Specially selected historic real estate for old house enthusiasts.

1937 in Rensselaer, IN

Added to OHD on 1/25/23   -   Last OHD Update: 1/25/23

522 S Fleming Blvd, Rensselaer, IN 47978

Map: Aerial

• 3 Bed
  • 1.5 Bath
  • 2553 Sq Ft
  • 6,447 Ac.
Add your personality to this 4 Bedroom Home! Over 2500 SF, Great Room with Fireplace, Large Living Room and an office with plenty of room to work from home! A woodworking shop with electric that was heated at one time. Will need some TLC but could be a great space! Inspections are welcome but will be sold as is. Let's Go Look!
Agent Contact Info

Mary Critser, Cornerstone Real Estate Agency :: (219) 866-4528

Additional Links
DO NOT trespass! Schedule an appointment with a local agent to view the property.
Links are provided above for independent verification of listing details.
State: Region: | Associated Styles or Type:
Period & Associated Styles: , ,
Features: ,
Misc:
Notify of
12 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Grant
Supporter
5 days ago

I spy a NuTone kitchen center set into that countertop.

ChicagoCooperator
Reply to  Grant | 1565 comments
5 days ago

Oh yeah, I see that. And either a downdraft range (despite the hood) or more likely an old range that vented the ovens out a flue (town gas was nasty plus it keeps the kitchen cooler in summer).

SpringRobin
Reply to  Grant | 1565 comments
5 days ago

Thank you for mentioning this! I did not know what it was, and while looking online, I found this fun and informative video showing one in action!

The Maxwell Moment: The Appliance Connection – The Nutone Food Center – YouTube

Grant
Reply to  SpringRobin | 32 comments
5 days ago

We had a Brady Bunch style split level during part of my childhood. NuTone made several fun built-in household “convenience” appliances like the kitchen center, whole house intercoms with built in radio/hifi stereos and a few others. They were probably best known for the bathroom light/heater/vent ceiling units. Today there’s another company carrying on with the food center but the other home automation has fallen to the side for new mod-cons. The food centers were also popular in AirStream campers.

Laurie W.
Reply to  SpringRobin | 32 comments
4 days ago

That is a complete gas! Why don’t we still have things like that? We think we’re so advanced & as we drag appliances around the counter & kitchen when we could have ’em all together in a herd, so to speak. I just cackled at the high-spirited ice crusher, and its vodka-swilling mama.

Oh, I gather from Grant below that we DO have these wonderful things, just I guess not in my neck of the woods. Gotta start searching!

This house strikes me as somewhat confusing, as if it can’t decide whether to be a rustic overgrown cabin or a MCM. Something would have to be done to lighten it up if I were gonna bunk there.

Grant
Reply to  Laurie W. | 1812 comments
4 days ago

I think the sort of rustic, rough hewn rumpus room was originally the garage. For me this place would be big enough with that and I would convert it back. Definitely a vignette of a specific design era.

Komiza
Supporter
5 days ago

Surprised to see all the woodwork. Charming.

ChicagoCooperator
5 days ago

I did not expect that interior and it’s enthralling rusticness. It reminded me of a place a bit further north called South Haven that my mother always commented upon when we passed – the saltboxes…

Tomascz
5 days ago

They had me at the front door. Honey, I’m home!

J.Bell
4 days ago

Do we know the size of the property ???

6,447 Ac. seems like a typo for the price

Sashacat
4 days ago

I can’t stop looking at this house: all the different styles. It hit me during the night that it has some Swiss Miss elements. I never hear that term anymore, but it’s definitely here. And the different 60’s tile…the interior is so unlike the exterior.

Any idea what the rooms are in #23 & #24? Are they the workshop/garage or whatever in the last 2 photos? I see a window a/c unit and a wood stove, so someone must have used them at some point.

Grant
Reply to  Sashacat | 7 comments
4 days ago

Looking at the aerial there appears to be a workshop type building set off the side and rear of the house slightly I assumed that is where those images were taken.

Comments are reader and auto-moderated. If you feel a comment is inappropriate,
click the red flag at the top right of the offending comment. No political comments.

Commenting means you've read and will abide by the comment rules.
Click here to read the comment rules, updated 4/20/22.

OHD does not represent this home. You must independently verify listing details.
Send this to a friend