Accomac, VA – $139,999

SOLD / Archived Post From 2015
Added to OHD on 9/24/15 - Last OHD Update: 3/4/16
23651 Front St, Accomac, VA 23301 Map: Street View
  • Set in the heart of this historical district area...go back in time with Magnolia trees gracing the front walk as you step into this grand Victorian. Relax and unwind and watch the world go by. Built in 1865 is a cabin to the side of the house...bring all of this back to life. Set up in the traditional style of this era includes a library and parlor plus back stairs. Wood stove and gas logs help during those cold evenings. Plenty of room to grow.

14 Comments on Accomac, VA – $139,999

1. Build date on record is 1897 but I was confused by the agents description, “Built in 1865 is a cabin to the side of the house…” Are they saying the house is 1865 or the cabin?

• Brookewy (15 comments) - 09/24/2015 at 7:45 pm //

Hi Kelly! Great find. The language is really confusing. I think they were referring to the cabin – It looks earlier than the house to me, hard to tell though.

• Sapphy (616 comments) - 09/26/2015 at 12:28 pm //

The cabin might have once been the main house on the property and therefore it was built before the larger home was.

2. evers310 evers310 (116 comments) - 09/24/2015 at 8:01 pm //

The house looks a bit earlier than 1897 to me, I’m thinking late 1870’s just based on the newel post. Most 1890’s Victorians had square newel posts. The floorboards( which look to be about 4″ wide) and front porch seem to fit the 1870’s/1880’s era also.

• I vote for much earlier – especially with that doorway. Bay is an obvious addition as were the other “Victorian” aspects. I’ve been through the area – did the drive up the peninsula via the bridge/tunnel from Norfolk. Don’t know how busy rt. 13 gets.

• Brosia (94 comments) - 09/25/2015 at 9:23 pm //

I was just saying the same thing, that many details looked older then 1865. The front makes me think late Federal/early Folk Victorian with some later add-ons but I’m not an expert by any means, just a fan. Perhaps those of you who know more can school me on this.

3. nikita (1 comments) - 09/25/2015 at 6:13 am //

Lots off potential here for a very livable house. I just noticed it’s by Chincoteague and Assateague islands. Did anyone else read those books about the wild ponies when you were a kid? 🙂

• KarenB (163 comments) - 09/25/2015 at 3:07 pm //

I lived on Chincoteague years ago and then moved to Nanticoke, MD also on the Delmarva Peninsula. I really miss the blue crabs. I could walk right out to the end of my pier and go crabbing! The ponies always seem to know when someone is about and go to the opposite end of the island.

• Nikita Eileen Krupoderov (9 comments) - 09/26/2015 at 9:32 am //

Love Chincoteague Island…went there every year with the kids and now…have not been for a few years…I have toyed with the idea many times of living there or near…wondering what the Island life is Really Like???

4. Laurie W. (1378 comments) - 09/25/2015 at 7:23 am //

It has obviously been added to. I wonder if the front section is earlier, based on the front door, which looks at least early Victorian, & the short stairway in the parlor, and other sections came later, when the newel might even have been “updated.” I like the porch railing a lot. It’s too bad the magnolias are quite so close to the house — I’d never want to ace lovely big old trees like that, but they’re problematic where they are; unfortunately they do not move happily. Nice house in a mixed residential/business neighborhood.

5. BrendaE (76 comments) - 09/25/2015 at 7:27 am //

Misty of Chincoteague!
    What a wonderful home. I want it.

6. ladylynne (1 comments) - 09/25/2015 at 4:44 pm //

Such beautiful stately homes! These homes are just unbelievable! I sit and wonder how many families have lived in it and what lives each of them lived. Wonder if any of them have “spirits” or ghosts that roam around. My sister lived in an old farmhouse that had one – friendly, though. Can’t help but wonder. Talk about architecture! Blows Frank Lloyd Wright right out of the water!

• Brosia (94 comments) - 09/26/2015 at 4:07 pm //

I do the same thing; these old homes capture the imagination, for sure. Having grown up in a 1920s 2-story shotgun that had its spirits, I always wonder what may have stayed with these homes through the years and what the histories are. One thing’s for certain: that old-time craftsmanship is truly something special. They just don’t make ’em like they used to!

• jane stevens (10 comments) - 09/27/2015 at 8:14 pm //

FWIW, in the 80s I lived in the second floor of the Zee Tai Company in Port Townsend, Washington. We took six truckloads of trash out of there. Must have been Zee Tai’s cane I picked up; I turned toward the corner of the living room, “You are welcome to stay here if you behave. if not you have to leave.” Never had another problem with the old man.