1896 Queen Anne – Portland, MI – $269,900

Contingent or Pending Sale
Added to OHD on 5/24/17 - Last OHD Update: 9/18/17
  • Baths: 2 full, 2 half
510 E Bridge St, Portland, MI 48875 Map: Street View
  • Queen Anne era home. Three bedrooms, two full and two half baths with several bonus rooms, office, and maids' room. Constructed of the finest 19th Century materials. Copper rain gutters, granite block foundation, marble sinks, cast iron claw foot bathtub. Large living room and great room, butler pantry, third story ballroom, and gardening house out back. New steel roof (replica of original slate) installed in 2016. New rubber membrane roofs installed on all flat roofs in 2017. Original, unpainte d hardwood trims and light fixtures throughout. Restored with original-style plaster and colors. Fascinating history; designed by significant Michigan architect, William G. Robinson. This home is a Portland community treasure! Contact Sweet Team Homes at RE/MAX DeWitt at (517) 668-6715.

36 Comments on 1896 Queen Anne – Portland, MI – $269,900

1. This was on the site in 2015. While it was on the market a tornado passed through, that’s why the lot looks a bit bare. The house was safe but had some damage, it was removed from the market to be repaired and is now back on! The postcards/old photos were from the previous listing.

Check out the 3D tour, liked in the Sources section up top.

2. MonChiChiPox (180 comments) - 05/24/2017 at 11:33 am //

You’ve outdone yourself in finds today. I for one, with older homes that deserve it, like no shrubbery directly around the house. I like these old houses to be seen without that kind of obstruction. With all the trees gone it would be the perfect opportunity to install my pool. The house is perfect though and the blank tableau of the landscaping could be a fun project for a new owner. You’d get to put in whatever you want.

3. Kerronlt (16 comments) - 05/24/2017 at 12:10 pm //

This is one of the most beautiful houses here in Portland, but does look really bare since the tornado.

4. Beth H (38 comments) - 05/24/2017 at 12:41 pm //

A tornado – that’s why it looks so bare! Thank you for that info… because that was the first thing I thought. That lot is just screaming for old, established heirloom plantings. The house is gorgeous, though!

5. Shea (28 comments) - 05/24/2017 at 1:46 pm //

I love this house! It is even in my home state but I am not in a position to relocate currently.

6. bdgraeber (42 comments) - 05/24/2017 at 2:03 pm //

What a stunner! I love everything about it. It is one of the jaw-droppers I have saved to my favorites.

7. selenabird (11 comments) - 05/24/2017 at 2:53 pm //

Well, put me down on the “I love this house” list too, it is more than fabulous.

8. Rosewater Rosewater (2669 comments) - 05/24/2017 at 5:00 pm //

Fantastic house! Not overly fancy, but SOLID; tornados be damned. Of course I’m agog over the Home Comfort, wood fired range in simply SPLENDID condition = NICE! I see they have one of those beautiful, period, fireplace inserts I still know nothing about. Please – if anyone knows anything about it, please say something. My guess is that it is a wood burning insert, but it could just as likely be gas. So cool. The faux slate, steel roofing system is REALLY great. Fooled me. Bet that cost a fortune. The “gardening” structure would make a rad kids play house.

9. peeweebc peeweebc (146 comments) - 05/24/2017 at 6:26 pm //

This is the next town over from us, our town, (Ionia) and Portland are chock full of gorgeous homes like this. I sure remember that tornado.

10. Suzanne Moe (21 comments) - 05/24/2017 at 7:04 pm //

Someday I will have a house with a tower or turret. This is fantastic!!!

11. Sherri Surita (4 comments) - 05/24/2017 at 7:43 pm //

All I can say is wow

12. Michael Mackin (868 comments) - 05/24/2017 at 7:49 pm //

Picture #8….are those railings on the sidewalks? It looks as if they are as they are missing from the front and rear porches.

The house is outstanding……and still standing even after a tornado! The good part is a blank slate for landscaping!

• Kerronlt (16 comments) - 07/10/2017 at 9:12 am //

the railings are supposed to be on the roof over the front porch and also the porte-cochère. If you go to google maps it shows the house pre-tornado

13. KarenZ (537 comments) - 05/25/2017 at 1:39 am //

I love this house so much! That foyer is just gorgeous and I love the gold ceiling! I would absolutely love to have that third floor with all of that open, beautiful space. I agree that I would put in a pool and some lovely landscaping. Oh, a girl can dream!

14. Kimmers (32 comments) - 05/25/2017 at 10:46 am //

I’ve always wanted a house with a ballroom on the 3rd floor!

15. loretta61 (3 comments) - 05/25/2017 at 1:59 pm //

Love the addition of the postcards of the original house. What a treat!

16. Loub (90 comments) - 05/25/2017 at 2:11 pm //

What a lovely house!
    The untouched woodwork is a knockout.
    I wonder about the fireplace, could it be wood burning?
    Putting in zoned spacepak would be a considerable undertaking.
    Lots of work in the area, near shopping and medical.
    It’s as nice as the best of the queens in Oak Park, but without the price tag or the taxes and with a REALLY big yard.
    I am sorely tempted to leave Chicagoland.

17. mjwildcat (10 comments) - 05/25/2017 at 2:55 pm //

A big gigantic hug to the owners for not painting that beautiful woodwork and mantels!!!

18. MazamaGrammy (181 comments) - 05/25/2017 at 8:43 pm //

What a find! If I lived in the area, I’d definitely be interested in this one.

19. Jennie Bauer (72 comments) - 05/25/2017 at 9:56 pm //

Gorgeous home, and I love this house even more knowing that it withstood a tornado. It wants to survive. The neighborhood is packed with equally wonderful homes and looks like it would be very friendly place to live: I love that Google maps caught three older folks socializing on the lawn across the street. A great place to “set a spell”. I do hope the rest of the neighborhood faired well in the tornado too.

20. Sue Sue (1165 comments) - 05/25/2017 at 11:47 pm //

I wish all houses had 3D tours. First thing I thought was “she looks so lonely sitting there on that treeless lot” then I read about the tornado. What a shame but what fun you could have planning gardens, making a little orchard, putting in a pool perhaps? Such a lovely place.

21. Colleen J (1172 comments) - 05/25/2017 at 11:51 pm //

That kitchen, that pantry … the bathrooms, everything!!!!!! WoW

22. pinkladywithcats (14 comments) - 05/28/2017 at 5:44 pm //

Regarding the fireplace, we have two in our 1897 Queen Anne Victorian home with the exact design. It is not an insert. The firebox within the fireplace has traditional construction and could have been used to either burn wood or coal. The components are brass-plated cast iron. The whole assembly is bolted to the front of the fireplace opening. The raised area just above the floor has an opening that tilts up to remove or sweep out ash. Judging from the exterior photos, I instantly thought a tornado had gone through and I was right. See how superior these houses are compared to modern construction.

23. abevy (141 comments) - 05/28/2017 at 8:52 pm //

That pantry is to die for. Kitchen is nice. Lovely woodwork.

24. Anthony (1 comments) - 05/29/2017 at 4:27 pm //

Coming to see this home from Manhattan. Old homes are coming back very strong. People are simply tired of cookie cutters. Magnificent from the pics.

25. Stellabella (4 comments) - 07/29/2017 at 12:38 am //

Love trees this is a blank canvas to plant the correct trees in the right spot! Also a wrought iron fence if possible ( not the awful modern hollow ones yuck! Finish off the trimmings and you have yourself one gorgeous home! Love,love, love!

26. Wendy (2 comments) - 09/01/2017 at 1:40 pm //

Can the house be moved? 🙂 LOL

27. Wendy (2 comments) - 09/01/2017 at 3:01 pm //

How much is enough money? 🙂

• Heck if I know, you’d have to consult a house moving company. I’m sure you would have to buy the whole house and land to do it so add that in the cost. Where would you move it to? 🙂