1802 School – Philadelphia, PA – $199,900

Added to OHD on 9/12/17 - Last OHD Update: 9/12/17
  • Sqft: 2000
3322 Willitts RD Philadelphia, PA Maps: Aerial View, Street View
  • This unique property was the original Thomas Holme school house, built in 1794 and Historic Commission designated the property historic and listed on Philadelphia Register of Historic Places. The home does have fire damage and water damage. and is being sold as is condition. Attention investors and serious buyers. Enter at your own risk, do not go up the stairs, adults only in property. There is an abundance of parking on this lot which is on a half an acre plus a 2 car garage. Tons of charactor an potential!!!

A fire ravaged this in 2006. I found the Friends of Lower Dublin Academy website with some photos and history. Plus interior photos, before the fire and after the fire. Also some additional exterior photos here and here. The old school (which was later turned into a residence in the 1990s and lastly a lawyers office) was placed on Philadelphia’s Endangered Properties list, the fear is that the property will be bought with the house torn down and turned into commercial development.

8/15/12 Edit: I found an article that a school was trying to come up with funds to buy the structure and to turn back into a school. The articles I found were from 2011, I’ve not found anything more about if they were able to raise enough funds to buy the school.

10 Comments on 1802 School – Philadelphia, PA – $199,900

1. Wendy (57 comments) - 04/16/2011 at 9:18 am //

You often read accounts of these wonderful houses being destroyed by fire whether 100 years ago … or more recent, but I’ve never seen present day images of the the before and after. I have to agree … very sad.

2. Mark (278 comments) - 04/16/2011 at 2:03 pm //

“Home does have some fire damage”

Yes, just a tad.
    Looks as if every square inch of the interior is damaged.

3. Ryan (913 comments) - 04/16/2011 at 3:05 pm //

May that arsonist burn in Hell! Just sayin’.

Interesting story about the 18th century clock that originally looked out from that central dormer. It’d be cool if a local person really did find it sitting in some dusty attic or barn or whatever. Reading the clock’s history also made me curious about the original appearance of the building itself, though. They say the dormer was added to the building especially to house the clock, but the center part of this building (where the front door is) looks like it always projected out from the facade, so wouldn’t there have been a dormer there anyway….to tie that projecting bay’s roof to the two-sided roof covering the rest of the building?

4. Shelby (31 comments) - 04/17/2011 at 2:32 pm //

I hope someone with a lot of money and comes in and gives her new life. Not very practical, but if I had a lot of money I would.

5. Joseph Bradley (1 comments) - 02/01/2016 at 6:56 pm //

Some fire damage? The place is torched through and through! I can’t believe this home wasn’t protected under the philadelphia historical society

6. Posted in 2011. Went off market for years, back on. The exterior image shown is from 2011.

2016 article: http://planphilly.com/articles/2016/09/06/researcher-works-with-ghosts-of-history-to-save-lower-dublin-academy

7. Bethany (1770 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 2:50 pm //

Fascinating article. It would certainly be a shame if this revolutionary era structure can’t be saved.

8. JRC (37 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 4:39 pm //

One of the articles referred to the 2006 fire as arson. Was it ever determined who set the fire? I couldn’t come up with any information.

• I couldn’t turn up anything either. I think the 2016 article was the latest about the school (but I didn’t do a super search today on it.)

9. Ryan (913 comments) - 09/12/2017 at 11:51 pm //

LOL I must have the Oldtimers Disease because I have absolutely no memory of this post, this building, or my previous comment. But for good measure, I must say that I agree with this Ryan fellow:)