Posted on 11/17/2017
19 Comments
Posted on 11/16/2017
9 Comments
Posted on 11/14/2017
11 Comments
Posted on 11/01/2017
29 Comments
Posted on 11/01/2017
7 Comments
Posted on 11/01/2017
11 Comments
For Sale
National Register
For Sale
6 Beds | 6 Baths | 24950 Sqft | 18.8 Acres

1846 Greek Revival – Napoleonville, LA – $2,650,000

4250 Highway 308, Napoleonville, LA 70390

Madewood, the great Henry Howard plantation house just outside Napoleonville, Louisiana, was built by the Pugh Family in 1846. They lived there until 1896 and are buried on the property; Madewood was restored, and has been cared for by the Harold K. Marshall Family and descendants Keith and Millie Marshall for the last 53 years . . . since 1964. They have created a home for themselves and for friends and guests who share their passion for music and the arts and architecture and have brought Madewood alive . . . simply by living there and welcoming guests from around the world. Now those pleasures can be enjoyed by fortunate new owners. The Pugh Family cemetery to the rear of the carriage house is fenced and family members and others are buried there in handsomely marked tombs and gravesites. The main house is a mansion in its grand scale, artistry, and beauty, and massive in size. It retains a feeling of authenticity, and is comfortable without telephones, televisions or modern intrusions in the bedrooms. Like most Howard buildings, it is so well built that it is still plumb and level. It is a step set back in time. Several outbuildings have been brought in to join the original brick carriage house, in the acreage around the house, creating a small usable plantation complex. Rosedale, a small 1916 Queen-Anne-style home; Charlet House, an 1822 cottage, an early building; a blacksmith’s house, and a newer cottage are surrounded by lofty live oaks, brick patios and garden beds. The main house floor plan feaures a center hall, double parlors to the right, and an elegant cross hall to the left, with a music room and a downstairs bedroom suite; the single story north wing holds a library, huge ball room, the original kitchen and service rooms. Upstairs in the main portion are four guest bedroom suites. The south wing houses a smaller current today’s kitchen, an owner’s suite with sitting room, bedroom, two large walk-in closets and a bathroom with steam shower and sauna, and a screened-in gallery.

Posted on 10/31/2017
30 Comments
Posted on 10/30/2017
15 Comments
Posted on 10/30/2017
24 Comments
Posted on 10/27/2017
15 Comments
Posted on 10/26/2017
4 Comments
Posted on 10/25/2017
30 Comments
1 2 3 12