1936 Spanish Eclectic – Longview, TX – $775,000

Added to OHD on 9/13/17 - Last OHD Update: 9/13/17
814 Charlotte Dr, Longview, TX 75601 Map: Street View
  • Built in 1936, this home is on the national register of historic homes. Designed by architect Clifford Hutsell, one of the few he built outside of Dallas. The interior is amazing. Stained glass, soaring ceilings, elaborate murals done by Mexican artisans, gorgeous tile patterns. Wood floors; multi colored roughly textured plaster on walls. Cream colored brick simulates stucco. Rough hewn wood balconies. Master has sitting room; Study with rounded walls. Each bedroom has its own bath. Gorgeous lot with well.

35 Comments on 1936 Spanish Eclectic – Longview, TX – $775,000

1. Thanks Tony Bianchini for sharing!

• Ross Ross (2526 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 2:07 pm //

OK.

Wow.

Wow!

WOW!

JUST WOW!!!!!!!!

Oh, and Kelly? I think you accidentally inserted a kitchen image from another house. Can you find the real and glorious 1936 kitchen for this house?

• Yeah, I wish that was a mistake. But looking at everything else, looks like the only thing to do (besides some paint color changes.)

• Rosewater Rosewater (2669 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 3:36 pm //

Right! How do you live in THIS house and that’s the kitchen you install? Not that there’s a thing WRONG with it – just – well you’re right; it sure does not fit. I just can’t imagine how someone with “ordinary” tastes as such ends up HERE in such a demonstrably extraordinary house. Heheheh.

• KarenZ (537 comments) - 09/17/2017 at 2:23 am //

I love everything in this house but the kitchen (even though the whitewash wood cabinets were the same ones that I chose in 1999 when we built our home)! I love all of the beautiful and bright colors and I definitely agree with the palm tree detailing–I would keep it! This house would be really perfect for me–I would be quite happy there!

• Bethany (1770 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 7:35 pm //

Ross I thought the exact same thing.

• Rebecca Campbell (1 comments) - 09/14/2017 at 3:25 am //

I live in Longview and have been inside, unfortunately this is the updated kitchen. What a shame.

2. H Eason (3 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 2:26 pm //

Is the kitchen picture from another house? It falls out of the whole spanish theme.

3. JimH JimH (3751 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 2:46 pm //

Awesome house! The faux rustic logs and the conquistador theme are a little much, but it’s cool otherwise. Looks well preserved, exc. the kitchen of course.

Not separately listed but part of the NRHP Nuggett Hill Historic District. Old postcard:

• JimH JimH (3751 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 3:12 pm //

Built for James Frederick Stuckey (1882-1946) and his wife Sally, who had no children and lived here with servants James and Almeda Ellis in 1940. They valued their home at $50,000 at the time. Stuckey was a retired dry goods merchant who made some lucrative investments in oil wells.

4. Sue Sue (1165 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 3:02 pm //

Wow and wow.

5. Mike (11 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 3:11 pm //

This begs to be a filming location, that’s for sure.

6. Rosewater Rosewater (2669 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 3:16 pm //

Whoa! Mercy. Now that’s a showplace! Whoooeee – gorgeous. I took one look at that spider and thought Zook! Not so, (after reading the description – of course). Well, ole Clifford certainly did have some serious FLAIR for the dramatic when comissioned by an appreciative client with the money to indulge him. Super funtastic! Here’s a really good link to a site about himself:

7. StevenF (100 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 4:16 pm //

Worth every penny, but I’d ditch the log cabin and palm tree details in the living room. Especially when you see in a later photo that the logs are hiding some kind of dance floor lighting scheme. What a beautiful place.

• Ross Ross (2526 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 4:56 pm //

You would throw away a WAY cool original feature which has survived 81 years?

You would throw away a WAY cool original feature, depriving later owners of its enjoyment?

Why would anybody buy such a unique home…and then try to de-unique it? There are a lot of dull homes out there! Buy one of those instead!

NOTE: The “logs” are not hiding a lighting shame. The logs are the the diffuser for the lighting.

8. Kristi (31 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 4:50 pm //

Wow, that architect was from the “too much is just about enough” school, wasn’t he? In almost every room, there’s something that is just over the top. The ceiling in the dining room is gorgeous, but the tile on the front of the bar is blinding. The tile work is beautiful, but I’m not sure I could live with that red, white and blue bathroom. I would love to know what the original kitchen looked like! I was so disappointed to see a plain white modern kitchen!

9. Agusta (82 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 4:53 pm //

Absolutely spectacular!

10. Phillip (108 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 4:53 pm //

yeah this house is super cool, almost identical to one we have here in b’ham. The one here has been turned into a wedding venue. These spanish eclectic homes just ooze character and my mission/tudor/arts and crafts/gothic stuff would fit right in. Truly a lucky person who ends up with this one, let us hope they preserve it.

11. Wendy T (15 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 5:46 pm //

I need a paper bag to breathe into as I am hyperventilating. THE BATHROOMS–what tiles and colours. Totally in love with this house. But I too thought the kitchen photo snuck in from another listing!

12. AliciaD (1 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 6:23 pm //

I grew up in Longview, and I have always admired this house. Nugget Hill was the “it” neighborhood back in the day, but as the city grew to the north, homes south of HW 80 like this one grew less desirable.

13. jeklstudio (705 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 6:25 pm //

How did those astonishingly gorgeous three piece bathroom mirrors survive intact all these years?! The bathrooms…gahhh! so lovely!

14. dkzody (192 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 6:29 pm //

Yes, live-in help would be necessary to keep this place clean. Absolutely fabulous.

15. Phillip (108 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 6:52 pm //

Turns out that the one here was designed by a dallas architect and built in 1938. The designs are extremely similar. The house here in b’ham was known as the Bundy mansion and is now operated as a wedding venue. It’s website is https://www.gabrellamanor.com I have to wonder if it was not the same architect.

16. Leanne (16 comments) - 09/14/2017 at 5:29 am //

The magenta and black bathroom!!! I want o want I want!

17. JRichard (56 comments) - 09/14/2017 at 7:28 am //

Let me add my voice to the chorus of astonished praise.

18. NancyN (49 comments) - 09/14/2017 at 7:28 am //

This is not normally my type of house, but OMG, I would live in this house in a heartbeat. Except for the kitchen, like everyone else, it’s “normalness” sticks out like a sore thumb. I love the burgundy bathroom myself.
    I love the quirkiness and all the stained glass (be still my heart).
    Now I just need to find a sugar daddy that who has an extra $800,000 (gotta’ redo that kitchen) who loves the house as much as I do.

19. kimmers (32 comments) - 09/14/2017 at 8:55 am //

THE BATHROOMS! Pure beauty! The tile in this estate is so cool!!!

20. sunshine053 (14 comments) - 09/14/2017 at 9:39 am //

Muy Fabulouso! Not sure how I feel about the BLUE shower and sink. Seems to clash with the red and black (and I am partial to red and black). I wonder if the toilet is blue too??? The kitchen needs jazzed up.But WOW! Fountains and Wisteria and tile and stained glass!!! I love it!

21. Carolyn E. (28 comments) - 09/14/2017 at 9:36 pm //

I love everything about this house! The stain glass, the dark maroon color of the bathroom seemed to add some mystery to it. I could sit outside and enjoy a cool piña colata next to that fountain, any day…