1917 – Asheville, NC – $299,000

SOLD / Archived Post From 2015
Added to OHD on 8/26/15 - Last OHD Update: 11/16/15
53 Woodlawn Ave, Asheville, NC 28801 Map: Street View
  • This is the Traditional Montford beauty you have been waiting to restore. Original hardwood floors, molding, trim, and stairway ready to be refinished to the splendor of yesteryear. Living/dining/bedrooms all have the original handcrafted mantels; a small office upstairs too. Enjoy this great neighborhood with sidewalks and easy access to downtown. Turn this house into your home.

16 Comments on 1917 – Asheville, NC – $299,000

1. Nothing architecturally significant going on here but the house looks so depressed (and a little creepy with the made beds.) It’s sitting there saying “Someone love me…”

• Andrew Wing (9 comments) - 08/30/2015 at 10:52 am //

There are tons of homes like this in Asheville. The Montford neighborhood is the most significant of the district. I do believe this home was designed by Richard Sharp Smith, a renowned English-born architect that called Asheville home. I’ve passed by this home many times. It’ll be restored soon as there is a high demand to be in this neighborhood.

2. Ross Ross (2526 comments) - 08/26/2015 at 7:00 pm //

I like the house.

But…………..$300K?

3. oldbeauty (27 comments) - 08/26/2015 at 9:45 pm //

I thought the house looked pretty good but inside was a let down.
    Woodwork not painted :o) In the last 3 years prices in Asheville have almost tripled. Older cute little houses were $50-60k, flipped quickly (nothing special done) and now sell for $120-180k. Same happened to bigger homes. I had wanted to move down there to be near my son & daughter-in-law. Instead my Mom & cat came to live with me and she doesn’t want to leave her doctors here in Maryland. Things have worked out fine.

4. cmklingst (9 comments) - 08/26/2015 at 11:42 pm //

Asheville is expensive, but I agree with Ross 300k is way to high. If the renovations were complete then I could see it.

5. JimH JimH (3751 comments) - 08/27/2015 at 4:26 am //

I love this house, not so much in its present Shabby Chic condition but for what it could be, given the original details and woodwork. There are a few other Four Square houses nearby to compare, and the hot real estate market of Asheville will determine the “fair price”. I would want to know about the closed fireplaces and the other structural and systems issues, but this could be a fine home in a great town with the right improvements.

6. Claire (14 comments) - 08/27/2015 at 12:02 pm //

Looks pretty interesting looking at the outside. This poor house has needs major systems from the looking just at the electrical. Even the sidewalks need repair. Love Ashville but this is a lot of money for a house that needs so much. Would like to see the “after” pictures if someone takes on this project.

7. Lottie Lottie (409 comments) - 08/27/2015 at 1:32 pm //

What is going on here with the plaster repair? Are they repairing the whole house at one time instead of room by room?

I love Ashville, NC! Stayed in several houses in Ashville that have a little corner bathroom sink like this one.

8. Laurie W. (1378 comments) - 08/28/2015 at 11:47 am //

Even for Asheville, $300K for this condition is a lot. It could be a real treasure — I love unassuming simple lived-in houses like this, but besides what is visible, all kinds of problems could show up once somebody starts opening walls, etc. Can’t imagine it will sell at anything near this price. I hope the owner cares more about making it possible for it to be preserved. Potentially a super place.

9. Julie Julie (168 comments) - 08/28/2015 at 5:46 pm //

Putting furniture in there for the photographs/showings just makes it look really creepy. It’s a cute house, but yeah, even in Asheville that seems awfully high!

10. Sold for $271,000.