c. 1860 Gothic Revival – Danielson, CT – $334,999

Added to OHD on 8/11/17 - Last OHD Update: 8/11/17
  • Baths: 2 full, 2 half
  • Acres: 2
444 Main St, Danielson, CT 06239 Map: Street View
  • Back on the Market with Tons of updates! Beautifully & Elegantly Restored 3 Floor Victorian. Beautiful Bright Kitchen, with a dreamy Butlers Pantry. Large Formal Living room with Fireplace, 7 Bedrooms with spacious closets in each room, 2 Full & 2 Half Baths with original Deep Bath Tubs. 3 Wood Burning Fireplaces, 1 in an upper level bedroom that's made of an alluring white Marble, fit for a master bedroom. The second floor of this home features a large screened in Porch w/storage closet. This home has something for everyone. Zoned for Home Business, there's also potential for a Bed & Breakfast, or event Venue. Check out even more space to utilize in the Massive 1500 sqft Carriage House, Just repainted inside & Out! A two Car Garage, and 3 vehicle Car Port. Carriage house has 'full' underneath access. Walk the 2 Acres of Exquisitely landscaped grounds, A Gardeners Dream! This home was meticulously restored & cared for. Professionally updated electrical, oil heat was converted to gas, Main House roof has 50 year shingles, New sewer line installed to the road, nothing to do but move in. This home is a must see!
    Contact the listing agent for more info.
  • Rachel Grills-Botelho, Almost Home Real Estate Services // (401) 408-3125
  • Source Links
  • Movoto, Realtor

20 Comments on c. 1860 Gothic Revival – Danielson, CT – $334,999

1. I love the paint colors they chose. Actually I kind of like everything (although it looks like the interior had a makeover at some point) and wouldn’t do much except change out the newer light fixtures and maybe a couple of other small things. You think they’d throw in their sewing table? 😀

• Bryan K G (15 comments) - 08/11/2017 at 2:50 pm //

I agree, Kelly. Other than a few, fairly minor things, this house absolutely oozes warmth, light, and cozy yumminess (the colors, hardwood floors, and all that natural light)! Overall, it’s simply begs you to come inside to snuggle up with a book and something warm to drink.
      This beauty surely cannot be ONLY just under 3700 sq ft, can it? It definitely appears to be much larger.
      And I had my eye on that sewing table also. It’s definitely a keeper!

• Annabelle (31 comments) - 08/11/2017 at 5:46 pm //

I agree! Love pretty much everything. How cute is that pantry! I would love to have a room with GOOD light for sewing and ironing. So dark at my house.

2. Mardib (22 comments) - 08/11/2017 at 4:24 pm //

It’s my birthday today, can I have it please???

3. Cathy F. (1074 comments) - 08/11/2017 at 4:40 pm //

Lots & lots of windows, incl. bays, making for plenty of natural light! 👍🏼

4. Rob (29 comments) - 08/11/2017 at 5:19 pm //

The ceilings seem low and I am wondering if we are viewing the original height?

5. Mike (12 comments) - 08/11/2017 at 7:25 pm //

Nothing Gothic Revival here.

• Why do you think that? It’s a pet peeve of mine when someone comes here and says “This isn’t that style…” and then nothing else. If you do not see the Gothic Revival influences here then you don’t understand what Gothic Revival is.

• CharlestonJohn CharlestonJohn (604 comments) - 08/12/2017 at 11:59 am //

This center gable form is probably the most common Gothic Revival type built, so that’s a pretty good giveaway that there’s at least some Gothic Revival styling here. The glimpse of the newel post also looks like a nice example of Gothic influence. The bargeboards and some other details have likely been changed and simplified. There’s maybe some Greek Revival influence seen with the wide frieze boards, front corner trim that may be imitating pilasters, and the pedimented lintels over the second story windows (although these are Victorianized as well). Oddly enough, the most interesting thing to me is the bottom sash of the center bay second story window. Wonder why it’s like that.

• Kelly, Old House Dreams admin (419 comments) - 08/12/2017 at 12:11 pm //

Thanks CharlestonJohn. I had wondered if this was built earlier as a Greek Revival and updated with Gothic details. I felt the Gothic details outweighed the Greek so labeled it as such.

• JimH JimH (3751 comments) - 08/12/2017 at 3:15 pm //

The house didn’t exist on a detailed map in 1869, so it must have started as a late Gothic Revival house sometime after that. Maybe the classical details were added a few decades later. The gazebo seems to capture the original style.

• Kelly, Old House Dreams admin (419 comments) - 08/12/2017 at 3:20 pm //

Thank Jim for trying to turn something up on the history.

• CharlestonJohn CharlestonJohn (604 comments) - 08/12/2017 at 4:50 pm //

Jim, I thought the house shown on the 1869 map as belonging to J.A. Williams was the posted house prior to a remodel/ expansion. You’re better at reading these than I am.

• JimH JimH (3751 comments) - 08/13/2017 at 2:25 am //

C-John, I scaled it off between the existing streets and this house is south of the Williams house, unless the streets have moved.
              I’m seeing a lot of details from about 1880 except for a couple of mantels that might have been brought in. It doesn’t make sense to me that they would have built the big Gothic center dormer and rebuilt the interior, but left the little window pediments and dentils that would have come right off.
              It’s possible the exterior was classicized later and the odd Gothic gable trusses were a recent attempt to bring that aspect back. That’s why I mentioned the gazebo, which looks like a modern designer’s model of what the house may have looked like. I could be wrong, but I’ll stick with my first impression.

6. Mellissa Simmons (2 comments) - 08/12/2017 at 12:50 am //

Kelly, I have that same table in my kitchen. It was my great grandmother’s table! My husband just refinished it and we use it as our dining room table because it actually has two leaves you can insert to seat up to 8 people. If I ever sell it I’ll keep you in mind! I love this house and CT is a beautiful state. I’d move there in a heartbeat if I could afford it! The house is a great price though, and in beautiful condition, I wouldn’t change a thing!

7. Johntique (23 comments) - 08/12/2017 at 8:34 am //

….. House is meticulous, neat and clean: Realtors take note …. THIS is how to show a house!
    I LOVE the way the kitchen floor tile has been laid …. very creative and beautiful. I HATE radiators – but the one in the kitchen is a masterpiece of design; totally Neoclassical in feeling, almost like a small iron heating stove. I could live with rads like this in any rooms!

8. Susan Lind (64 comments) - 08/12/2017 at 10:18 am //

Where has this house been all my life??? There is not one thing I would change. Would move in in a heartbeat. Thanks for finding and sharing this beauty!

9. Nancy (2 comments) - 08/12/2017 at 6:14 pm //

This is a lovely home, it was newly painted a few years back. I live in South Killingly which is up a mile or two from the town of Danielson. This part of town is nice not beautiful like some towns in New England. But this is a nice property well cared for and up the Street from the famous Logee’s Greenhouse, the oldest in the country. Worth the trip to visit the Quiet Corner of Connecticut.

10. Jazzgirl (5 comments) - 08/16/2017 at 6:39 pm //

Love the kitchen! Not thrilled with the color selections throughout the rest of the house. But it’s on our list to see.