1895 Queen Anne – Eureka, CA – $449,000

SOLD / Archived Post From 2015
Added to OHD on 9/25/15 - Last OHD Update: 1/14/16
904 M St, Eureka, CA 95501 Map: Street View
  • Winner of the Eureka Heritage Society Preservation Award, 904 M Street captures the essence of the 1895 luxurious lifestyle. From the artwork above, light fixtures, to the formal dining room, you will forget you live in 2015. That is, until you connect to the in-home network. This home boasts new electrical wiring, copper water lines, and new natural gas lines throughout! Just when you think it can't get any better, you also have a second building with two 1 bedroom 1 bath apartments rented at $550 each, and 6 separate Ford Model T sized garages. When its time for dinner, your kitchen with 2 spacious counter tops will help keep you organized. 904 M street awaits your arrival. Visit soon and make it yours.

21 Comments on 1895 Queen Anne – Eureka, CA – $449,000

1. Steve H (141 comments) - 09/25/2015 at 5:29 pm //

The owner blogged extensively about the house and his meticulous restoration.

This is surely one of the most impressive restorations I have ever seen. The price seems pretty reasonable when you consider it’s California and the included rental building.

• Ah! I didn’t realize this was the same house. I think I also put it in an old sampler a while back and someone pointed out the same thing. Sad they are having to sell it after so much work.

• Steve H (141 comments) - 09/25/2015 at 8:53 pm //

I know. The owner really seemed to put his heart and soul into that house. Hopefully it’s for good reasons, like maybe he found a new project. You know, once bitten by the restoration bug… (although you couldn’t prove that by me. If I ever get my place done, it will be strictly margarita and hammock time).

• Ross Ross (2526 comments) - 09/25/2015 at 9:48 pm //

I was loving the blog, but the owner stopped adding new posts in 2012.

And now the house is for sale.

What happened?

I also agree with Steve. Great restoration. Stunning (and cool) house.

• evers310 evers310 (116 comments) - 09/26/2015 at 7:19 pm //

Yeah, I used to follow his blog all the time until he started espousing his political ideology in it. Call me crazy but I don’t want to hear about politics when I’m looking at a house blog.

2. Bethany (1770 comments) - 09/25/2015 at 5:55 pm //

Great vintage bathrooms!

3. Brosia (94 comments) - 09/25/2015 at 8:11 pm //

I concur. This home is amazing and it’s clear the owners put a lot of thought into the restoration. Often, the kitchens and bathrooms in old homes have been modernized or left in an odd mixed-style state. Not the case with this house.

4. MJC35 MJ35 (7 comments) - 09/25/2015 at 9:59 pm //

Wow, if you didn’t look at the blog photos, you’re REALLY missing out. What an awesome restoration. Lighting is killer, baths are meticulous… Really almost exactly how I’d have done it. Just, wow.

5. bfish (237 comments) - 09/25/2015 at 11:29 pm //

Those of you familiar with the owners’ blog allude to something inexplicably changing during the house’s restoration. The bedrooms do seem very “plain vanilla” (literally) compared to the downstairs rooms. I’m a big fan of bold color and high contrast so I really love how the main floor is restored and decorated.

• Brosia (94 comments) - 09/26/2015 at 3:20 pm //

I thought the same. While I hadn’t read the blog, I wondered whether it could be attributed to the current owners running out of decor budget, as a restoration like this certainly doesn’t come cheap, or they wanted to leave some things up to the new owner’s taste. Would like to think it’s the latter.

• Meg@sparrowhaunt.com Meg@sparrowhaunt.com (163 comments) - 09/26/2015 at 6:49 pm //

Having followed his blog from very early on, it was always my impression that his interests lay far more in restoration than the decorating side of things. That said, it’s somewhat terrifying when such an avid blogger and restoration enthusiast stops writing and puts his home up for sale. While I hope he’s onto bigger and better things, it’s hard not to assume the worst and project that onto my own projects…

6. karrie (184 comments) - 09/26/2015 at 10:17 am //

I am packed and ready to move, now where did I put that map of my buried treasure? sigh such a dream. One blessed person will own this beauty and sure hope they appreciate it for its history….

7. Karen (197 comments) - 09/27/2015 at 4:21 pm //

Did anyone else note the brown lawns in the pictures of both Eureka houses? The houses are lovely, but California has problems, and Eureka is not what it once was. It might be a very tough place to live.

• Tommy Q (408 comments) - 09/28/2015 at 11:33 am //

We are in the fourth year of drought which is why the lawns are brown. Hopefully El Nino will bring us some much needed rain this year. Eureka — being on the northcoast — is still far greener than my current home — Sacramento.

Cities of any size north of San Francisco have seen an influx of folks from south of Texas. This has had a significant change on the culture and feel of places such as Fort Bragg, Eureka, Booneville, etc. Eureka also has its roots in the so-called hippie movement (trust me, I know -L-) from the late ’60s. Plus, Eureka is the capitol of Humboldt County. Still and all, a lovely place to live, especially if you like rain and fog.

• Sapphy (616 comments) - 09/28/2015 at 12:21 pm //

I’ve noticed that there are a lot of “my style” Victorian houses in Eureka. The thing that’s held me back from buying any of them is the humid nature of coastal cities and towns. I don’t mind rain, but my body does. I have an autoimmune disorder which is made worse by humidity and dampness. That’s why i’ve set my sights on a more central or eastern part of northern California. I’m thinking somewhere closer to the Nevada border. There’s much less humidity there than there is on the coast. Cold makes my disorder worse too, and the state i’m currently living in is one of the coldest in the US. I wish i’d known that i’d get sick before i moved here.

I’d looked into Arizona as my obvious first choice, but i just don’t like the architecture there. And in the rare event that you find a Victorian home, it’s always priced way more than Victorian homes elsewhere.

• Karen (197 comments) - 09/28/2015 at 2:25 pm //

I know the brown lawns are from the drought/water restrictions. That was my point. It might be why people are selling; Oregon is getting more people moving there from California. I have a friend who grew up in Eureka and still has relatives there. She’s talked about declining property values and gangs/drugs, but I don’t have any firsthand knowledge.

8. Sapphy (616 comments) - 09/27/2015 at 10:12 pm //

This is such a pretty house. And it’s in northern California. But i wouldn’t be able to live with another house sitting in what’s supposed to be my backyard. Great restoration job though!

9. Lottie Lottie (409 comments) - 09/28/2015 at 8:21 pm //

Love the butler’s pantry! 🙂

10. Julie Rossington (45 comments) - 09/29/2015 at 2:24 pm //

Awesome kitchen & bathrooms!! Some of the colors are a bit strong for me but it’s beautifully done. Some landscaping would help a lot-even rock gardens, given the drought.

11. lara jane lara jane (875 comments) - 11/11/2015 at 12:41 am //

So has anyone heard anything from/about Greg? It worried me when his house came up for sale and I’d forgotten about it until now.

If you haven’t read his blog, track down his posts about building the dining room cabinet and sourcing the tiles for his bathroom floor. The guy is talented and ingenious. He also did a marble test that should sway anyone who’s so afraid of it that they’d choose granite (blech!) instead.

Thinking positive thoughts for Greg, wherever he may be.

• Ross Ross (2526 comments) - 11/11/2015 at 8:55 am //

Greg’s blog just abruptly stopped. I have tried to find out the back story, and if Greg is OK, but have so far discovered nothing.