Specially selected historic real estate for old house enthusiasts.

January 11, 2016: Link exchange

Added to OHD on 1/11/16 - Last OHD Update: 4/20/22 - 311 Comments
Click here to jump to comment box.
Happy Friday! The link exchange is where you share your old house finds, articles, and general chit-chat.

Sharing Guidelines…
1) If these are not shown in your share link, please include: city & state, build date, price, what you are sharing.
2) No tiny URL's. Link to the agent's site or a listing site (Redfin, Realtor, Zillow, etc.) No sites that you have to sign in to view the listing.
3) Paste the link in the comment box below, no HTML knowledge needed.
4) Up to ten links per comment to keep comment subscriptions from spam folders.

Not all shares will make it as a post. Feel free to discuss anything you want, NO politics.

311 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Amy Sue
Amy Sue | 20 comments
7 years ago

Oh goodness Kelly! I will be praying for your full and complete recovery! We don’t just miss your postings, we miss YOU! Your postings and comments are such a bright spot in our day! Please get lots of rest and know there are many of us thinking and praying for you. Wish we were there to give you “Get Better” hugs! Please take care sweet girl!

Re Re | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">12 comments</span>
Re Re | 12 comments

What Amy Sue said and more:)

67drake
Supporter
7 years ago

Ugh,Don’t worry about the houses or site for a while-GET BETTER KELLY!

Bob
Bob Dyer | 10 comments
7 years ago

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Annabelle | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">80 comments</span>
Annabelle | 80 comments
7 years ago

My gosh, I hope you get to feeling better really soon. Take your time and make a full recovery. We will wait!

Bella
Supporter
7 years ago

Oh Kelly I’m so sorry! I too will be praying for a full recovery for you and as soon as possible. I couldn’t have said anything better than Amy Sue just posted. Here’s a big get well hug. OOOOOOO

Byrd
| 8 comments
7 years ago

Kelly, as the Benedictines say, “You are tucked into my sleeve”. Praying for you and a quick recovery.

RobB | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">3 comments</span>
RobB | 3 comments
7 years ago

Speedy Recovery for you !
I’ve been thinking of you often since your previous post.
Take all the time you need.

Anne M.
Supporter
7 years ago

Please don’t worry about us! Take care of yourself & know that we are all wishing you a speedy recovery.

MW
MW | 998 comments
7 years ago

Yes, agree. Kelly, please don’t worry about us or the site. It and us will still be here when you can get back to it.

I’m very sorry to hear you are in the hospital! But glad to hear you are in good hands and hopefully will be bouncing back soon. My thoughts are with you!!

Will | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">58 comments</span>
Will | 58 comments
7 years ago

I don’t know about anybody else but I’ve pretty much had it. I pay embership dues and I expect action!!

Kidding. I had blood clots myself a number of years ago. Nearly died. You will be fine. Once they get your blood under control (and they will), you’ll be on blood thinners to keep tings in check. As for the site, all things in their own time.

Dave | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">53 comments</span>
Dave | 53 comments
7 years ago

We are all here for the duration and understand your situation. You ARE Old House Dreams and I could sense a disturbance in the force. You concentrate on getting better first and the website second. If you allow links to be posted, I’ll enjoy them too. This website is usually the first one I visit everyday to start the day out on a positive note before I’m deluged with the world’s negativity. It’s like an oasis! I love old houses (especially the Buckfield, Maine Georgian) and wish I could own everyone of them here. But in the mean time, your site feeds my desires. Get well soon!

Cjsantacruz
C. Hutchinson | 21 comments
7 years ago

I so agree with AmySue,Lynn and the Benedictines. We miss you and are here to support and pray. Rest, Gal.

| <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">91 comments</span>
7 years ago

Wishing you a quick recovery. We will all be thinking about you!!

Julles
Reply to  Anne M. | 1394 comments

Spectacular!

Sunny
Reply to  Anne M. | 1394 comments

what a beautiful home …

ShellyP | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">37 comments</span>
ShellyP | 37 comments
Reply to  Anne M. | 1394 comments
7 years ago

Magnificent! I think Kelly would be proud of this selection!! Hope you win at least enough to buy it!!! πŸ™‚

FloridaOHDjunkie | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">28 comments</span>
FloridaOHDjunkie | 28 comments
7 years ago

For everyone missing Kelly’s posts, here are two historic houses now on the market in Rockledge Florida. Both are contributing structures in the Rockledge Drive National Register District. Prices reflect location on Florida Intra-Coastal waterway.

Address in 709 Rockledge Dr, Rockledge -boathouse is listed structure, statue in front yard is J.W. Fiske, bent tree over river is certified Indian Trail tree. changes are siding and enclosed front porch, some windows have hurricane shutters up however originals are still intact.

Both houses in excellent shape. Two other contiguous historic districts Barton Ave and Valencia Ave, Dreamers would like this area of Florida, hot summers but prevailing SE winds off river. 9 miles to ocean (Cocoa Beach)

Ken Ball | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">9 comments</span>
Ken Ball | 9 comments

Wonderful properties! Thanks for sharing

Rosewater

Man – that craftsman is REALLY beautiful. Nice..

| <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">1 comments</span>
| 1 comments

Good eye spotting the J.W.Fiske statue in front of 709 Rockledge Dr. The bent tree is likely the most photographed tree in Rockledge. You are correct the home is an excellent shape. Summer’s here can be warm but these homes are typically built to take advantage of those gentle breezes coming off the river. But, the winters here, as Henry Flager boasted when building the rail road “Every day a June day full of sunshine where Winter’s exist in memory only”. Sounds like your a “local”

Jennifer HT
Jennifer HT | 725 comments
7 years ago

Oh no I hope you feel better!

I’ll share some links from my city πŸ™‚ but they won’t be as awesome as the links on this site!

Rosewater

Redlands is a really great town, with many very fine antique and vintage houses. You’re lucky to live there! This one is my fave – still on the market after years. Unfortunately the current listing does not show the SPECTACULAR guest house, carriage barn, or vast orange grove, (one of very few left). It’s a rad property; http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/301-W-Palm-Ave_Redlands_CA_92373_M23585-49842

BrendaInWi
BrendaE | 83 comments
Reply to  Rosewater | 8499 comments
7 years ago

Oh my gosh. That kitchen, heck! The whole house! I want it!

Rosewater

I know – it,s SO very “Ruth Fisher”. Heh heh heh..

Jennifer HT
Jennifer HT | 725 comments
Reply to  Rosewater | 8499 comments
7 years ago

Redlands is great and has amazing history for the west coast, but it isn’t the city it was when we moved here. I know that is true of many, many places these days, but I would LOVE to flee CA to many of the amazing properties on this site. πŸ˜€

Sascha | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">40 comments</span>
Sascha | 40 comments

Try as I might, I couldn’t sell my husband in Redlands. I stood on the porch of this beauty when it was listed in 2011; we couldn’t reach the realtor to view the inside and that was my one and only shot at convincing my husband otherwise.
Sigh.

The Palm Avenue house has been on my wish list for at least as long as it has been listed for sale, about 6 years! If they were willing to let it go under $800 to a nice family wish aspirations to farm oranges….

Kathy | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">1 comments</span>
Kathy | 1 comments
7 years ago

As a lurker of this site (a non-commenter!), I absolutely love the old homes and the comments and wealth of information from all the posts. Makes me dream…. Thank you Kelly!
Sending good thoughts and prayers to you. Feel better!

Melissa
Melissa | 242 comments
7 years ago

You poor sweet thing! I didn’t realize you were that badly off!
If only we were real neighbors, I would make you soup and do your laundry!
Hugs

Mary Beth | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">37 comments</span>
Mary Beth | 37 comments
7 years ago

Wishing you a rapid and full recovery!

Mona | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">19 comments</span>
Mona | 19 comments
7 years ago

Hoping you are soon feeling 100%!! In the meantime, here is a more “light-hearted” link. It is an old historical property with LOTS of history behind it. It is one with a fair chunk of property too, (several acres) so for those of you looking to spend big bucks on a turn key property, here is your chance. Maybe after I win the Power Ball! πŸ˜‰ http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-famous-texas-waggoner-ranch-for-sale/

Reply to  Mona | 19 comments | 19 comments

fascinating / freaky πŸ˜‰

BrendaInWi
BrendaE | 83 comments
Reply to  Mona | 19 comments | 19 comments
7 years ago

Wow! What a great story! Thanks for sharing!

Laurie W.
Laurie W. | 1812 comments
Reply to  Mona | 19 comments | 19 comments
7 years ago

What an amazing bunch of people! Including the realtor. Cool place & history. Very Texas.

KimT
KimT | 79 comments
7 years ago

Found this Federal trying to find an ancestor’s house in the neighborhood:

Check it quick as it has a pending offer so pics may evaporate soon as apparently my ancestor’s house did. Beautiful entrance hall.

Get well soon, Kelly! Scary times.

Anne M.
Reply to  KimT | 79 comments | 79 comments
7 years ago

that is a wonderful house/store! I hope whoever buys it keeps the store intact.

Julles
Reply to  KimT | 79 comments | 79 comments
7 years ago

All of that for $174,900!? What is wrong that it is so inexpensive? In Atlanta, that would be a minimum of 2 million within the city limits.

KimT
KimT | 79 comments
Reply to  Julles | 676 comments
7 years ago

Maybe because it’s right on Rt 30? That would be good if one wanted to actually open a shop there though. Apparently Schellsburg has had a lot of antique shops at some stage. Am not sure whether it still does:

| <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">346 comments</span>
| 346 comments
Reply to  Julles | 676 comments
7 years ago

Terrific property –and especially for its mixed use history– but fairly remote, a good couple hours or more from anywhere. That may be a plus for some, but not for property values (low in Central and Western PA.)

Reply to  KimT | 79 comments | 79 comments
7 years ago

Glad you’re keeping us posted on continuing recovery Kelly. πŸ™‚

That’s a really special property KimT. It’s been on the market for a couple of years; and I clipped it for my collection back in 14. Glad to see it’s pending, and hope someone will treat it right!

Speaking of really great live work properties, check this out! Oldest part built by the Harrison family IN 1810; and later added on to create a pretty rad bank in 1857. Several original safes in situ, (which were robbed by Jesse James!). If ever there were a destination B&B, THIS IS IT! The details in this house/bank are just b e y o n d…

ShellyP | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">37 comments</span>
ShellyP | 37 comments
Reply to  Rosewater | 8499 comments
7 years ago

Love, love, love this house with so many original architectural details – perfect in every way! Thanks so much for sharing!

Rosewater

My pleasure Shelly. I’m kinda in love with this place too. Those moldings are just simply EPIC! They were most likely originally painted too btw.. I find their light airy look exceedingly attractive. While they are beyond substantial, the look is not overplayed; as they would surely appear tremendously overbearing in any treatment past the lightest shading. The kitchen is beyond perfect. It’s perfectly adequately spacious, functional, attractive to contemporary standards; while existing within the antique space as a sort of island unto itself, making a strong yet restrained statement while not overpowering or even seeming to have changed the room. From the looks of the fireplace, this must be the oldest part of the house. While I don’t normally care for bare brick, I do find it acceptable in a service areas, and feel that it is VERY attractive and even helpful in telling the story of the room, (in this instance).

The proportions of the rooms are architecturally VERY pleasing: the doors and the VAST windows as well. The side entrance as seen from the street is perfect and exquisite in it’s composition. There are Masonic principles at play in the design of this building, and the result is a splendid, remarkable structure. Yeah – I’m in love. πŸ˜‰

Just as clarification, hardly ever would I suggest someone undertake a property as a B&B as their prospects are generally quite dim. In this instance I do feel otherwise, (even despite it’s remote location), due to the direct James Gang connection. People eat that stuff up, and there is a large segment of the population who go out of their way to visit James gang locations. Considering the very important history of this building as regards, among many other factors of the building itself; (well advertised), someone could probably make this place a successful concern as such. If (you) do, and see this, please LMK because I’d love to come down and stay a couple of nights! [Not that I personally care less about outlaws]. πŸ™‚

Linda M | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">19 comments</span>
Linda M | 19 comments
Reply to  Rosewater | 8499 comments
7 years ago

Wow, I love this one! Thanks for finding it.

KimT
KimT | 79 comments
Reply to  Rosewater | 8499 comments
7 years ago

That’s quite a place, thanks. Do you know what makes some of the flooring look like dotted lines?

Reply to  KimT | 79 comments | 79 comments
7 years ago

Except the kitchen; it’s all GORGEOUS original heart pine flooring. πŸ™‚

Laurie W.
Laurie W. | 1812 comments
Reply to  KimT | 79 comments | 79 comments
7 years ago

Kim, that house is so beautiful! The entry hall & stairway make me want to cry, they’re so gorgeous. The store part oozes history too. I hope whoever is buying it (finally) takes good care of it and leaves its wonders intact.

And the one you followed with, Jeff, is just stunning! If I lived there, I’d walk around staring at that incredible woodwork, looking like I was stoned outta my gourd. It’s almost OTT, as you say, but avoids it. I could even live with most of the colors & I like most of the wallpapers, which fit the period & size of the rooms very well. The huge gracious rooms and the very tall ceilings give such a feeling of space & welcome & airiness. I’m in love too! Somebody buy it & invite me, please!

Mary Beth | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">37 comments</span>
Mary Beth | 37 comments
7 years ago

Now if I hit the PowerBall lottery, I should be able to go home to Bardstown and completely restore Edgewood! http://www.joehaydenrealtor.com/louisville-mls/310-s-fifth-st-bardstown-ky-40004/10475755_spid/?src=2

Rosewater

Ooooh, yeah, that is nice Mary Beth: quintessential, top-shelf, pre-war, Kentucky at it’s very best. The side elevation is remarkable; and those stair halls are beyond spectacular. With your winnings you can employ a good designer to gut it out and bring the dΓ©cor into line with the brilliant antique quality of the house. Good eye πŸ™‚

Laurie W.
Laurie W. | 1812 comments

Everything’s there for it to become a spectacular renovation. The gracious old South could live again here. Next Powerball, I guess, huh, Mary Beth? This place makes me wish for a trust fund!

Mary Beth | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">37 comments</span>
Mary Beth | 37 comments
7 years ago

Back in the 1960’s this property and far more acreage what my grandfather’s dairy farm. I’d give my “eyeteeth” to buy it back but I’m not the sort of gal who has a spare half million laying about to play with. Pity! http://www.joehaydenrealtor.com/louisville-mls/10175-louisville-rd-coxs-creek-ky-40013/10615440_spid/?src=2

HeatherM | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">19 comments</span>
HeatherM | 19 comments

Is your grandfather Lee Shipman? I recognize this property as his old training barn I believe. Know the current owners as acquaintances but had never seen their place before. Beautiful!

Gemma
Gemma | 183 comments

Lee Shipman was in the 1970s. His first barn burned, and a teary meltdown of a classmate was forced to come to school. She had lost her horse in the fire the night before. His second barn burned, too.

Heather and Mary Beth — where did you live? I grew up at Fourth and Beall.

And Kelly — take care. Agree with the Benedictines.

Mary Beth | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">37 comments</span>
Mary Beth | 37 comments

My grandparents left this farm on 31N and moved to South First in Bardstown. I grew up in Louisville and J’town.

Mary Beth | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">37 comments</span>
Mary Beth | 37 comments

Mr. Shipman was not my grandfather. My Grandfather has was James Earl Evans who was known to his grandchildren as Poppa Jimmy.

Arkham | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">68 comments</span>
Arkham | 68 comments
7 years ago

Heal swiftly and be well Kelly!

How about a lovely place up the CA coast:

Or an entire hotel in the same town…

And aside from the usual cringe about painted woodwork, this place in Sac is gorgeous:

Rosewater

Holy Schmidt! That Sacramento house is SUPER FAB! Never have I seen a house more deserving of steamers and strippers to rid it of all that ghastly paint. I’m a keep or strip kinda guy; and this house needs to be STRIPPED; (especially because it’s probably all rich honey fabulous golden oak underneath! Beautiful – and so creative and unique in it’s design. Nice!

JDmiddleson
Michael Mackin | 5050 comments
Reply to  Rosewater | 8499 comments
7 years ago

I’d have to agree with you about that house. All that white paint!….What treasure is hiding underneath the paint!

Deborah Morton | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">3 comments</span>
Deborah Morton | 3 comments

I’ve stayed at the Eagle House in Eureka several times. It is a great building. The owners have kept it up and done much work on it. Would love to buy it. Nice pub downstairs too. Great views of bay.

Laurie W.
Laurie W. | 1812 comments
7 years ago

Gosh, Kelly! Thinking of you a LOT! Get well, don’t think about us — we’ll be here waiting when you’re better. Poor baby, wish I could give you a blanket & a hot toddy & tuck you in. I’ll do it mentally. Hoping you’re back better than ever very quickly!

Stephanie | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">2 comments</span>
Stephanie | 2 comments
7 years ago

Kelly, praying for a full and speedy recovery for you! Just worry about getting better.: )
Here’s a link to a 1901 house for sale near me.

Disco
Kevin O'Neill | 183 comments
7 years ago

This was on the site a few years ago. It looks like its back as an auction. If my memory is correct I thought it sold or was for sale for around 50k.

It deserves to be saved.

BrendaInWi
BrendaE | 83 comments

The last picture got me all excited!!

FSC | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">1 comments</span>
FSC | 1 comments
7 years ago

Kelly, i have never met you, but this site has been a much-needed getaway for myself in recent months, dealing with more mortality than i would like to be in my life. The hours browsing on here, for myself, and showing friends, and family all these wonderful pieces of art have been nothing but nurturing and calming in these chaotic times. It is with all of my heart that i wish that you do recover and continue to spread your love and admiration of these homes here on your wonderful site.

With much hope,

Fletcher S Conway

Johnboy | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">8 comments</span>
Johnboy | 8 comments
7 years ago

We miss you!! Wishing you a very very speedy recovery!!

Crazy Dog Lady | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">60 comments</span>
Crazy Dog Lady | 60 comments
7 years ago

I’ve just recently discovered your page and thought I’d stop back to see what great, old home you’d found recently and saw that you’re very under the weather. Wishing you a speedy recovery and good health in the new year!
I love seeing your old fixer uppers, in particular and would love to share this historic gem from the Philadelphia area! http://www.weichert.com/m/propertydetails.aspx?p=59561797

Den
Den | 143 comments

Sadly, this one was just destroyed in a fire this week. πŸ™

John | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">70 comments</span>
John | 70 comments
7 years ago

I wish you a quick return to health Kelly. I have enjoyed your great site for quite a while, have gone through just about every archived post, and truly appreciate the wealth of detail, information, and effort you provide. Your readers comments are as much a part of what makes my day as well, and I thank you for giving them a forum to discuss the history and style of our architectural heritage. You are so valued and appreciated by us old house nuts! Please get well soon– as others have said–don’t worry about the site–take care of yourself!! We’ll be here when you’re well.

Betsy
Betsy | 162 comments
7 years ago

Prayers for a quick and thorough recovery !!

Oldnslow
7 years ago

Please just take care of yourself and don’t worry about us or the website. If it was up to me to make a choice between your health and house postings, the houses would come in a very poor second. You mean a lot to us who have been affected by these old termite traps and I wish you the very best and a speedy recovery. Is there anything you need? I’m come clean your house for you but living in California kind of makes that impractical πŸ˜‰

Kelly, OHD
Reply to  Oldnslow | 83 comments
7 years ago

Thanks, between my husband and sister I’m taken care of.:)

Ken Ball | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">9 comments</span>
Ken Ball | 9 comments

Positive thoughts and energy coming your way. Heal fast. Ken Ball

Laurie W.
Laurie W. | 1812 comments
Reply to  Rosewater | 8499 comments
7 years ago

Yes, indeed, for John. Been sending up pleas & wishes for him for some time. Super guy & courageous too.

Julles
Reply to  Sunny | 14 comments
7 years ago

I’ve never heard of this house. Might have to do a road trip one day to see it. I thought it was in England or Scotland at first. This house leaves me speechless. It was such a sad story though. A couple of minutes of a stupid mistake and a family is denied to him for the rest of his life and this castle needs lots of family, kids and dogs screaming through the halls looking for the wardrobe that will take them to Narnia.

Mona | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">19 comments</span>
Mona | 19 comments
Reply to  Sunny | 14 comments
7 years ago

OMG! Now THAT, is a GIANT step “back in time”! Absolutely unbelievable!

Julles
Supporter
7 years ago

Kelly, it was so hard to find just the right house (I can’t believe you do this every day). I wanted something that you might like. So many of them had someone with money come in and update them. I am hoping you haven’t already done this one.
1840’s Federal, $225,000, 3,690sq ft, .5 acres, New Bern, NC
Thanks to everyone who posted a link. While they weren’t as good as Kelly’s, they helped with that hole in my day since she has been sick.
Get better soon Kelly, we miss you a lot.

Reply to  Julles | 676 comments
Julles
Reply to  Rosewater | 8499 comments
7 years ago

Why is it a house with peeling and crumbling walls appeal to me so much more than ones that are “fixed up”? I’m with you. I would have a hard time touching any of the details.
Up Charleston way is one of my all time favorite houses,
Drayton Hall, http://www.nationalregister.sc.gov/charleston/S10817710005/

Reply to  Julles | 676 comments
7 years ago

Another VERY fine example! For me it is the presence of the past; the energy of those who came before, right in your face. Usually these spaces can only be found in basements and attics; but in these cases, one may feel that presence from room to room, and that is very special.

Julles
Reply to  Rosewater | 8499 comments
7 years ago

You’re absolutely right. With an updated home, it feels like a “new” old house. With all those original worn floors and walls, you can practically feel former occupants moving around, replaying scenes from daily life that have become imprinted in the walls.

Laurie W.
Laurie W. | 1812 comments
Reply to  Julles | 676 comments
7 years ago

I couldn’t agree more. The spirit of former occupants is so much closer when a house has old floors, un-renewed walls, doors & windows. Spirit as in personality & essence; I don’t mean ghosts (though wouldn’t rule them out!). It’s possible to feel the life lived in such a house & the activity, to think you hear voices of the past. Thank heaven this house is in the hands of the historical society, which will keep faith with it.

KimT
KimT | 79 comments
Reply to  Julles | 676 comments
7 years ago

Wow, what a beauty. Thanks! Pilgrimage destination.

Linda M | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">19 comments</span>
Linda M | 19 comments
Reply to  Julles | 676 comments
7 years ago

Julles, I’ve watched this house sit on the market for years and can’t figue out why. I agree with the others, that I’d stabilize it and clean it up and live in it like that. Why buy and old house and make it look like the present….ugh. I love the wallpaper in the attic, the dentil molding. This house faces a busy road with large brick churches and civic buildinggs of mid 20th century vintage. But it sits above the road and has a very private courtyard in the back. Also the side of the house is on George Street with it’s many historic houses, and in a block you’re at Tryon Palace!

| <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">346 comments</span>
| 346 comments
Reply to  Julles | 676 comments
7 years ago

Superb house. And pretty perfect just as it is, a dream of patina. I’d leave the kitchen and bathroom where they are, and in the main rooms would be happy doing little more than replacing the areas of lost plaster in the ceilings and knocking back the white of previous plaster repairs to look a bit less obvious. It’s not a house than needs no kitchen island, no tile backsplash, no “luxury spa resort bathroom”, no exposed brick, and no gratuitous bits of salvaged or reclaimed or repurposed anything.

All best wishes for a full and speedy recovery, Kelly.

Reply to  | 346 comments
7 years ago

– Or tin ceilings! Blech!

KimT
KimT | 79 comments
Reply to  | 346 comments
7 years ago

It would be a shame to sacrifice the dining room for a larger kitchen as has been suggested on the Pres. NC listing. I wonder whether the original kitchen was external? The Nat Reg documentation says Hollister paid someone separately to build the kitchen late in the construction. Seems like a fairly hefty sum too, perhaps too large to be just interior carpentry of an existing structure.

Would you know if there is a particular architectural term for the type of entrance hall in this house, where the arch frames the view of the stairway? Kelly had posted a more extreme example from NJ a while back: https://www.oldhousedreams.com/2011/03/09/1817-federal-tewksbury-township-nj/

Also, would you know if it was traditional to paint the wave pattern on the side of the stairs a contrasting color? I’ve been wondering about this; it seems to work really well here.

| <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">346 comments</span>
| 346 comments
Reply to  KimT | 79 comments | 79 comments
7 years ago

The suggestion in the listing was a bit alarming, especially being a property listed via Preservation North Carolina (“rehab ideas include adapting the existing dining room into a contemporary kitchen, creating a mud/laundry room and small powder room in the existing kitchen, and using the south parlor as the dining room”). Why stop there? Maybe knock out some walls and expose some brick and put in acres of that pesky marble mosaic backsplash that’s so popular right this moment?

There’s no specific term for an the entry hall as here and in the New Jersey house; the typical description is as an entry or stair hall divided by a segmental arched opening (or some similar descriptive variation.)

On the stairs, the wave pattern you describe are spandrels – an applied decorative bracket-shaped moulding at the exposed string of the stairs, formed in the triangle of each tread and riser. The use of a contrasting darker color for spandrels is a traditional practice to echo the use in finer houses from the early Georgian period onward of mahogany or other finish wood for the spandrels. I can’t tell from the photo if the spandrels here are painted or are a darker, finish grade wood. Not all stair spandrels were a contrasting wood or painted color, but some were, and those are more likely found in more ambitious houses.

KimT
KimT | 79 comments
Reply to  | 346 comments
7 years ago

Thank you! Always nice to have a reason to go back and look at the Georgians again.

KimT
KimT | 79 comments
Reply to  Julles | 676 comments
7 years ago

Thanks, Julles. Such a beautiful place, and so inspiring.

Reply to  | 1 comments
7 years ago

Love the little place on Main. Tons of potential; and gratefully without all the “tract house” “updates”, (except the unacceptable “plastic” windows).

KimT
KimT | 79 comments
Reply to  | 1 comments
7 years ago

Thanks for the links. Any idea what happened with this OH house?

Brosia | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">65 comments</span>
Brosia | 65 comments
Reply to  | 1 comments
7 years ago

I used to drive through Wilmington when I worked at the Renaissance Festival and would ogle the houses along Rt. 73…they are so beautiful! Love the exterior of the house on Columbus St…thanks for posting, Stephanie!

Bethster
Bethster | 812 comments
Reply to  Sunny | 14 comments
7 years ago

Thanks to all of you contributing links here. πŸ™‚ Unfortunately I can’t access these two; can other people? I think it’s because the links are in your “saved homes.”

Kelly, best wishes for your recovery!

Reply to  Sunny | 14 comments
7 years ago

Oops! When you search like that; in order to clip a working link you’ll need to cut and paste the address into a new window to access a working url; then cut and paste the link into your comment. Cheers! πŸ™‚

Sunny
Reply to  Sunny | 14 comments
7 years ago

ackkk … ill try and find and repost …

MM | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">4 comments</span>
MM | 4 comments
7 years ago

If you wonder if you are missed, indeed you are. Best wishes for a speedy & complete recovery.

Sunflower & Poppy | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">50 comments</span>
Sunflower & Poppy | 50 comments
7 years ago

Again Kelly – we’d like to join the growing chorus of well-wishers for your safe, complete, and speedy recovery! We will continue to send positive thoughts your direction — in our case all the way from the U.K.

Judybug | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">4 comments</span>
Judybug | 4 comments
7 years ago

Kelly, wishing you a full recovery as all our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Amanda | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">45 comments</span>
Amanda | 45 comments
7 years ago

Oh Kelly, we are all sending prayers and hope that you get well soon. I am going back to look at the old posts and keep dreaming. remember that this too shall pass!! you will recover, and meanwhile we will all be thinking of you and sending much love and yes, from the U.K too!!! ( My sister)

Trudy | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">24 comments</span>
Trudy | 24 comments
7 years ago

Feel better soon Kelly. Take care of yourself first. Looks like you have lots of faithful friends ready to back you up here while you are recovering πŸ™‚ Best wish for a speedy recovery!

Jamie Duffy | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">1 comments</span>
Jamie Duffy | 1 comments

Praying for your recovery

Michaeljoe62 | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">61 comments</span>
Michaeljoe62 | 61 comments
7 years ago

Take care of YOU first, Kelly! We all miss the posts, but we’ll definitely survive without them regularly. You are First Priority – so sorry to hear your New Year is starting off this way. πŸ™ Get better fast!

Susan Cram | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">3 comments</span>
Susan Cram | 3 comments
7 years ago

Kelly, don’t worry about a thing except resting and getting yourself well. I get pneumonia regularly and I feel for you. You don’t often get time to focus on yourself but this is one of them. I hope you feel better very soon and thank you for the many months of old house pictures and info you’ve shared with us thus far.

oldavman
Dennis Fester | 33 comments
7 years ago

My prayers for a speedy recovery.

ALICIA
LocalBluestocking | 25 comments
7 years ago

Best wishes for good health, I have missed your emails.

A pretty beach bungalow on the Connecticut shore. Yes, there is a shoreline in Connecticut.

Laurie W.
Laurie W. | 1812 comments

Great place! I’m in. I’d have to buy it with all the furniture — it’s just perfect. Looks like an area where people go generation after generation, passing houses down in the family. Super old stove in the kitchen.

Too bad taxes make it so hard to live there — they drove us out of CT. This house is bound to get owners who love it, though, most important.

Lynn K | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">80 comments</span>
Lynn K | 80 comments
7 years ago

No Worries Kelly. Wishing you a quick recovery!

2BlackCats | <span class="wpdiscuz-comment-count">14 comments</span>
2BlackCats | 14 comments
7 years ago

Though I’m a lurker and not a commenter, I do feel moved to come into the light and wish Kelly a swift and full recovery. All your house-y efforts are so enjoyed and appreciated. And thanks to all our fellow OHDers who are providing our “fix” with various links while Kelly recovers. Also, a belated thanks to all you knowledgeable folks who regularly comment, and from whom I am learning so much about old homes. (I will now accept my Golden Globe and leave the stage.)

Comments are reader and auto-moderated. If you feel a comment is inappropriate,
click the red flag at the top right of the offending comment. No political comments.

Commenting means you've read and will abide by the comment rules.
Click here to read the comment rules, updated 4/20/22.

OHD does not represent this home. You must independently verify listing details.
Send this to a friend