Specially selected historic real estate for old house enthusiasts.

1896 Queen Anne in Saint Johnsbury, VT

Sold / Archive From 2020

Added to OHD on 3/4/20   -   Last OHD Update: 6/14/22

1596 Main St, Saint Johnsbury, VT 05819

Maps: Street | Aerial

• 5 Bed
  • 3 Bath
  • 4446 Sq Ft
  • 0.42 Ac.
National Register Property
This spectacular home is located in one of the most desirable areas of St. Johnsbury. Situated on Main Street overlooking the fountain of Arnold Park, you will enjoy views of Railroad Street and the valley below. This property is just blocks from the Atheneum, Planetarium, Post office, Natural History Museum, and so much more. The current owner has painstakingly restored much of this property to its original splendor going so far as to have new knives made to match the original woodwork in the home and making templates of the original stenciling found beneath layers of wallpaper. This home is a true gem that must be seen to be appreciated. Operated as a bed and breakfast for many years, this home is perfect for a vacation home, air b and b, a large family, or a combination of residential living and main floor offices.
Listed With

Mathew Ghafoori, William Raveis Real Estate :: 802.745.7320

Additional Links
This is an archived listing.
State: Region: | Associated Styles or Type:
Period & Associated Styles: ,
Features: , ,
Misc: ,
Notify of
9 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
JimH
Moderator
2 years ago

The house was built for merchant Warren Estabrooks (1827-1906). I can’t confirm it but it looks very much like a Barber design.

EarthlyAmy
Reply to  JimH | 7629 comments
7 months ago

This house was designed for the Estabrooks family (if I’m not mistaken) by Lambert Packard, an only-famous-in-Vermont architect who also designed the Fairbanks Museum and the Fairbanks’ residence, unfortunately no longer extant.In our town of Barton, he’s known for designing the Pierce Block.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambert_Packard

Anne M.
Supporter
2 years ago

What a great house! I have never seen a sink in a dining room before, kind of like it!

JDmiddleson
2 years ago

I love the look of the house. Great color scheme and nice curb appeal. The park across the street, although small is a nice touch!

John Shiflet
Supporter
2 years ago

Lovely textbook example of a turreted late Queen Anne style home. I vaguely recall it was photographed in black and white and was featured in the 1973 Dover book: Victorian Houses: A Treasury of Lesser Known Examples. Here’s a copy on Thrift Books for less than $5: https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/victorian-houses-a-treasury-of-lesser-known-examples-dover-books-on-architecture_clay-lancaster_edmund-v-gillon-jr/1085475/item/5629208/?mkwid=%7cdc&pcrid=395931190724&pkw=&pmt=&slid=&plc=&pgrid=83211845752&ptaid=pla-838337053911&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyKm46P6D6AIVkvhkCh3jZQQcEAQYASABEgIVX_D_BwE#isbn=0486229661&idiq=5629208 All photos in the book are B & W. I agree that this house has a Barber design flavor and the 1896 date would be a time when Barber’s firm was very active.

| <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">114 comments</span>
| 114 comments
2 years ago

I don’t need this house and I don’t need you! All I need is a swan, one hanging pan from the kitchen, and this ashtray. And one stained glass window. And the picture of the flowers above the mantle. I don’t need any of it except a red and white striped thermos!

JDmiddleson
Reply to  | 114 comments
2 years ago

Your comment made me laugh! It was a nice way to start the day! Thanks!

Prince_Harming
Reply to  | 114 comments
2 years ago

Ha ha! Fantastic movie reference.. I laughed out loud!

Christopher
2 years ago

Another beautiful Vermont Home. St. Johnsbury is filled with these beautiful old Victorians. This, I believe, is (or was…?) the Estabrook Bed & Breakfast.

Another house, though torn down in the late 1930s, Underclyffe – home to Franklin Fairbanks – was a real stunner. I’d recommend a quick Google search. “Underclyffe” is the pinnacle of home names, in my opinion.

Finally, the Fairbanks Museum. Another stunning piece of architecture. It’s extremely gothic. One of my favorite museums as a child!

Comments are reader and auto-moderated. If you feel a comment is inappropriate, click the red flag at the top right of the offending comment.
No politics.

Commenting means you've read and will abide by the comment rules. Click here to read the comment rules, updated 4/20/22.

OHD does not represent this home. You must independently verify listing details.
Send this to a friend