1904 Classical Revival – Maryville, MO (George F. Barber) – $339,000

Off Market / Archived Post From 2015
Posted in 2015. Sold status unknown.
Added to OHD on 8/26/15 - Last OHD Update: 10/19/16
623 W 3rd St, Maryville, MO 64468 Map: Street View
  • The landmark 'Robinson Home' is available for sale! Don't miss this opportunity to own a piece of Maryville history! Gorgeous woodwork, original fireplaces, curved-glass windows, and huge rooms will make you feel like you've stepped back in time - but all of the modern updates have been made! New furnace(s), all new baths, granite kitchen, new paint, new concrete - the list goes on!

48 Comments on 1904 Classical Revival – Maryville, MO (George F. Barber) – $339,000

1. I’m almost certain this is a George F. Barber home.

The street view (linked in the map section of the info box) shows it was being painted in 2013 and I swear is the cutest street view ever.

2. Scott Gordon (3 comments) - 08/26/2015 at 6:14 pm //

Yes…for sure a George Barber! Great house!

3. Sharon M (79 comments) - 08/26/2015 at 7:00 pm //

Wow! Nice house. I was thinking Barber scrolling through the pictures. Anyone have any idea what plan number this is?

• Chris DiMattei Chris DiMattei (233 comments) - 08/27/2015 at 11:08 am //

In my opinion, this home is more like Barber’s design #1 from the third edition of “Modern Dwellings”, with a different portico up front. It is also somewhat smaller in size than the published version of design #1.

• This the one?

• Kristi Edens (31 comments) - 08/27/2015 at 12:11 pm //

The roofline is a lot like this! Check out the floor plan of #8 in the third edition. I think that floor plan is extremely close to this house.

• Chris DiMattei Chris DiMattei (233 comments) - 08/27/2015 at 1:00 pm //

Yeah, that is the thing about Barber. He often mixed and matched his published designs, especially the floor plan layouts, for his clients in an effort to customize each home to the specific wants and desires of the inhabitants. This is something Barber felt he needed to do, in answer to his architect critics, who often lumped his work in with the mass produced, stock plan distributors of his day.

4. Ross Ross (2526 comments) - 08/26/2015 at 7:03 pm //

Oh baby, there is so much to love here!

5. Kristi Edens (31 comments) - 08/26/2015 at 7:15 pm //

It is VERY similar to design #204 in Modern Dwellings fourth edition. The roofline is different (204 has a gambrel main section) and the bottom landing of the staircase is a little different, but this could easily be a variation of 204.

• Sharon M (79 comments) - 08/26/2015 at 7:49 pm //

Thanks Kristi! Always curious to see floor plans on George Barber homes and this one is so incredible. And had to check out the street view based on Kelly’s comment and I agree, it’s the best one ever. Every kid should be able to grow up in a home like this one!

• Emerald_Russell (13 comments) - 08/26/2015 at 9:27 pm //

Where can one view the plans online??? TIA

• Sharon M (79 comments) - 08/26/2015 at 10:26 pm //

I’ve found this link to the Knoxville Library collection to be the best George F. Barber resource (although I haven’t been able to find Modern Dwellings Ed. 4 yet). http://cmdc.knoxlib.org/cdm/search/collection/p15136coll3 Make sure you have plenty of time before you click as you’ll be there awhile! Also, I believe it was John Shiflet who referred me to Google books for several of Barber’s catalogs and you can search within.

• John Shiflet John Shiflet (4848 comments) - 08/27/2015 at 11:34 am //

One Barber Planbook not available online is New Model Dwellings (1896) so there are gaps in the available online publication unless one has access to academic or large central libraries with rare book collections. I wish Dover publications (which has done an excellent job in republishing period planbooks and millwork catalogs) would add the aforementioned publication to their list of available titles.

• Kristi Edens (31 comments) - 08/27/2015 at 12:00 pm //

#204 in the fourth edition is design #8 in the third edition that you can see on google books. The floor plan is reversed from the published version and the staircase is built more like plan #9.

6. Joyce Godwin Grubbs (1 comments) - 08/26/2015 at 7:34 pm //

It would be worth the move to Mo. to live here. The price is fantastic. I wish the best to whatever person is fortunate enough to live here.

7. John Shiflet John Shiflet (4848 comments) - 08/26/2015 at 8:47 pm //

Arguably the finest period home in Marysville. I used to go occasionally to Marysville when I lived in St. Joseph, MO and used a bank branch there that was based in Marysville. Nice town with an impressive 19th century courthouse. It is in a remote rural region in far northwest Missouri that as I recall had hundreds of old abandoned farmhouses strewn across the rural landscape. Some of the old homesteads were architectural impressive but while Marysville looked alive and seemed prosperous the surrounding countryside didn’t. Nice to see it’s a probably George Barber design. The Knoxville, TN based mail order architect felt most comfortable designing towered Queen Annes but when stylistic tastes changed with the new 20th century he had to change with it and embrace Neo-Classicism.

8. MW (662 comments) - 08/26/2015 at 9:20 pm //

Wow, super nice house, inside and out. If that “O” was “D” in the address, I’d be all over this. But then of course it would be at least twice the price for sure.

9. JimH JimH (3751 comments) - 08/26/2015 at 10:21 pm //

An amazing house throughout, it looked even better fitted with balustrades all around: https://www.flickr.com/photos/americasroof/1516577771/in/photostream/
    John, a minor point – I don’t think the designer of this home felt even slightly uncomfortable working in this style!

• Ross Ross (2526 comments) - 08/26/2015 at 10:39 pm //

Oh, yes, Jim! The balustrades have to return!

• John Shiflet John Shiflet (4848 comments) - 08/27/2015 at 10:12 am //

Jim H., Barber did of course change with the times and beginning in the mid-1890’s starting offering “Colonial Renaissance” homes. The interiors were largely late Queen Anne with proper Colonial/Neo-Classical design elements throughout in features like mantels, stained glass windows, staircase balustrades and newels. Of course, if you wished for a towered Queen Anne, you could get essentially the same interior as the Colonial versions. Barber was not in the millwork business but in Cottage Souvenir No. 2, he featured some corbels and gable ornaments one could order separately. I think upon request, he could furnish suggestions and refer to sources for millwork. In his Modern Dwellings planbook a fair number of interior photos are included and at least one large Fretwork divider design is seen in an Keokuk, Iowa house,(in the planbook) a North Vernon, IN house, and Osawatomie, KS house. (The Keokuk, IA example is missing but the house still stands) Modern Dwellings represented a turning point where Barber’s very creative interpretations of the Queen Anne style gave way to more mainstream popular designs especially in the Colonial Revival/Neo-Classical/Georgian Revival style. He also came out in 1895 with a monthly periodical American Homes but gradually gave others the responsibility for publishing it. Since someone asked, here’s a free readable and downloadable Google Books (1901) version of MODERN DWELLINGS: https://books.google.com/books?id=JTkAAAAAYAAJ&dq=Modern%20Dwellings%20Barber&pg=PA94#v=onepage&q=Modern%20Dwellings%20Barber&f=false

• cassie.barrett (9 comments) - 08/27/2015 at 9:42 pm //

My husband and I own the Keokuk, IA house which, while missing the original fretwork as noted, has been beautiful restored and has been a bed and breakfast for the past 22 years. Interior and exterior pictures can be seen at http://www.thegrandanne.com. It is always nice to see another great Barber house!

• John Shiflet John Shiflet (4848 comments) - 08/28/2015 at 12:24 am //

Mrs. Barrett: here’s what appears to be an exact duplicate and its in a matching house (not as high end as yours) from the same plan in Osawatomie, KS: https://www.flickr.com/photos/11236515@N05/15458389260/sizes/k/ Just let me know when you want me to come make another one for you…kidding, I’m not quite up to that, at least not yet. Love your Keokuk B&B. Its one of the most beautiful Barber designed homes ANYWHERE! (and I’ve seen a few of them)

• Ross Ross (2526 comments) - 08/28/2015 at 12:52 am //

Cassie,

I 100% agree with John! Your B&B is STUNNING!

Also, I sent your URL link to Doug, the owner of the Osawatomie Barber. It will thrill him!

• cassie.barrett (9 comments) - 09/01/2015 at 11:49 pm //

Ross,

Thanks for your kind words as well. While not a Barber, we own a home across the street (on the river side) and down one from the Grand Anne, which has spectacular views of the Mississippi. It is not as authentically original as the Grand Anne, but you might enjoy looking at it at http://www.729grand.com.

• cassie.barrett (9 comments) - 09/01/2015 at 11:46 pm //

John,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I have enjoyed your posts throughout this website and so, coming from you, that is high praise indeed. We are aware of a couple of other houses that are the same floorplan. One is the George Ferris Mansion in Rawlins, WY, which we visited some years ago, but now, I gather, is a bed & breakfast as well. Then there is also the Gwaltney House in Smithfield, VA, which I was surprised to see is for sale on Old House Dreams. (I think this was featured on Behr Paint promotional material several years ago painted white, but it seems to be a green color now and appears to be in very nice condition.

Cassie

• Nice find, the balustrades were great!

10. Christine Klingsten (3 comments) - 08/26/2015 at 11:35 pm //

I have died and gone to heaven! This house is beautiful!!!

11. Hazelle (1 comments) - 08/27/2015 at 3:27 am //

Gorgeous home but don’t understand why the windows would be painted rather than restored to their original glory. I still see restoration work to be done, but I also see a lot of work already done. Major kudos to the person taking on this major restoration!

• Shellie Faris (1 comments) - 08/29/2015 at 12:52 am //

Thanks Hazel – we put a lot of love into renovations but moved out of town before complete – the house was in terrible shape when we started – hopefully we can sell it to someone will continue to love it.

• JimH JimH (3751 comments) - 08/29/2015 at 2:17 am //

Shellie, we can’t know all the work you’ve done, but your house is looking pretty damn good! You deserve a brass plaque, a medal and 3 kisses. And if those are your cute kids in the Streetview, it looks like you’ve done a great job there too!

• Weldon (1 comments) - 04/30/2016 at 2:33 am //

I talked to Tim twice about the house and I am very interested I would like to talk to him further about it. How can I get in touch with him?

12. Mary (47 comments) - 08/27/2015 at 9:01 am //

I like the colors in the street view much better than the all white paint job.!! The house is so massive the dark colors settled it in to the surroundings better

13. Michaeljoe62 Michaeljoe62 (122 comments) - 08/27/2015 at 9:59 am //

That exterior is Wedding Cake perfection. ❤️

14. Rick (113 comments) - 08/27/2015 at 11:48 am //

Always leaves you wanting more, wish they would of showed photos of the large garage in back. A kitchen photo shows one painted window frame and one natural, curious.

15. Sean Sean (189 comments) - 08/27/2015 at 3:17 pm //

What a beauty! All those Barber nooks and crannies! I wish modern design would design for the picturesque the way they used to. And that is a great price for this much house!

16. Sascha (63 comments) - 08/27/2015 at 4:11 pm //

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! Oh wait, I guess we’d need employment before traipsing off into the Missouri sunset and living a glorious life in this glorious house.
    Anybody have a bead on Maryville job prospects? 🙂

17. Melody (351 comments) - 08/27/2015 at 7:01 pm //

This house totally satisfies my need for symmetry!

Loves:
    That water well in the backyard.
    The above ground basement windows.
    That entryway tile work!

Not-loves:
    That WTF kitchen.
    Floral!!
    That bathroom.

Anyone else notice that the lino in the kitchen is curling up under the sink?
    For the most part, it looks like they’re doing a good job of restoration.

That eyeball attic window kinda creeps me out.

• Aquila (27 comments) - 12/28/2015 at 8:56 pm //

The flooring is not curling from age or wear, it was installed that way. I’ve seen this happen several times usually because the installer didn’t trim sheet goods properly or didn’t know how to properly trim so the sheet goods lays flush with the kickplate of the cabinet. It’s an easy fix. I wouldn’t bother as the kitchen would be redone in a more appropriate form. The woodwork is glorious.

18. Tommy Quinn (408 comments) - 03/16/2016 at 5:45 pm //

This place looks way larger than 3500 sq. ft.

19. Kimberley-Dudley-Pyett. (1 comments) - 03/18/2016 at 7:07 pm //

Hello Everyone, I live in a place Called Lincoln England. I have been looking at many lovely old Houses but I think this is the Best.Especially because Abraham Lincoln Made his Speech opposite at the Courthouse. I would love to buy this but I no nothing about Missouri. I have lived many laces in the USA. I have the perfect furniture for this house its so me in every way .Just think I could be your neibour. Its the Taxes that puzzle me??? Cannot figure them out at all. A really Special House with Special Ghosts too no Doubt.

20. kathy stokes-phillips (205 comments) - 03/19/2016 at 1:02 pm //

feels like Gone with the Wind, i’d name it Tara, and u can call me, katie scarlett, lol, wish i was rich, i’d love it