c. 1860 – Washington, PA – $79,900

Off Market / Archived Post From 2017
Posted in 2017. Sold status unknown.
Added to OHD on 7/7/17 - Last OHD Update: 9/19/17
512 Lone Pine Rd, Washington, PA 15301 Map: Street View
  • house is in poor condition and is being sold "as is". house is a handyman's special. basic structure is present with good bones but needs all the mechanicals which have been stripped from inside. please understand there is no electricty or plumbing currently in the house. oil and gas right are not being sold with property.

12 Comments on c. 1860 – Washington, PA – $79,900

1. Thanks CocoaG for sharing this one.

I guess the style is a cross between Italianate and Greek Revival…maybe? lol

• Hoyt Clagwell (90 comments) - 07/08/2017 at 3:36 am //

Yeah, I’d call it transitional.

• CharlestonJohn CharlestonJohn (604 comments) - 07/08/2017 at 10:47 am //

You see a fair number of Italianate/ Greek Revival hybrids. Both styles were very popular in the mid 19th century, so it makes sense people would mix elements. I see more Italianate here, especially when you consider the front porch has likely been replaced at least once, as they seldom last more than half a century or so. Shame the photographer cut off the bottom of the newel post.

2. Bethany (1770 comments) - 07/07/2017 at 9:55 pm //

Poor old lady. I’m game, but it’s not my part of the country, too bad!

3. Karen Z (537 comments) - 07/08/2017 at 5:53 am //

This is not too far out of Pittsburgh, an easy commute to the city. I’m about an hour away. I think that the price is set a bit high (even with the 3 acres) with all of the mechanicals that need to be done. I hope that someone can takes this back to what it once was!

4. jenny (87 comments) - 07/08/2017 at 8:23 am //

To make a decision on this property, a potential buyer should be sure exactly what is meant when the mineral rights don’t convey in the state of Pa.

• Marc (125 comments) - 07/08/2017 at 11:10 am //

Probably means the rights have been sold to fracking companies. This is right in the middle of the Marcellus Shale. Investigate water supply carefully.

5. Andy Weaks (4 comments) - 07/08/2017 at 8:42 am //

I’m working on a 1790’s log cabin about 3 miles from this. I’ll check it out this afternoon. Seems pricey for the area. There was a similar but smaller house in Tenmile, a few miles south, that was around $50,000, and it was livable.

6. JimH JimH (3751 comments) - 07/09/2017 at 2:10 pm //

After his Civil War service as a teenager, James A. Moninger (1848-1930) bought this home and its 90 acre farm at Lone Pine. He bred a fine herd of Merino sheep, their bloodlines noted in period journals. He and wives Rachel Horn and Ellen Yorty raised 8 children here, where later Moninger died and his funeral was held. Son Charles remained in the home, while his other children had moved on to Chicago and Hollywood.

April 8, 1930, The Daily Notes, Canonsburg, PA – Page 6
    JAMES A. MONINGER DIES AT LONE PINE
    Descendant of Prominent Pioneer Family

• Lois (2 comments) - 07/11/2017 at 4:15 pm //

I thought this home at one time belonged to one of the families that I have researched in my family tree! Most of my people came from Washington County PA, and I have researched them back to 1600s. The Moningers et al, are part of my people (distantly related to me). I just wish I had the money to bring this house back up to it’s former beauty!

7. Mark (278 comments) - 07/11/2017 at 9:49 pm //

This style is fairly common for the suburban/rural Pittsburgh area for this time period . I’ve always considered them more of a watered down version of the Federal style. You will find these built in the 1880’s and even newer in the PGH area. I can’t see close enough, but I’m wondering if the window pediments on the front are a more recent add-on. It has a great tree in the front yard.

8. Lissie (300 comments) - 07/12/2017 at 4:03 pm //

This house needs love and attention. I hope someone will buy it and renovate.