Sparta, TN – $64,900

Added to OHD on 9/13/17 - Last OHD Update: 9/13/17
710 Country Club Rd, Sparta, TN 38583 Map: Street View
  • Are you Handy? Historic Home on 1.75 Acres needs someone to bring it back to it's glory. Some research says this is a former home of General George Dibrell. No restrictions with all kinds of possibilities including a bed & breakfast, antique shop, VRBO, or a nice plantation era home for a big family. Has possible 6 bedrooms, possible 6 bedrooms and lots of original character and many renovations over the years. Electrical in good shape but home does need some extensive repairs and renovations.

23 Comments on Sparta, TN – $64,900

1. Laurie W. (1378 comments) - 09/09/2015 at 6:03 pm //

It’s an attractive house and in a beautiful location.

2. JimH JimH (3751 comments) - 09/09/2015 at 6:11 pm //

This one’s not as rural as it looks. It’s right outside a county seat with lots of services, restaurants etc. A bit shabby but pleasant enough, a couple of hours to Nashville or Chattanooga. The area’s becoming more popular for retirement because of the low cost of living.
    Some work to do here but if the price starts low(er) it could be a good project on a nice old place.

3. Markgraf (4 comments) - 11/10/2015 at 7:04 pm //

I restored this house when I owned it from 2002-2006. The house was built in 1847 (the c 1900 is because tax records don’t go back further)by the Jonathan Scott Family. They sold it to CSA Gen. George Gibbs Dibrell in near the end of the Civil War. He sold it to the Lee family who had the home from the late 1800’s to around 1994. The Kurt Young family had it after that followed by a lady who’s name eludes me now. We then bought it out of foreclosure and mostly restored it. It KILLS me to see the house is this shape. I am half tempted to buy it again just so it is saved.. There is too much history in that house. I still have 2 Minie’ Balls I dug out of the frame during the restoration. They were minor hits as a result of the Battle of Bear Cove, a small skirmish that took place just down the road a few hundred yards.

4. Markgraf (4 comments) - 11/10/2015 at 7:21 pm //

I have pics from earlier times if anyone would like to see them. Here is a youtube link to a video I shot in the middle of the restoration. This was about 2 years before we finished around christmas.. Excuse the crappy video and messy house. As I said we were still in the middle of projects then.. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR0ObPTIWuY

• Cheryl Del (1 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 9:21 am //

The home looks beautiful. Wonderful job. Its a shame what it looks like now. I hope its returned to it’s former glory. Wish I could afford to do it justice.

5. Leslie Boyd (2 comments) - 11/13/2015 at 6:56 pm //

Markgraf the house looks beautiful in the video! Have you been in the home recently? We just moved back to TN. What a shame it looks neglected now. I think I need to go see this!

• Markgraf (4 comments) - 11/13/2015 at 7:08 pm //

We sold it in 2006. The house was a blast. I have tons of history. It is a treasure trove. Many of the fixture are original Gasaleers that were converted to electric. Are you related to Sam Boyd by chance? Or any McMinnville Boyds.

6. Leslie Boyd (2 comments) - 11/13/2015 at 8:11 pm //

I noticed the fixtures in your video. It looks like you guys had put a ton of work in! I’m not sure about the Boyd’s, I am a Stutts originally. My father’s family is from Waynesville, Tn.

7. Stephswans (1 comments) - 10/04/2016 at 10:56 am //

Markgraf….. Just found this feed last night…. Watched your video and it’s apparent that you loved that house the way it should be loved. Took a look at it last night and it needs so much help….. Why did you leave that gorgeous house in the first place?

8. Nate (1 comments) - 10/11/2016 at 9:58 pm //

Markgraf, I just bought this house and would love to know more about the history and what you did to restore it.

9. Back on the market, $64,900.

Posted in 2015, sold since but now back on the market. I’ve kept the older comments above.

10. 2015 photos

11. EileenM (141 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 11:52 am //

It seems to me that if this house was restored in 2006, it must have taken some serious neglect/abuse to be in the condition it appears to be in now. Hopefully it will have a better future.

12. ttess (134 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 2:37 pm //

Homes are like children, ignored and neglected they can go bad quickly. Markgraf we feel your pain. Some that we rehabbed are still beautiful, some a mess and some torn down. It hurts your heart.

13. Tommy Q (408 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 6:49 pm //

I have my guitar work done at Custom Fretted Instruments in Sparta. Great folks, used to send guitars from Japan all the way there cause I trust them to do great work.

14. Richard Bailey (3 comments) - 09/14/2017 at 8:13 am //

I’d like to know more details on this house…. If it had been restored, it must not be far from liveable. What’s the roof like? Plumbing, etc… My wife and I are looking for a place preferably in Tennessee and near the mountains. This could be the one if it didn’t take too much fixin’….???

• You need to see the home in person. Kevin Cummins, First Realty Company // (931) 528-1573

• Richard Bailey (3 comments) - 09/14/2017 at 9:51 am //

I think you may be right…but don’t keep me in suspense! Tell me what you can. We are in west Atlanta, but are coming up that way fairly soon…. I am old fashioned, and don’t have a cell phone, but will call you after a consultation with my other half (at work). I was a house painter in another life, and painting doesn’t scare me…
        RB

• I don’t know anything about this home, I’m not the agent nor am I associated with the agency so am unable to tell you anything about it. This site just highlights old house real estate listings, showing readers what’s out there. For those interested they need to contact the agent or a local agent to arrange a viewing. Even if someone were to come along and give you the details you need, I’d still suggest seeing it in person as there’s no way to verify what that person said is true (not to call people liars but some can over or under exaggerate what a house needs.)

• mandofanatic (3 comments) - 09/15/2017 at 3:24 am //

Kelly,
            Sorry, I thought the agent had replied….I’m kinda new around here. You have a fantastic website, which I have just discovered. I will be calling the agent on this one, I think.

• B (1 comments) - 09/18/2017 at 4:20 pm //

I went and looked at the house it isn’t livable at all land it needs a lot of work and a lot of time and money

15. Searchingfordreams (2 comments) - 09/15/2017 at 8:04 pm //

This house needs A TON of work. Do not travel to visit this house thinking it looks similar to pictures. The WHOLE front of the house is rotten. The realtor has the lock box on the back door because its not even safe to enter through the front.
    So sad, if you have a whole lot of time and money to put into this house:) the lot is beautiful and the view is gorgeous!