’s encouraging news, Joy. So many smaller towns across the Midwest simply see such houses as “blight” and then take Federal community block grant funds and use them for demolitions. The small cottage would work well for a single person or couple while the other town are large enough for a family. The ornate Italianate would look splendid following a full restoration.

23. Don Richards (50 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 11:34 pm //

I had to post this one, it just came on the market and it desperately needs to find someone who can see the potential. Thomaston is a sleepy little mill town in the Northwest Hills of CT. I know it looks a tad like the house in Psycho, but it seems like it can still be brought back.

24. natira121 natira121 (86 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 11:39 pm //

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to update everyone about the fire, etc. My son, his wife and new daughter are home safe and all is well. He still thinks she’s adorable *grin*

We’ve gotten a few sprinkles, not even enough to settle the dust and ash, but the humidity and light wind has helped the firefighters quite a bit. The smoke has cleared enough to allow helicopters to drop water. I was watching them just a while ago, but I think they’ve either stopped for the night, or more likely, moved to a different area

It’s finally clear enough to see the damage from my house. It’s not anything near as bad as I expected, given the hillside of flames on Tuesday morning! Yes, there are trees burned, but it’s not just a huge burnt wasteland….. it appears most of the fire we could see was underbrush which didn’t get into the trees, except in smallish pockets.

There are a few houses we can see from here, and they are all fine, though I bet those people were shi**ing kittens Tuesday, watching the fire come up the hill at them!!!!

My son lives 21 miles further east, and there’s a lot more burnt areas there. He said the entire hillside across from them is burnt black. The fire is still very active there.

The fire near us is still burning, but the firefighters have done an amazing job of bulldozing firebreaks around it, and keeping it contained. The gorge is a rugged, steep place. I can’t imagine bulldozing on those hillsides!

We are supposed to get hot again on Monday and Tuesday, and the wind is supposed to switch back around from the east, but I don’t think it will be an issue for us. Of course, it could be, so we’re ready.

The weather will cool dramatically on Wednesday, and stay that way for the foreseeable future. I sure hope so. The heat has been bad this year for us Northwesterners, after an atrocious winter, especially here in the gorge. I think we could all do with some nice boring days of rain, like normal!

Thank you all for your kind words of support, and your prayers. It really helps me stay grounded. And a special thanks to Kelly, our beloved host. Coming to this site has been part of my morning coffee routine every morning since I discovered it, with the exception of Tuesday, and it was SO overwhelmingly comforting to come back on Wednesday morning. It really made me feel like everything was going to be okay.

(Yeah, I know. I’m a wind-bag *grin*)

• Thanks for the update natira, glad to hear the fire is being contained!

• natira121 natira121 (86 comments) - 09/10/2017 at 9:53 am //

Kelly, Is Irma going to affect you in Georgia?

• I don’t know, the latest maps show it took a turn so we’ll only have to worry about some rain and a little bit of wind in my part of Georgia.

• Cathy F. (1074 comments) - 09/10/2017 at 8:51 pm //

Fingers crossed, Kelly! ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿผ So far, it does look like Irma may head more westward.
            Natira – Sounds much better than might’ve been expected; good! Friends in the PNW this year have also told of the heat & now the wildfires – with ash settling everywhere, lousy air for breathing, low visibilty… while here in NYS it’s been a lot of rain, rain, & more rain since spring, more like the PNW usually is!

25. Noelle (22 comments) - 09/10/2017 at 4:14 am //

A 1903 house in Berkeley, CA. Needs quite a bit of work but the woodwork seems to be undamaged.

Really cute 1913 house in Columbus, GA.

• EileenM (141 comments) - 09/10/2017 at 10:49 am //

OMG!!! I love the Columbus, GA house. I am at an age when I probably should think about downsizing from my 4 bedroom tract colonial. (Not a house I would prefer to live in, but it’s where I ended up via compromise.) That little cottage would be perfect for me if it weren’t in Georgia!

• Bethany (1770 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 11:31 am //

The house in Berkeley is awesome! I love everything about it right down to what appears to be a hoosier cabinet in the kitchen. So much to work with here! For the area, the price is actually not so bad either, and reflects the work needed.

26. Gemma (135 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 8:43 am //

A Mid-Century Modern brought back to life after being found on Craigslist:

27. KTschnooks (60 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 10:13 am //

Hyde Park in Kansas City beauty, with some interesting exterior color that I actually love! An added bonus is that this home is within walking distance to Costco!

This home is quite large and majestic. I also think it would be neat to live so close to a botanical garden!

Another Kansas City gem, also located in Hyde Park.

Quincy, IL never seems to fail at providing amazing old homes.

This one drew me in from the exterior, but the inside was a tad underwhelming

• shellbell67 (127 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 5:17 pm //

The first Hyde Park house is amazing! This one got the colors right, whereas the Abilene house, not so much. ๐Ÿ™

• John (22 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 10:02 pm //

I’m sure the neighbors enjoy watching the TV in the Pipestone house, grab some snacks and put a speaker on the car door. Nice house in Quincy, beautiful stairhall.

28. Sarah Dillard (1 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 12:51 pm //

Here is a beautiful Tudor in Harvard MA- fine details inside and amazing grounds. http://www.tphazel.com/real-estate/40-bolton-rd-harvard-ma-01451/71978490/30501712

29. joy joy (77 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 12:56 pm //

I just saw this one on FB: a restored drug store with upstairs apartment. It’s pretty neat with tons of character.

• Bethster (527 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 5:16 pm //

That’s really cool! I’ll have to peruse it more closely when I’m not at work. ๐Ÿ˜‰

30. I’ve got to do a site update meaning I have to redo some coding including the front/archive layout. Looking at the layout of the home page now and comparing it to a grid layout like the pic below, would not having a description to glance at be bothersome? I’m talking about the front page and archive page layout, NOT the house post page which will remain the same.

See, with this site update it’s all new code so it’s not as easy as just keeping the front page as it is now, I have to recode it like new, grid or like the current layout. I’d like to know now before I spend another 20 hours with it and then everyone hate not seeing the descriptions (again, it’s the front & archive pages NOT the house post page.)

This doesn’t show it now but it will also display bed/bath/square footage.

• John Shiflet John Shiflet (4848 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 1:47 pm //

Provided the very handy drop-down search menu remains the same, the proposed changes appear to be acceptable. It’s good to be able to tell at a glance when the house/property was posted as well as the number of comments. That is my quick take on the proposed changes.

• Yes, the sidebar will remain the same. It’s just a different layout for the row of houses shown on the page/archived pages. So instead of right now being list format showing the description, the new one would be a grid as the pic with no description shown. Of course when you click on the house you want to look at, it’ll show the homes post page and that will be the same (so the post page shows the description.)

I like the grid layout better because you can view more houses on the home/archive pages than the current layout.

• Bethster (527 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 5:14 pm //

So it will show the year, style, location, and price, as above? That’s all I need at a glance, so I’d be happy with that.

• Yes, the only thing that won’t show on the home/archive pages is the description which will show like normal on the house post page.

• Cathy F. (1074 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 3:24 pm //

Works for me! Agree that would be better, seeing a bunch at a time, before going to their individual pages of details & pics.

• RachelMed (33 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 7:17 pm //

Grid is fine with me! I agree and like seeing more images per page.

31. Noelle (22 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 1:30 pm //

Looks great Kelly… I always love photoโ€™s.

1780 house in Royalston, MA. Outside looks great… inside not so much. Itโ€™s a massive mess.

32. John Shiflet John Shiflet (4848 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 1:42 pm //

In New Albany, Indiana, is this lovely Victorian Italianate which must belong to a collector-art enthusiast: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1626-Dewey-St-New-Albany-IN-47150/85247426_zpid/?fullpage=true New Albany is directly across the Ohio River from Louisville, KY so some residents commute across the River for work. A regional office of Indiana Landmarks is located in New Albany and the town features a number of nicely restored period homes. Fixer upper bargains can still be occasionally found in New Albany but prices for vintage homes appear to be going up.

• shellbell67 (127 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 5:47 pm //

This house has been on here before and is one of my very favorites! The house itself is super gypsy cool and the bathrooms are to die for!!
      You add the really awesome carriage house & it’s just a very unique & amazing house! I would live here a minute!

• Victoria (104 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 9:09 pm //

That New Albany home is to die for. I’m just skittish about being anywhere near that large a river again. Here in Atlanta, Irma passing through increased flooding risk even if one is near a minor creek. Luckily my power never went out. My big water oak and pecans have now been windstorm pruned.

Kelly, glad to hear you’re ok too. Grid layout looks great to me.

• Scott Cunningham (293 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 8:16 pm //

Thans for posting. The interior decoration in this house is excellent!

• Sue Sue (1165 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 9:59 pm //

The bathrooms on this house!!!! The whole place is just gorgeous. Such a shame it is right next to the apartment complex and surrounded by train tracks.

33. natira121 natira121 (86 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 2:35 pm //

I’m really glad to see that you’ve posted, I was beginning to wonder if Irma hadn’t knocked out your power or something.

The grid layout is fine!

I just wish there was a way to sort my favorites, kinda like the sidebar searches… by state, or price, or year, whatever. I don’t imagine that’s possible though.

Don’t strain your brain too much, you might need it later! *grin*

• Power hasn’t gone out yet but the wind is starting to get even scarier, gusts come and go. No trees down but a large branch fell where I normally park my car (husband moved it last night just in case, thank God!) Hoping no trees fall and power holds out. We just heard some tin make that sound it makes when it bends though, our roof is tin.

Will put a sort option on the favorite list on my “to do” list although I can’t say when.

Too late on the brain strain. I’ve done freaked out my husband once today. After spending hours on some code (I’m not a coder, I just have to figure things out as I do it) I screamed “There it goes!” He jumped up thinking I was talking about the tree in the backyard we are worried about. ๐Ÿ˜€ I was just talking about getting the description to wrap around the listing pic so maybe no grid layout if I can figure out the rest.

• shellbell67 (127 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 5:51 pm //

I like the grid layout too! I second the other opinion about being able to sort my favorites or have them marked somehow. I find myself looking at houses several times because I don’t realize that they’re already on my favorites. Maybe a little heart icon or something? ๐Ÿ˜‰
        Thanks so much for all you do here!

• On the house post page, if you’ve added it to your favorites list it should say “Remove from favorites” where you normally click to add to favorites. Is that the page you are talking about to show it’s a favorite?

34. natira121 natira121 (86 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 3:39 pm //

LOL!!!! I freak out my husband all the time like that!!! I’ll get all involved in some research about genealogy, ford trucks, gardening, medical stuff, horses, antiques, old houses, whatever, and I have a tendency to talk to myself and/or make exclamations, much to his annoyance

Hang in there!

35. Teri R (178 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 8:37 pm //

1920 with french doors, deep front porch, dormers, and iron fence around the yard! 1715 W Moss Ave, Peoria, IL Beautiful street in Peoria, IL

Auction was held – pictures were taken in the home with the items. Grand piano, old pictures, artwork, grand piano, Rolex watch…

36. Sue Sue (1165 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 10:12 pm //

I hope everyone in the path of the hurricane is safe and out of harms way.

After seeing the adorable Greek Revival for 70,000 dollars in Society Hill, SC I had to go look at other houses there. I found this gorgeous 1845 5,000 square foot beauty on 18 acres. I wish they showed the antebellum carriage house and cabin that are on the property too.

This is the Caleb Cooker house circa 1832. It is owned by the The Palmetto Trust for Historic Preservation. It sits on 7 beautiful acres.

Video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxfLjO87t34

This treasure. The Historic Sompayrac Store Complex built in 1815. “This store was operated continuously for 169 years by the same family until it closed in 1984. Since its closing the store and contents sat undisturbed for almost 30 years until the Palmetto Trust for Historic Preservation set it sights on preserving the store and adjacent structures.”

37. zoomey (272 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 11:48 pm //

Kelly, I hope you are OK! I see no posts after 3 p.m. today — did you lose your power? Blessings to all who are affected by Irma.

• Yeah eventually lost power for a few hours. Lots of yard work to do now, no trees down but many branches. And some roof damage, a couple of pieces of tin have come up at the seam but not sure it’s enough to file a claim over rather than just get someone to fix it.

38. Cora Cora (1096 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 12:27 am //

Porch-a-licious:

Far Rockaway, NY

39. Cora Cora (1096 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 12:55 am //

Check out the mod entrance hall in this (very expensive) 1920 beauty:

Neponsit, NY:

• Bethster (527 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 9:32 am //

Yikes. I wonder what that entry hall originally looked like? I don’t like the floor, but the pink color scheme is strangely appealing to me, I guess because it reminds me of the lobby of one of my favorite 1930s apartment buildings in NYC (91 Payson Avenue in Inwood):

• Cathy F. (1074 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 12:48 pm //

Lol, whereas I rather like the floor of that entry hall, but not the rest! As to the pink/black color scheme, all I could think of was “Poodle skirts.” ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Sue Sue (1165 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 10:44 pm //

Oooooooo, that front entrance hall is to die for.

40. Noelle (22 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 4:51 am //

Grand 1860 victorian in Athens, NY. I absolutely adore itโ€™s quirkiness…

41. Gemma (135 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 10:20 am //

Was looking for something else, and realtor.com popped up on the side with random listings. Here’s one from the late 1800s:

• Cathy F. (1074 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 12:59 pm //

Wow! You’re right, an eye-popper! Tons of unique features, & (save for the ho-hum kitchen) not afraid of color!

• Bethster (527 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 10:09 pm //

Double wow! There is so much to love here. I’ll need an hour or two to study this one.

• RachelMed (33 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 5:58 pm //

Loving the entry/foyer area and that amazing staircase and landing. They did a great job keeping it in such good condition.

• Joe (321 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 10:07 pm //

Hi Heidi,
      Love the house with so many good original features. It appears to me that the trim in many of the rooms appears to be a different wood. For example, I believe that the trim in the bedroom in photos 21, 22, and the bath in 25 is flame birch. Another room has cherry trim and what I shall call the music room looks like it could be mahogany. There is lots of quarter sawn oak in the downstairs. At the bottom of the listing, there was a link to this one in the same town. https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1469-Maine-St_Quincy_IL_62301_M88698-72259#photo1

• Scott Cunningham (293 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 1:20 pm //

Wow!!! Go to street view and take a virtual drive through that neighborhood. As superb as this house is, the others on the street blow it away.

• Joe (321 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 8:41 pm //

Hi Scott,
          I am not clear if you are referring to the Maine Street house that I referenced above or the great one on 18th St that Heidi sent in. The houses around the Maine Street one are certainly bigger, but the trees are the only thing that could put the house I referenced in the shade IMO. I can’t believe the beauty of the convex! mansard roof with its slate of many colors and wrought iron jewelry. The front is fully fenced with old wrought iron too. The exterior detailing is what blows me away, but I did and do like doing a gmaps walk around the neighborhood. I must say that it would be impossible to choose the best because there are so many diverse houses.

42. RobynMe (23 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 4:15 pm //

Clearly a fixer-upper, but it looks to me like most of the woodwork is there. My big concern is the crack showing over the rear porch. On the other hand – at $20K, there’s a lot that can be overlooked!

Maybe I should move to PA?

43. John Shiflet John Shiflet (4848 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 10:36 am //

Lincoln Avenue appears to have been a prestigious New Castle neighborhood at the turn of the last century judging by the surviving numbers of fine homes there. This particular house appears to be a transitional type of early Foursquare (probably c. 1900-1905) with residual late Victorian interior details. Most likely, there were classical columns originally on the porch later replaced with boxed columns. The jacks in the basement are not unusual for century old houses but their presence warrants a closer inspection for signs of settlement. As for the crack that runs across over the back exit, it might be worthwhile to consult a structural engineer familiar with old houses for the best approach to repair it. Check as well the foundation wall in this location for signs of settlement or deterioration. The roof is (expensive) slate but if in good repair (doesn’t leak) probably best to leave it in place. If a few slates are damaged. a good roofer experienced in working on slate roofs can usually replace those without having to replace all of them. Special supports are required for working on slate roofs because stepping on them will cause breakage. Overall, the house looks very appealing with many original details remaining. I especially like the spacious attic which could be finished out for an entertainment space, extra bedrooms, or artist studio. Nice find, thanks for sharing. Here’s a streetview image of the house probably from when the house was being cleaned out from the last resident: https://goo.gl/maps/wM7GjDpNBnz

44. Cora Cora (1096 comments) - 09/14/2017 at 6:43 pm //

Lots of potential in this one, in my hometown back in Kansas:

814 Market St.
    Emporia, KS

• RobynMe (23 comments) - 09/15/2017 at 9:29 am //

Hey – isn’t that around the corner from Ross? ๐Ÿ™‚

• Cora Cora (1096 comments) - 09/15/2017 at 10:17 am //

It is indeed! ๐Ÿ™‚ I grew up in Emporia. The beautiful Cross House is roughly 4 blocks from this home, if my memory serves me correctly.

• John Shiflet John Shiflet (4848 comments) - 09/15/2017 at 10:32 am //

The exterior accords with the 1902 listing date but the interior looks to be from a decade later with Arts & Crafts as well as Tudor accents. (A Tudor arch is above what appears to be an inglenook next to the fireplace) Lovely home; it also looks to be move in ready. Thanks for sharing.

45. Cora Cora (1096 comments) - 09/14/2017 at 11:00 pm //

Wow! Seems like a STEAL!

Madison, KS

• John Shiflet John Shiflet (4848 comments) - 09/15/2017 at 10:49 am //

Stunning low price even for a fixer upper. I’d be curious to see if there is a staircase (open or enclosed) and perhaps a mantel somewhere. At almost 2,000 sq. feet and a half acre size lot there’s a lot here for less than a good used car price. I take it Madison, Kansas isn’t a booming metropolis as the census in 2010 showed 701 residents while in 2016 the count is 641. I was pleasantly surprised to see some of the old brick paved streets remain in town. As it always seems to be the case in many small towns, there’s at least (or in some instances, was) one grand residence: (streetview) https://goo.gl/maps/6scsGsK2qCw The small community of Madison is not very far south of Emporia.

46. Cora Cora (1096 comments) - 09/15/2017 at 10:20 am //
  47. wzzzzupdoc wzzzzupdoc (3 comments) - 09/15/2017 at 11:53 am //

Rarely, do you see very many older homes posted on here from Arkansas. So, I wanted to share: below are the links…The first link is from Zillow. It is the Allen House located in Monticello, AR. If you google it, it is supposedly the most HAUNTED HOUSE in America!!! The second home is a grand home in Hot Springs, AR. It is very beautiful, well-maintained, and in a great area of the Natural State…Welcome to Arkansas. WOOOO PIG SOOOOIE, RAZORBACKS!

48. Liz Masich (1 comments) - 09/15/2017 at 12:16 pm //

The Williams-Morton House, a Victorian Queen Anne in Columbia County awaits it’s new owners. Featured on the cover of Old-House Interiors this home and it’s Guest House are stunning and true to period. The exterior of this towered villa features a beautiful mix of clapboards, fancy cut shingles and a slate roof. The gardens in the rear have been brought back to life and can be enjoyed on your patio among the beautiful wisteria or from the second floor balcony. Lovingly restored inside as well, with homage to original paint colors, wallpaper and design elements this property is the perfect palette to showcase your possessions. Hidden compartments, original lighting fixtures, double portieres, tiled fireplaces, beaded valances and fretwork all speak to details of this historic home. I would be honored to take interested buyers on a private tour of this stunning home. Liz Masich 570.441.2943 or 570.387.1600 https://lmasich.keypartnersrealty.com/-/listing/18736768/334-Mulberry-St-Berwick-PA-18603?content_index=5210761

49. John Shiflet John Shiflet (4848 comments) - 09/15/2017 at 1:01 pm //

Over-the-top Victorian decor is inside the house as well as world class landscaping on the outside. I suspect the house was far less ornate for a long period of time before the homeowner(s) diligently put back an authentic Queen Anne style interior interpreted as a high-end Victorian revival interior. For those who prefer more modern less effusive interiors, the lavish ornate interior probably would not have much appeal but for those who believe when it comes to Victoriana that more truly is more, this should suffice. Nice as well that the history of the property appears to be well documented. Thanks for re-sharing.