c. 1840 -Danville, KY – $375,000

Added to OHD on 1/10/17 - Last OHD Update: 8/2/17
  • Baths: 4.5
238 N 3rd St, Danville, KY 40422 Map: Street View
  • A historical gem! This fully restored Greek Revival/Italianate home is worth a look in downtown Danville. Wonderful details inside and out. Interior features include 12 foot ceilings, 6 fireplaces, period accurate historic hardware, new granite countertops, slate and marble tile in two bathrooms and a refinished cast iron claw foot tub. Lots of upgrades, including all wiring, breakers, GFCI outlets and baths upgraded. Exterior highlights include a beautifully landscaped property, repainted exterior and 36 new Spanish cedar wood shutters. This home is just a short drive to Lexington, Cincinnati, Louisville and Nashville. Within minutes from local shopping, dining, Norton Center for the Arts, McDowell Medical Center and the library. This home is in an exciting locale -- next to everything!

14 Comments on c. 1840 -Danville, KY – $375,000

1. Thanks Dwight for sharing!

2. Kay (110 comments) - 01/10/2017 at 1:03 pm //

Fabulous home! Furnishings are just beautiful.

3. Rosewater Rosewater (2669 comments) - 01/10/2017 at 8:28 pm //

That’s some idea of a formal rear garden – mmm yeah. Here’s another one:

4. skrippy (18 comments) - 01/11/2017 at 12:37 am //

That’s a beautiful restoration–I don’t even mind the granite in the kitchen. But I’m really confused by the rear elevation. The room with all the windows is above the door, so where/what does that steep sloped roof go to/do?

5. Amanda (3 comments) - 01/11/2017 at 9:54 am //

Those floors?!?!?!? <3

6. Colleen Johnson (1172 comments) - 01/11/2017 at 10:54 am //

Yes please! I don’t even mind the painted wood, looks right in this house. I love the furniture too!

7. Diane (377 comments) - 01/11/2017 at 11:16 am //

Lots of inside work and stripping of floors has been done. Outside is so puzzling – would be interesting to see old pictures. Not sure why the huge side yard wasn’t included in the landscaping.

8. Susan (64 comments) - 01/11/2017 at 11:43 am //

Be still my heart! I love everything about this house! Tasteful, understated elegance. When can I move in???

9. Shannah302 Shannah302 (41 comments) - 01/11/2017 at 12:12 pm //

L.O.V.E!!!!! Everything! Floors, garden..just WOW!!

10. Cheryl Start (9 comments) - 01/11/2017 at 1:26 pm //

I was impressed with this house for several reasons. The fireplaces are absolutely beautiful, and they look functional! I loved the floors and the large halls. The area that really surprised me, was the door halfway up the staircase. I have seen many old homes over the years online, but this is the first time I have seen a door that closes in the middle of the steps. Has anyone else ever seen this?

11. Warbon (87 comments) - 01/11/2017 at 2:37 pm //

I wonder what happened to the house that sat on that lot. On the Google map of 2007 it shows a fairly modern house and then by 2012 it was gone! For my personal preference, I would’ve left the exterior unpainted. I thought it looked better the red brick.

12. dmobeck (30 comments) - 01/13/2017 at 11:56 am //

I’m puzzled as to why there are no pictures of either the sun room upstairs or the lower entryway on the back of the house. I’m assuming that some of the rooms are in the original attic space?

13. lem (6 comments) - 01/16/2017 at 11:21 pm //

Im curious about why houses built in this time period have such large bedrooms. I know they used wardrobes to store clothes rather than closets but they didnt take up much room. The only heat came from fireplaces,it had to take a big fire to heat a room.

14. Julles Julles (541 comments) - 08/03/2017 at 11:53 am //

Truly beautiful Federal/Italianate/Greek Revival? Although the style looks mostly Federal to me. Very well done, but I would have stained the floors to mimic a patina as opposed to looking brand new. I think I would have tried to make the bathrooms more period appropriate with handmade copper tubs and a bowl on a simple washstand with the toilet in a separate room where it looked like a small chest you opened up with a seat inside. Although, I am sure that is not a popular opinion! Add some perennials to the sides of the back yard (because one must have flowers!) and it would be perfect. Now to just get the money and the jobs, lol! To the owners, Good Job, Well done!