c. 1850 Italianate – Plain City, OH – $124,000

SOLD / Archived Post From 2013
Added to OHD on 3/19/13 - Last OHD Update: 6/7/15
15836 Robinson Rd, Plain City, OH 43064 Map: Aerial View
  • Elegant and stately historic property in Plain City. The house is named "Pleasantview Farm" and called the "Fairbanks Mansion" by many locals. Owner has upgraded infrastructure, electrical system, concrete, well pump, French drain, grading of yard, house roof, and some plumbing. Property has several out buildings and over 3 acres of land. Owner has also recently made 2 of the outbuildings structurally sound and functional.

13 Comments on c. 1850 Italianate – Plain City, OH – $124,000

1. Sue S. Sue S. (430 comments) - 03/19/2013 at 10:45 am //

There’s a tiny bit more info in this Craigslist ad: http://columbus.craigslist.org/reo/3667149301.html

The “Fairbanks” apparently refers to Charles W. Fairbanks, Vice President of the United States under Theodore Roosevelt and the namesake of Fairbanks, Alaska, but I don’t know if he actually lived in this house or not. There’s a “Charles W. Fairbanks Family Festival” annually in Unionville Center, Ohio.

• Kelly, OHD admin Kelly, Old House Dreams (7137 comments) - 03/19/2013 at 10:48 am //

Thanks!

• Sue S. Sue S. (430 comments) - 03/19/2013 at 8:55 pm //

For no other reason than I love a mystery, I’ve done more digging today. Apparently the family is trying to create a subdivision in the area, although thankfully from the plat maps it looks like they’re sparing the old house.

The home page of this site says in part, “Pleasant View Farm was homesteaded in 1834 by J.M. Andrews, one of Union County’s original pioneers. Here is where he built a beautiful home and farm – that is the cornerstone of our neighborhood.”

so I researched J.M. Andrews. Here is a site that shows a page from an 1877 Union County atlas:

and you can see “Pleasant-View Farm” and the Andrews mansion in the upper right of this Currier & Ives-style drawing.

Finally, I found this mini-biography: “J. M. Andrews, a farmer, was born in Montpelier. Vt., February 24, 1814, and is a son of Charles Andrews. He [Charles] with his family settled in this county [Union County, Ohio] in 1814, purchasing at the time a large tract of land. He died in 1823, and she [his first wife] in either 1818 or 1819. Seven children were born to them, two daughters and five sons. He married for his second wife Elizabeth Hurlburt, by whom he had two children. Our subject learned the blacksmith trade when a young man, and when of age he had only $35 in money. In 1841, he bought 160 acres of land, to which he has since added by purchase, and owns at present 361 acres. January 21, 1841, he was married to Ann, daughter of Samuel Sager, who bore him twelve children, four of whom are living, viz., Elizabeth, Ira, Alvira and Sarah. A son, Anson P., enlisted, in 1861, in the Thirteenth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry; he died at Sutton, W. Va., September 13, 1861. Mr. A. has served as Township Trustee a number of terms, and is an exemplary member of the Methodist Church. May 9, 1871, his residence was burned to the ground, and the following year he erected a commodious house which for design and finish has few equals. He is also interested in fish culture and his fish pool is stocked with imported German carp.”

So the house shown above was built in 1872.

Hope someone can restore it. And maybe have another fish pool. (Hope this was not ‘too much info’ !)

2. Alicia Kelly (11 comments) - 03/19/2013 at 11:45 pm //

Would love to fix this place up!!!

3. Lindsay (2 comments) - 05/14/2013 at 12:45 pm //

My father spoke with the listing agent for this house, since both he and I were interested in it (we live in the area). Sounds like the home has major structural damage (probably needs a new foundation?). The agent said it was a tear-down, and would not be worth fixing up. Makes me incredibly frustrated that beautiful, historic homes like this are even considered for tear-down! Obviously fixing this up would be a labor of love, and only possible for someone with deep pockets. If I had the cash I would buy this up in a heartbeat! Hoping it’s around for another 150 years 🙁

• Kelly, OHD admin Kelly, Old House Dreams (7137 comments) - 05/14/2013 at 1:01 pm //

Sorry to hear that. I don’t doubt it needs a heck of a lot of work, looks like it’s just been wide open to lord knows what for a long time. I certainly hope there will be someone who will pick up the tab for fixing it up and saving it. Thanks for the update.

4. LeAnna (4 comments) - 07/17/2013 at 11:29 pm //

Came across this house and was shocked to now know a bit of it’s origin (thanks Sue!). I used to ride out to Plain City to assist my mom who was an appraiser, and saw this old house with the front door gaping wide open (on several occasions, including winter) and wondering what was was going on. That was back in 2006! If the front door has been open that long, one can only imagine the condition of the interior- the agent’s comments on the structure integrity are most likely accurate. Though what one considers financially “worth it” can differ by person. One who wants to invest the $ into making it sound and has the passion for it, would probably say it’s worth it.

I often wonder when I see places like this, what the story is behind the house remaining unused for so long? It really brings out the curiosity of the bygone inhabitants and sparks the imagination of why it came to be empty. 🙂

On an aside, so happy I found this blog! So many amazing historical homes to see and it beats trolling the realty sites to satisfy my historical house addiction. I definitely share this blog with my friend and my mom who both have a passion for historical homes.

5. Ruby Perkins (1 comments) - 07/20/2013 at 1:58 am //

I definitely agree with hoping that someone purchases this home and restores its beauty. I love homes like this and love to enter them and just look and dream of what it was like when this house was first built. Hmmmmmmm, maybe I will some day in the future browse its history.

6. Erica Newman (1 comments) - 07/29/2013 at 8:40 am //

I am super interested in buying this home. I believe the foundation can be restored. I walked around it the other day, the roof is not complete there is facia that still needs replaced, I absolutely love the drive way but the out buildings will definatley need tore down. Its sad to because i believe 2 of them to be as old as the house is.

I love historical houses and This could be my dream home. I feel as though its only worth the lot it sits on as of right now.

Again Wish me luck! I will have an open house if i get the property and am able to fix it up 🙂

7. Lindsay (2 comments) - 07/29/2013 at 11:14 am //

Good luck, Erica! Yes, please keep us updated! I still look up this house every so often to see if it’s still on the market and dream, haha. There is a pic on the county auditor’s website that shows the old corbels around the roofline. Maybe they’re stored somewhere on the property?! (wishful thinking, probably)

8. Kelly, OHD admin Kelly, Old House Dreams (7137 comments) - 09/03/2013 at 10:22 pm //

Someone said a sign in front of this said sold, I’m curious who to and what will become of it.