c. 1900 Queen Anne – Wapello, IA – $74,000

Added to OHD on 8/10/17 - Last OHD Update: 8/10/17
303 S 2nd St, Wapello, IA 52653 Map: Street View
  • Marvelous woodwork and hardwood flooring! Stained glass window, solid oak dining room cabinet, beautiful attached antique mirror in living room. So many details! Looking for a home that will shine when completed with your updates? This is the one! Shaded yard, corner lot, two car garage. Let's take a tour.

9 Comments on c. 1900 Queen Anne – Wapello, IA – $74,000

1. Thanks Eric Unhinged for sharing!

2. Ross Ross (2526 comments) - 08/10/2017 at 9:11 pm //

The house appears to have had a lot of money poured into in the 1950s. The garage, kitchen, and the fireplace. Bathrooms, as well?

Kinda cool. I would retain these elements.

I like the rest of the house, too!

3. LoriS (34 comments) - 08/10/2017 at 10:25 pm //

Pretty house in my home state of Iowa!

4. hearsetrax (33 comments) - 08/11/2017 at 5:30 am //

charming widdle place,but the garage needs a few things b4 it’d be a purr-fect place to live

will have to show to a friend of mine

5. Tommy Q (408 comments) - 08/11/2017 at 12:54 pm //

Wow! At that price you could put $100K in it and it would still be cheap. Plus it’s near rivers. Probably real cold in the winter — I’d have to stock up on flannel jammies I guess…

6. Lottie Lottie (409 comments) - 08/12/2017 at 3:59 am //

Lovely house! The 6th picture down of the curved railing on the stairs sold me.

7. Mike Mike (100 comments) - 08/12/2017 at 11:46 am //

A nice house, at a good price. I like the mix of 1890s and 1960s; with some polish, this house would be a great forever home. I like the mint green siding, we are planning to go with mint green on our Victorian this fall, but I would lose the dark red gables, too much red for me. The neighborhood looks nice, many comparable homes in good condition. The inside appears to only need paint/paper for me, but what concerns me is the HVAC. The realtor’s listing states that there is no AC, and from all of the interior pictures, I can’t see any registers or radiators…hopefully the wood-stove in the parlor and the fireplace in the kitchen are not the only things keeping this house warm in winter…

• DianeEG (377 comments) - 08/12/2017 at 5:33 pm //

In the picture of the stove, it shows a grate in the floor of that room and another in the entry room. Not sure what floor furnace means but it “appears” to have had some kind of gravity or forced air heat at one time. If all it has now is the stove and an electric log in the newer fireplace surround, then yes – you would be cold. I’m guessing this home needs several updates.

• Eric Unplugged Eric Unhinged (165 comments) - 08/12/2017 at 11:07 pm //

I have heated exclusively with wood (an antique 18″ Florence Hot Blast) for the past 8 years and I’d be willing to bet that I am much warmer in the winter than most who use a conventional furnace. And I have no monthly heating bill! One decent antique wood-burning stove (not some cheap new thing or that contraption shown in the 11th photo) will easily heat this house. Why pay more for a house with HVAC when you can not only be warmer but save money, too?

I lived in a house with a floor furnace once for four years and hated it. The heat provided was very unevenly distributed and the perimeter of the house was always freezing in the winter. If you have a good (antique) wood-burning stove, you don’t need a floor furnace.