1860 Greek Revival – Romeo, MI – $278,000

Added to OHD on 9/8/17 - Last OHD Update: 9/7/17
117 Bradley St, Romeo, MI 48065 Map: Street View
  • Beautiful historic home built in 1860 that boasts with the charm, character, and warmth of the homes built in that era. This spacious home has been classically updated and maintained by the current homeowners of over 30 years. Enter the home thru the stunning foyer with hardwood floors. The spacious living room is accented by the 11' ceilings and leads to the dining room with fireplace. Kitchen has been updated with tall maple cabinets, quartz countertops, built in stove, oven, dishwasher, overhead lighting and a huge walk-in pantry. 1st floor master bedroom w/ spacious walk-in closet with built-in storage and updated full bath w/ standup shower. 3 season rooms overlooks nicely landscaped yard. Beautiful stairway leads to the upstairs with 3 bedrooms (1 with walk-in closet) & another room that would be perfect for office or another bedroom and a full bath. 1st floor laundry, newer hwt, furnace, roof (2013), full basement, spacious garage w/room for a workshop, paver patio, & MUCH MORE!

11 Comments on 1860 Greek Revival – Romeo, MI – $278,000

1. Lindsay G (843 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 11:30 am //

Oh Romeo, Romeo, where for art thou Romeo?

2. John (22 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 6:27 pm //

Nice house. Maybe it’s me, but I have a hard time with kitchen islands in old houses. I’d so much rather see a table and chairs, or a breakfast nook (had one as a teen in a 20’s Dutch Colonial when we moved from a big old Greek revival farmhouse.) I know old kitchens can be small, when dining rooms, or if you were really well off, breakfast rooms and dining rooms, were where you had meals— if you weren’t in a house with a ‘country kitchen.’ I’ve seen some great islands in huge kitchens, don’t get me wrong, just like these types of houses a little closer to their original set up. Most modern families would likely not agree, and I get that, counter space is a must with my better half.

• Karen (197 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 7:18 am //

I agree. It just looks wrong. I grew up in an 1870’s house with a big kitchen and a big kitchen table – used for eating, playing card and board games, playing with clay, coloring, making paper dolls, repairing small items, tying fishing flies, and counter space.

• Warbon (87 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 2:51 pm //

I, too, agree. To me, granite counter tops just don’t go in old houses. Same goes for islands. Just attach the extra cupboard/counter to the existing counter and leave the granite in the quarry. I also noticed they have replaced the door knobs on the first floor that look a little too modern eventhough they are the lever style. But I just do not like overly updated/modernized kitchen in older houses.

• Paul M (25 comments) - 09/10/2017 at 12:17 pm //

I don’t mind kitchen islands, per se, but I don’t like the raised “bar” portion of this particular kitchen island. If the island was one level, I wouldn’t mind it as much. As for the rest of the house — it’s in great shape, with nice, large rooms. The windows look new and the floors are in great shape. All I would do is paint and take down some wallpaper. But overall, it’s an amazing property.

3. cinderyogi (5 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 10:30 pm //

gorgeous house! In beautiful shape. I’d live there in a heartbeat!

4. Linda Owens (5 comments) - 09/10/2017 at 11:31 am //

I’m interested in these older homes. Your site is so helpful to a novice that wants to learn. I do have a question about the paint colors. Was it true to the period to use the deep red, green and lilac colors of paint? Lovely home.

5. peeweebc peeweebc (146 comments) - 09/11/2017 at 10:32 pm //

One city I haven’t been to in Michigan, what a pretty house, for some reason, that kitchen doesn’t bother me this time! Huh.

6. FG (15 comments) - 09/13/2017 at 1:55 pm //

I think the blank wall of the island is what bugs people.

I’m annoyed with the faux prairie style window, but otherwise it’s a nice house and in good shape.

7. Gregory K. Hubbard (48 comments) - 09/14/2017 at 5:55 pm //

This is a lovely home, handsome, never a common design, but it’s a classic of its type. Wonderful stairs, great woodwork, fine ceiling moldings, period pantry. If you look up Greek Revival Residential Architecture in any architectural history, I can guarantee that this home, or one similar, will be one of the illustrations.

However, everything has been straightened to the point where it feels like a starched shirt. It LOOKS brand new, as though just built. The windows look to be new, designed to resemble old sash. The siding may well be new – it does not show the rippling, sometimes pronounced, typical of early siding. Perhaps insulation and new systems were added that way.

Except for the windows, it reminds me of a museum’s period rooms. It looks as though museum curators have created a brand new historically correct setting for treasured antiques to show visitors what the furniture and decorative arts looked like in their natural habitat, when they were all new.

The result is crisply elegant, just not for me.

8. abevy (141 comments) - 09/14/2017 at 10:56 pm //

Romeo is a beautiful town. Has lots of old historical homes. They have lots of orchards and have a peach festival every year. Roughly located north of Detroit quite a ways– Just to give you an idea of where the area is.