Specially selected historic real estate for old house enthusiasts.

1901 Queen Anne in Moline, IL

Sold / Archive From 2021

Added to OHD on 1/31/21   -   Last OHD Update: 7/25/22

1235 11th Ave, Moline, IL 61265

Maps: Street | Aerial

• 5 Bed
  • 3 Bath
  • 4390 Sq Ft
Here is your opportunity to be the 4th owner, in 120 yrs of Quad City history, to this magnificent mansion. This mansion is one of the original John Deere family homes on 11th avenue, once known as "Millionaire's row". Built by his nephew, William Tyler Ball (who was his personal secretary, and accountant) Being ahead of his time, the builder put closets on every floor, which is unusual for an old house. The original butler's pantry offers plenty of storage. Enter through the front vestibule adorned with beautiful leaded glass doors and original wallpaper. Charm and character abounds as you walk through the 16 rooms, each boasting with gorgeous original woodwork, a beautiful staircase that boasts 9 newel posts, stained glass windows and FOUR sets of original working pocket doors. 365 day view of the city from the second level terrace.This home has retained all the character and charm of an early 20th century victorian while adding 21st century updates.
Listed With

Jeremy Albrecht, Realty One Group Opening Doors :: (563) 424-3499

Additional Links
This is an archived listing.
State: | Region: | Associated Styles or Type: | Period & Associated Styles: , | Features: , | Misc: |
Notify of
14 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
JDmiddleson
2 years ago

The pictures they do show only make me want to see more! I love the look of what they show, especially the porch, tower and all the built-in cabinets. I love the stain glass on the stair landing!

The only thing I would want to address, if it was mine, would be the kitchen. I like all the original cabinets but it looks as if half the kitchen is in the butlers pantry and the main kitchen is small and awkward, especially for a house this size!

MJG
Reply to  JDmiddleson | 5202 comments
2 years ago

The first thing I would do is paint over all that white trim outside. Greens, golds, browns, reds, etc look much better with this color brick and are historically a better choice.

Glo
2 years ago

The woodwork, the cabinets, the picture rail and floors complete this lovely home! The yard is a bit wild, but what fun it would be to put some sweat equity into it and make the yard a place of solace. This is a really special home.

MJG
Reply to  Glo | 82 comments
2 years ago

I’m always stunned when the picture rail hasn’t been pulled out. I don’t know why this fell out of favor. So much easier to hang picture from wires and less damaging to your walls when you want to move stuff around. I read some accounts where thin copper wire was recommended because it would be less visible against the wall, but others still loved to use chord.

Lynnie
Supporter
2 years ago

The possibilities for that yard are spinning around in my head…💗

Scottj
2 years ago

The view of the house in the last photo looking up the hill makes the house look very mysterious, rather overgrown and reclusive. I love the garage, sweet doors!

hillhouse
Supporter
2 years ago

Handsome, dignified, well-maintained! I always pine for a third-floor tower picture–they should be required! What is that THING next door? Some metastasized multifamily blob engulfing a house? Appears to be another handsome Italianate further on.

Chris
Reply to  hillhouse | 159 comments
2 years ago

Yes, that thing next door is actually a very poor renovation of what was once a beautiful mansion. The Italianate beyond is actually John Deere’s own home that’s been in the process of restoration for nearly 35 years. A previous owner had chopped that gorgeous house up into 9 apartments when my dad was a kid, as happened to many, many of the old mansions in the area. Looks like they’ve made a lot of headway. It was really rough. Check out the street view map. I’ve always wondered about the history of this house. This house use to have bushes around it making it difficult to see. The last pic shows what it was like all around the house. This is the clearest view I’ve ever had of the front of the house.

Gail M.
2 years ago

I like the garage the best.

Doreen
2 years ago

Okay, what’s with that small door in the kitchen (pic 15)?

And whenever I show photos of brick houses to my friends in California (with TURRETS, even!), they are completely blown away. Never forget the first one I saw in Marietta, OH about 15 years ago–completely gobsmacked me!

DianeEG
Supporter
2 years ago

A beautiful, historic, well maintained home. Looks well loved and family friendly. The price reflects the edgy neighborhood. Not run-down but near industry and many homes are rentals and seriously neutered. Like other gardeners, the yard leaves me dreaming of how to make it a beautiful compliment to the home. (I realize the pictures were taken as the summer growing season winds down and weeds take over, so it may look better other times of the year.) Wonder if any of the furnishings are original to the Deere/Ball family.

John Shiflet
Supporter
2 years ago

One can only imagine what this neighborhood looked like when this mansion grade home was newly built. The Quad cities were at the peak of their prosperity at the turn of the last century. Today, vestiges of that immense wealth remain but it is challenging to visualize just how grand things were in those days. Because of the regional decline (which extends south to places like Quincy, IL, and Keokuk, Iowa) old house prices tend to be relatively affordable so that even mansions, like this example, are on the market at much lower price points than they might be in other places. I agree with others that enhanced landscaping could greatly improve the curb appeal of this home. I can only hope its next owner will respect and appreciate the history of the place.

ctmedd
2 years ago

What a beautiful home! My favorite part is that amazing butler’s pantry! Those front doors with the amazing leaded glass are stunning, as is the stained glass in the stairwell.

Karenfryxell
2 years ago

I grew up in Moline, only a few blocks from this home (on 12th Avenue and 10th Street). The farm crisis hit Moline and the other Quad Cities hard as much of the industry was farm related – not only Deere and Company but also Case, and International Harvester. Diane is right that a lot of houses have been turned into rentals. However, the area still has many fine homes at affordable prices. It’s also a beautiful area. If you visit, be sure to check out the Deere family plot in Riverside Cemetery.

Comments are reader and auto-moderated. If you feel a comment is inappropriate, click the red flag at the top right of the offending comment.
No politics.

Commenting means you've read and will abide by the comment rules. Click here to read the comment rules, updated 4/20/22.

OHD does not represent this home. You must independently verify listing details.