1906 – Independence, KS – $130,000

Added to OHD on 9/7/17 - Last OHD Update: 9/7/17
319 N 5th St, Independence, KS 67301 Map: Street View
  • So much character! Three bedroom, 1 3/4 bath dutch colonial home. Beautiful original hardwood floors, woodwork, pocket doors, stained leaded glass. Kitchen has been updated with all stainless steel appliances. Formal living room, formal dining room, den with gas fireplace, private screened porch. Privacy fenced yard with storage building, hot tub, and one car garage. So many other cool features to mention!

6 Comments on 1906 – Independence, KS – $130,000

1. GeoffreyPS (97 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 5:04 am //

Is the first floor exterior brick or siding with a brick pattern? Photo #4 confuses me.

• Warbon (87 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 1:53 pm //

The first floor is brick and the top floor is stucco. The front porch “rail” is actual brick. The wall of the house there, I’m not sure. Doesn’t look stucco, doesn’t look like any siding I’ve ever seen. Makes you wonder if it’s a composite or what. It’s the way the corners are that throw me. Did you also notice that material goes up to the front door, then on the left side of the door it’s actual brick again?

2. shellbell67 (127 comments) - 09/08/2017 at 10:21 am //

That brick/tile fireplace surround is pretty awesome & lots of cool stained glass!

3. dawn (8 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 1:08 am //

I love the stained glass. The pocket doors are beautiful. I like the staircase and the stairs look wide. I don’t like narrow stairs. Lol I know I’m wierd. Beautiful porch area.

4. montana channing (199 comments) - 09/09/2017 at 5:55 pm //

help me – i’m suffering from architectural cross contamination. A stucco over brick Dutch Colonial with a Spanish tile roof in Kansas. Dorothy was right “Toto, I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore”. This place, while gorgeous inside has to be the mixed metaphor of all time outside. It must have more stained glass than Ross’s and many panels have a nod to FLW as do the dining room chairs. And it has many other yummy features – a real gem.
    i think i see why so many Hollywood stars have so many homes. if you’ve got the money and you love old houses, why not.

• GloriaH (46 comments) - 09/14/2017 at 4:52 pm //

Really not too unusual to find that kind of mix in this area. My current home is rock and stucco. There is also a composite material which is gray and has a pebbled appearance. I have a 1935 Dutch Colonial with that staircase.