1905 – Hutchinson, KS – $109,900

Added to OHD on 5/16/17 - Last OHD Update: 8/8/17
  • Baths: 1.5
407 E Sherman St, Hutchinson, KS 67501 Map: Street View
  • This grand two-story home located in the historical Houston Whiteside area of Hutchinson is ready for a new family. As you ascend the front steps you will be greeted by a spacious covered wraparound front porch. As you step through the front door you will enter a vestibule & through another door you will enter a spacious foyer with a beautiful staircase & striking arched doorway's to the formal living room & dining room. 2 windows w/leaded glass flank the very ornate fireplace. The arch doorways are supported ornate pillars. There are wood floors w/ornate border design in the foyer, living room, & dining room. Large kitchen has ample cabinets for storage plus a swing out pantry cabinet. Appliances include a side-by-side refrigerator, electric range, microwave, & dishwasher. Just off the kitchen is a room w/ washer dryer hook ups. Off the phone where you will find a guest half bath. Main floor family room has Wood flooring, ceiling fan , & French doors to a covered wood deck. As you ascend the staircase to the 2nd floor you will notice a beautiful leaded glass window on the landing. There are three bedrooms, a large laundry room w/sink, & remodeled bath w/tub-shower, vanity, & vinyl flooring. There is a rear staircase that leads to the main floor family room & another set of stairs leading to the attic (could be finished for additional living space). Wood flooring throughout the 2nd floor.

28 Comments on 1905 – Hutchinson, KS – $109,900

1. Tommy Quinn (408 comments) - 05/16/2017 at 2:45 pm //

Ho-boy! Was not prepared for the interior… Where the heck is Hutchinson Kansas? Oops, wait… Kansas = tornadoes. Neverrrrr mind. Those things really scare me. What a great house though.

• I don’t think Kansas gets as many tornadoes as many think. Georgia has led the “tornado race” so far this year. https://weather.com/storms/tornado/news/georgia-most-tornadoes-so-far-2017

• Ross Ross (2526 comments) - 05/16/2017 at 3:12 pm //

I have lived in Kansas for 21 years now.

And have yet to meet a tornado.

NOTE: One has a FAR greater chance of being killed in a car accident than being killed by a tornado. Yet people jump in their car every day with nary a concern.

• Marc (124 comments) - 05/17/2017 at 9:31 am //

Tell that to Dorothy…

• Bev Reed (13 comments) - 05/17/2017 at 10:08 am //

Dorothy didn’t die. In fact, her experience with a tornado should make all of us want to experience one!

• Eric Unplugged Eric Unhinged (165 comments) - 05/17/2017 at 2:27 pm //

“The Wizard of Oz” was just a movie. I am amazed at how gullible people are after 78 years… just goes to show the powerful sway of Hollywood and the media in general. I have lived in Kansas for 32 years without encountering a tornado. But that’s OK; we enjoy the peace and quiet, the low population density, the low cost of quality housing, the high standard of living and the distance from urban areas.

• Ddbacker (30 comments) - 05/16/2017 at 4:50 pm //

Hutchinson is home to the Kansas State Fair and the Kansas Cosmosphere, a pretty awesome aerospace museum. Otherwise, your observation is correct.

• Ddbacker (30 comments) - 05/16/2017 at 4:52 pm //

• Melody Koontz (66 comments) - 05/17/2017 at 7:04 am //

Hutchinson is a nice place…lived there. Not far from Wichita. Lived in KS for 15 years and never experienced a tornado.Hutch is famous for salt tunnels where Hollywood stores and thereby saves their movies. Great house!

2. Cathy F. (1074 comments) - 05/16/2017 at 3:01 pm //

Nice big front porch – deep. Lovely entry hall & main rooms. And those newel posts… they are so very… *solid* looking.

3. Ross Ross (2526 comments) - 05/16/2017 at 3:14 pm //

The main rooms were a surprise. It looks as if the interior of a VERY grand mansion was squeezed into a modest-sized home.

Fabulous.

• Bryan K G (15 comments) - 08/10/2017 at 3:09 pm //

I thought the EXACT SAME THING, Ross! . . . well, not the EXACT same thing, but close!
      I LOOOVE the delicious surprise of this home’s interior. The entry area and ALL THAT GORGEOUS WOODWORK is simply YUMMY!!!
      The spacious, airy upstairs landing/hallway – YUMMM!!!
      The ginormous front porch!
      And the price!!! What’s not to love about this quietly dignified beauty?

4. Eric (203 comments) - 05/16/2017 at 3:55 pm //

Wow, what an impressive entry hall with big chunky columns and big chunky staircase spindles. The weight of the entry hall overpowers the rest of the modest Kansas home.

5. historybuff (33 comments) - 05/17/2017 at 5:25 am //

I grew up in Wichita, Ks, and except for a couple of scares the only tornado I experienced was when one went through Udall and my family took food and blankets to the townspeople. I loved Kansas and would happily move back there. I’ve lived in earthquake country and now live in hurricane country. With tornadoes there’s a warning, same with hurricanes. So hide out in the basement. I love this house!

6. LUCINDA HOWARD (187 comments) - 05/17/2017 at 9:24 am //

The “wow” main rooms remind me of my favorite house that Kelly posted in 2015 in Westport, MD

7. Bev Reed (13 comments) - 05/17/2017 at 10:10 am //

I’m actually wanting to move to Kansas. If
    I could convince my husband we should purchase an old house I’d snap this up!

8. JimH JimH (3751 comments) - 05/17/2017 at 11:39 am //

Lots of goodness for a hunnert and change.

Agents need to learn how to step back and take a decent curb shot of their listings. Back in the day, you usually got one exterior photo to use for ads, but it was a good professional one.

9. Michael Mackin (868 comments) - 05/17/2017 at 11:40 am //

The interior, especially the entry hall, blew me away! I wasn’t expecting that much fine woodwork!

10. Jamesthegood (18 comments) - 05/17/2017 at 1:45 pm //

I would look forward to stepping in that front door everyday! Very beatiful and nouveau-ish, wonder what the outside looked like originally. Just can’t get over the circles,totally tubular, just an awesome place! oops sorry for my eighties lol. Kansas is a great state and always have met some of the most salt of the earth, great people, every time I go through.

11. Colleen J (1172 comments) - 05/17/2017 at 3:54 pm //

Oh my goodness the woodwork!

12. kathy stokes-phillips (205 comments) - 05/18/2017 at 8:12 am //

that woodwork and staircase was a shocker, didnt expect that. WOW

13. Maura (1 comments) - 05/18/2017 at 9:26 am //

OMG the woodwork and the beautiful floors!

14. mjwildcat (10 comments) - 05/22/2017 at 1:17 pm //

The entrance took my breath away! Love, love, love all of that wood!!!

15. Peggy Murnahan (1 comments) - 07/16/2017 at 5:19 pm //

I will have this house!

16. Kim Garrison (47 comments) - 08/08/2017 at 3:57 pm //

I believe I would brave an F5 tornado for this house. That woodwork is to die for. The foyer alone is something beautiful to behold. Love it!

17. Stephen Bowyer (5 comments) - 08/08/2017 at 5:16 pm //

To replace the woodwork, if you could, would cost more than the price of this charming old house. The wood floors look pretty decent too. The Cast iron radiators are possibly a scary feature, or not.

18. Sarah and Gary Thomsen (1 comments) - 08/08/2017 at 9:13 pm //

This house takes my breath away. Love!!!!