1907 Classical Revival – Wakefield, MA – $1,994,999

Off Market / Archived Post From 2010
Posted in 2010. Sold status unknown.
Added to OHD on 6/21/10 - Last OHD Update: 2/21/16
$1,994,999
13 Mansion Rd, Wakefield, MA Maps: Aerial View, Street View
  • This once in a life time opportunity! 27 room mansion designed by Hartwell, Richardson. The Charles Winship House boasts an embassy worthy main floor with custom interior African mahogany and English Quarter-sawn oak by Irvin Casson and Davenport. Palatial entertaining rooms fitted with murals, 11? ceilings, oak fluted ionic columns and pilasters, hand painted trompe L?oeil walls and ceilings. 12 Fireplaces, 15,000+Sf an in-ground pool with mosaic tiles, views of Boston and N.H.
Historical Information
National Register of Historic Places.
    Last Active Agent
  • M&A Real Estate Inc // (617) 588-0087
  • Source Links
  • Zillow, Wikipedia

22 Comments on 1907 Classical Revival – Wakefield, MA – $1,994,999

1. Fergus Fergus (255 comments) - 10/30/2012 at 9:54 am //

Wow! the woodwork, the coloumns, the wallpaper and everything in and outside this house is amazing.

2. Braeden (7 comments) - 02/21/2016 at 2:28 pm //

The house is now vandalized and abandoned and slowly dicaying. Its really sad how it looks now. Urban exploration people have gone throught the house and posted videos on youtube as early as last mounth. All of the murals are gone now. It is really sad. There is puant in the steps if the staicase spray paint all iver the woodwork. Its is ashame to see such a beautiful house like this waste away to nothing.

• I gasped after checking out one of the videos. I’m going to say it. Damn the owners (I think a bank, looks like it went into foreclosure years ago) for allowing this to happen.

3. Braeden (1 comments) - 02/21/2016 at 9:11 pm //

Yeah. The first time I saw the video I didn’t even now where the house was it thatit was on here. I said to my self this is a shame. I have been desperately trying to find were it is now I know and what it looked like before it was abandoned. The place is so over grown and rotting away day by day. Those owners are so stupid.

• Checking the tax records it looks like it belongs to a bank or some investor group, I don’t really know. But for what the house was worth before, they should have secured it rather than allowing people to break in and tear it up.

4. jenuineOne (1 comments) - 02/25/2016 at 3:13 pm //

After watching a random YouTube video exploring abandoned mansions and the sad state of this building I felt compelled to do more research. Shame on the bank for allowing this to happen to this historical home and I feel so sad for the family who left behind everything. Horrible that people purposely vandalized and destroyed such beauty and history.

5. Maria (12 comments) - 06/14/2016 at 11:17 pm //

It is appalling to see the state of such a beautiful house. It wont be long now until the woodwork is stripped out. Such a shame…

6. Lee Lee (2 comments) - 07/12/2016 at 5:15 pm //

I went by to see this after watching a YouTube video those guys had no right to be there filming it making it worse. It is sin and a shame it got trashed it was so beautiful. The town should have put the plywood on the doors and windows right away maybe it could have been saved from rude teens who have nothing better to do that break and entering. 😥 It makes me angry it was ruined. I live in Wakefield where this is

• Micah1 (1 comments) - 02/18/2017 at 10:31 pm //

Hi Lee Lee What can we do? Any info would be appreciated. Look up #charlesnewellwinship on Twitter I’m trying to start something. My Twitter is @micah1winship for a real-time investigative story.⚓️📲😳

7. kathy kelley (1 comments) - 07/25/2016 at 11:38 am //

I used to live in Greenwood ( the capitol of Wakefield-Lol) and my husband and I were checking out abandoned property on the internet, we came across this house..So sad to see such a beautiful home destroyed by vandals ..Shame on the Bank for letting this House Go to Hell!

8. Steve InSay (1 comments) - 11/24/2016 at 8:50 pm //

The you tube videos about this property are truly depressing to watch.. You can see the beauty that once was under the ugliness of Vandalism.. So tragic too is the lack of respect of other’s property ( even if it is bank owned ) by those that chose to destroy it …Especially considering this house’s history. Does anyone know what the future plans are of this house ? I doubt they’ll get the 1.9M asking price now, even if it were for sale … It seemed to be pulled from the market…

9. Robert Jones (1 comments) - 12/19/2016 at 12:47 pm //
  10. AndrewN (2 comments) - 03/08/2017 at 3:35 pm //

Watching the videos of this once lovely building is sickening. Those vandals should be sent to a quarry to do work.
    And I’m not impressed with the urban explorers who seem to enjoy this destruction. However, maybe they have exposed the plight of this property.
    Since this building is heritage listed I would have thought the local government could get involved. The locals need to do something immediately to stop further vandalism. It really should of had a caretaker.
    With today’s technology mobile cameras could be set up to monitor for intruders.
    I do hope the locals can do something soon.

• Whitney (1 comments) - 07/04/2017 at 11:59 pm //

Of ALL urband explorers they are the most respectful and seem to be truly intrigued by the beauty of the homes and places as well as the history of why it was left that. way.

11. Urbexer1234 (1 comments) - 03/10/2017 at 3:35 pm //

Hi, As an urban explorer I would like to say that urban explorers are not the ones causing damages to the house. Vandals and thieves are responsible. urban explorers like to use the motto “take only pictures leave only footprints” and anyone who says that they are an urban explorer and vandalizes isn’t a true urban explorer. We are truly good people just trying to document voices of the past rather than letting them decay and die

12. AndrewN (2 comments) - 03/12/2017 at 5:52 pm //

Hello Urbexer,
    I think the comment you left was in response to my earlier post. I just wanted to say I didn’t want to connect urban explorers to vandalism, however there are some who claim they are urban explorers but seem not to follow responsible rules.
    For example there are videos of this house which show personal photos of the owners including children. That is very wrong.
    I don’t know the full story of the owners of this property, but I think it’s safe to say it is a sad one and it needs to be treated sensitively. It’s unlikely the owners would have given permission to have these videos shown on a public forum.

Then there’s the issue that spreading information of abandoned buildings is a magnet for vandals. It is impossible to keep locations secret once they are posted on a public forum.
    Maybe it’s better to stick to abandonded industrial and commercial sites that are truly run down.

13. Lee Lee (2 comments) - 03/21/2017 at 1:41 am //

I just read the past two months of police logs in my town of Wakefield the cops keep catching teens trespassing on the property sending them on their way. These punks won’t learn their lesson to stay away how stupid are they for keeping doing that to this beautiful home it once was. 😪😥😡😖

14. Dan murphy (1 comments) - 04/21/2017 at 1:59 am //

I was wondering about this house , it would be nice to clean it up and do it over , I was looking into making a claim on the place .

15. Resoration Pro (1 comments) - 06/11/2017 at 10:22 pm //

I just linked to here to read more about this house after seeing an urban explorer video on YouTube. If this is on the national register for Historic places, it should have been preserved before it was destroyed by vandals. I just about puked seeing what became of this absolute masterpiece of architecture.
    Unfortunately I don’t live in MA, or I would be doing what I could to get this property to restore it. I own a remodeling business, and would turn this into the prize it once was. I could even remove all the paint on all the woodwork. It seems to not have any water damage, which is the worst that could happen to any property, so I assume the roof is in decent shape.
    If there is a local historical society, perhaps they can arrange some volunteers to help to seal the building? I believe the bank will do nothing to restore it, and if they do, it will be as a tax write off, if they do anything. Likely the bank allowed this to happen so they could just write it off as a loss for the amount it is assessed at before it was destroyed.

16. Graciegirl (3 comments) - 07/11/2017 at 10:55 am //

Urban explorers are law-breaking trespassers. Just because the property is vacant or bank-owned, doesn’t excuse anyone from entering a property that is not theirs without permission from the owners. Bank-owned property is still ownership. If you are injured exploring a property, that owner, bank or otherwise, might have to fight a lawsuit if an urban trespasser decided to sue. I don’t care what your intent is, you don’t have the legal right. And you are making public the items left behind by owners, including personal effects, which is selfish and exploitative.