1900 Queen Anne – Edenton, NC – $585,000

SOLD / Archived Post From 2014
Added to OHD on 1/13/14 - Last OHD Update: 12/14/16
110 Old Hertford Rd, Edenton, NC 27932 Map: Street View
  • Horses, B&B, boutique hotel, event destination, or single family residential. This incredible historic property sits on 5.5 acres with inground pool, out buildings including old Cotton Gin for restaurant/stables. Mill cottage on property has many possibilites...in-law, innkeeper or guest quarters. The main Queen Anne Victorian home has three floors of spaciuos living, 18in. thick solid brick walls, 7 fireplaces one displaying a Tiffany mahogany mantle/English tiles, and grand oak Eastlake staircase all under a Buckingham slate roof and within bike or buggy ride to shops and coastal waterfront!

33 Comments on 1900 Queen Anne – Edenton, NC – $585,000

1. Cody H (150 comments) - 01/13/2014 at 9:34 am //

I think I’m in love…

2. Audrey (124 comments) - 01/13/2014 at 1:13 pm //

The exterior is gorgeous! The interior leaves much to be desired… you’d think with that price they’d complete all their touch up painting before taking the listing photos.

3. Rosewater Rosewater (2492 comments) - 01/13/2014 at 1:37 pm //

The brickwork on this house gives it such amazing depth and character. Love…

BTW: check out this house, (houses – twins – fraternal), in Muskegon MI! My friend sent me a link and it blew my mind. He knows I’m lately infatuated with the Aesthetic, or “Eastlake” movement in American Victorian Architecture; and he’s right that it’s, (they’re), probably the most amazing example(s) to be found anywhere. None of the individual photographers grouped their images in sets, so I grouped a bunch of them into a gallery. Just click on the photographers photo stream link from any individual image to see more of their pix. We’re talking hand carved dragons, bats, lions, monkeys, heads of all races (?); it’s a trip.. Enjoy!

4. Mark (278 comments) - 01/13/2014 at 1:37 pm //

I agree with Audrey. The exterior is nicely detailed. The interior…everything is in a partially fixed state.Half hearted attempts at stripped woodwork on the stairs, patches everywhere, etc. Almost looks like a flip but that doesn’t seem to be the case. Not really a fan of the architectural stylings of the open staircase that lands in the middle of the room. There’s been a few of those I can remember on OHD. There’s also the addition on the back where an architect was really needed.

All in all, it has a lot of potential to be a beautiful place. Some nice outbuildings.
    Maybe a bit too much in price?…whenever you start with “make this your boutique hotel” that makes me think they’re just throwing out a big number to see what happens.

5. Bob H (202 comments) - 01/13/2014 at 2:53 pm //

I congratulate the owners on not screwing the place up. Really gorgeous house. I do think the price is ambitious.

6. Carol (19 comments) - 01/14/2014 at 12:25 am //

I think this home is just gorgeous!!! I can see so much potential in this place!! Yes, it does need quite a bit of work inside but the space you would be getting is enormous!! I love the fact it has two staircases too!! The outside of it is just breathtaking! I love the ornate brick work on the chimneys! I do think the price is way over budget for how much inside work needs to be done but maybe it is due to the location and I’m sure the 5.5 acres is a big part of it as well. If someone could afford this place and finish the inside, they would have a real Victorian showplace!! I so wish that person could be me!!! 🙂

7. Heidi Merkel Heidi Merkel (132 comments) - 01/14/2014 at 8:39 am //

Wonder what this house’s back story is, because I would love to hear it. For some reason this house speaks to me.

The price does seem a little outrageous when you think you could get the Butternutts NY house for just a few thousand more.

• Lu (1 comments) - 08/14/2014 at 1:11 pm //

House was designed and built by Will Oscar Speight. He owned and operated the Edenton Brick Works. Used to be part of a much larger farm years ago. The interior was being renovated by the current owners. Margaret Speight White, one of the children of W O Speight was great great grandmother to my children.

8. Ernie (182 comments) - 01/14/2014 at 10:56 am //

On the link that Rosewater sent? One word: Amazing!!!

9. Robb (225 comments) - 01/14/2014 at 11:57 am //

This house is great but the unfinished interior kind of shows you they have given up. The price is too high for that house and area. The best deal on a house is still at 812 S National Avenue in Fort Scott, KS. That is an amazing house. Original detail and preserved. That will always be my #1 house. It is on Old House Dreams. Compare the two and there is no difference.

10. John Shiflet John Shiflet (4737 comments) - 01/14/2014 at 3:52 pm //

I can only concur with that others have expressed. At this price point (just shy of a million) one usually has moved out of fixer-upper territory into totally restored/rehabbed homes. An exception might be granted for a choice property in a highly coveted location (NYC, San Francisco) but I’m afraid here that may not be the case. I can only wish the sellers good luck and hope they can find that rare buyer who is willing to meet their price and tackle a major restoration/renovation thereafter. The house is impressive and does have some great details, outbuildings, and perhaps best, comes with five and a half acres.

11. echo (16 comments) - 01/14/2014 at 6:48 pm //

Compare this one to this one 1889 Romanesque – Little Falls, NY – $1,000,000.
    I am still in love with Little Falls. I think this price needs to come down as it is not move in ready. It should be completely finished IMO. 🙂

12. Carol (19 comments) - 01/14/2014 at 7:17 pm //

Robb is 100% correct!! I checked out the house he was talking about in KS and he is right! There really is no comparison! The one is KS is unbelievable and move in ready! Looks like it is fit for a King and Queen on the inside as well as the outside and it is less than half the amount they are asking for this one! And Robb I don’t know if you were aware or not but this house in KS you love so much is actually on the market again! I didn’t know if you were talking about seeing it back in 2011 when it was previously listed on OLD HOUSE DREAMS or if you were talking about now! If you click on the realtor that has it now, it will take you to a page with TONS of new pictures of the inside that are just breathtaking!! If I could only win the LOTTERY!! This house here is really pretty but take a look at the one and KS and I think you will see the difference I am talking about!!!

13. john c (43 comments) - 01/15/2014 at 7:01 am //

As John S. has said, apparently this town is a treasure-trove of high end Victorians The prices range all over the map. At $79,000 http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/316-S-Judson-St_Fort-Scott_KS_66701_M77342-44450?row=18 , at 89,000 a relatively cleanly and not too muddled home made into apartments, http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/311-S-Judson-St_Fort-Scott_KS_66701_M83673-84284?row=17, another at $145,000 (featured on the Fort Scott Trolley Tour, according to the agent) http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/224-S-Crawford-St_Fort-Scott_KS_66701_M89564-95552?row=13, a 1913 “Craftsman” home (according to the realtor is for sale at $275,000, http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/924-Burke-St_Fort-Scott_KS_66701_M81502-44533?row=9, and what is described as an 1870s carpenter gothic house is for sale at $425,000. http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1031-205Th-St_Fort-Scott_KS_66701_M79224-74114?row=5. These are just examples, all drawn from very large old homes.

If one would not mind the relative isolation and the winters, this might be a town for numbers of OHD followers to investigate. Despite the gradual slow decline in population since 1900, Fort Scott had over 8,000 in population in 2010, is geared to tourism (and thus has some amenities not found in other small towns), and what appears to be a well established older town park http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Scott,_Kansas

There is also what appears to be a handsome old brick church for sale for $99,000 http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/123-S-National-Ave_Fort-Scott_KS_66701_M88977-25907?row=15

• lara jane lara jane (875 comments) - 01/15/2014 at 5:30 pm //

These are far better options! Now you decide: tornados or hurricanes? 😉

The exterior here is incredible, and I love the outbuildings. But if you have $1M to spend, this is not the house you’d choose, not unless you had hundreds of billions besides and a love for old houses.

14. Xandra (2 comments) - 01/15/2014 at 2:57 pm //

LOVE the stairs and wood work. The street view is amazing. I want to live there

15. lara jane lara jane (875 comments) - 01/15/2014 at 6:18 pm //

I found some more Kansas pretties for a bargain, but remind me why we’re looking at Kansas? hahaha! They’re both in Newton. I don’t know how I ended up there. You guys are bad influences…

$185,000! Super nice!

This one’s less grand and a little more “down home,” but I really like it. $98,500:

• Carol (19 comments) - 01/16/2014 at 12:16 pm //

Lara Jane I REALLY love the first one!!! The inside of it is just amazing!!! I love how they have it decorated! I could move right in there and not change a thing! The price is very reasonable I think also. I just LOVE this website! I get to see so many beautiful homes that I would otherwise never get the opportunity to see! Even if it is in KANSAS! lol Thank you for sharing!

16. Rosewater Rosewater (2492 comments) - 01/15/2014 at 9:45 pm //

As to Edenton: for a few sheckles more you could have this Antebellum masterpiece just off the water: http://www.oldhousedreams.com/2011/12/02/1850-greek-revival-edenton-nc-1-4m/ It’s in a far superior location, with tons of character, and has been on the market for evvvvver. Likely both are priced unrealistically…

17. closer785 (20 comments) - 02/03/2014 at 8:01 pm //

Yup, I’m in love….

18. Marsha (3 comments) - 02/26/2014 at 9:57 pm //

My Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother designed and built this house in 1900. He owned Edenton Brickworks – his company made all the bricks for the house. The stone under the front door says W.O. Spaight – the stone craver misspelled their name – it was Speight – William Oscar and Minnie Speight were their names. The house was named Engleside. The farm had a working cotton gin & was a working farm. My mother was born there on Christmas Day 1929. It was a very special home! I have great memories of how it use to look inside!

• Rosewater Rosewater (2492 comments) - 02/27/2014 at 3:10 pm //

I’ve never seen more remarkable and beautiful brick work of this type before; and a brick barn like that is almost unheard of. Your GGF obviously took great pride in the craftsmanship of his home; and no doubt meant it to be an advertisement for his brickworks. It succeeds admirably.. As to the stone carver: I’d have had his butt back to fix that cap stone pronto! Any story of why your GGF didn’t? Thanks for sharing.. 🙂

• Tami (2 comments) - 04/22/2015 at 8:45 pm //

Marsha…… I would love to see pics. We r interested in moving to Edenton

• Michael Mackin (813 comments) - 10/08/2015 at 12:04 am //

Marsha, I have to say the house and particularly, the brickwork is outstanding. It looks as if the brick supporting the porch wasn’t intended to go all the way to the roof and had columns on top of the pier bases at the railing line. I was wondering if you knew if that was the case or not?

19. Heidi Merkel Heidi (132 comments) - 02/27/2014 at 8:35 am //

Martha! Thank you…. I asked for the back story and you provided it. I think this house is amazing–you were a very lucky girl!

20. Marsha (3 comments) - 02/27/2014 at 12:40 pm //

Heidi – Thank you! I only wish I had the money to purchase it and restore it back to the amazing home it use to be! There are so many stories – so many memories.

21. Will Oscar Speight II (1 comments) - 03/02/2014 at 6:46 pm //

Hi Marsha,
    I do not know you, but I am your Mother’s cousin. I, too, was born in this house on May 10, 1934. I was also in your Mother’s wedding as an usher, when she married Jimmy Chestnut.
    Grandpa’s name was Will Oscar Speight, not William. The House and Farm is named Ingleside, not Engleside.

The story about using the letter “A” vs “E”.
    Grandpa had a sister named Alula, she traveled extensively and informed Grandpa that he should spell our last name Spaight (the English version), so he put that name on the doorstep and on the Family Tombstone, as well. It was not an error by the carver.
    Your Aunt Anne’s husband, Corkey, did some research re the family history, and he has given copies to many in the family.
    There was a book written by a Dr. Speight of Norfolk Va, who wrote a book called the “Saga of the Speight Family.” He tells about the first Speight to come to America in 1635. His name was Francis Speight and worked as an indenture for seven years to help pay for his passage to America.
    You are a direct descendent of Francis Speight.
    We wish you well, and please give your Mother, Peggy, a big hug for me.

W.O. Speight

22. Marsha (3 comments) - 03/04/2014 at 12:32 pm //

W.O. – Hello! I do not know you either – but I had the pleasure of knowing and loving your Mother. I knew your Dad and sister as well. Thank you for sharing the information on the house – I know you lived there for many years. Its’ funny how different stories among different family members originate! I’m certain that whoever purchases and restores the house will enjoy learning more of it’s history! It’s so important to share the memories and facts so the soul of the home is not lost and forgotten. You are the lucky one – to have grown up there and experience the finery of Grandpa and Grandma’s day! I’m not comfortable using current family names on a public site – and this forum is certainly for those most interested in purchasing and restoring historic homes – but I may be contacted through your cousin, my Aunt who lives in VA., or my Mom, if you are interested. It’s so nice to know who you are!

23. Reduced to $585,000!

• Heidi Merkel Heidi (132 comments) - 09/01/2015 at 8:50 am //

This is my #1 favorite house—ever. What a nice surprise to see it in my email this morning. I hope the price reductions allows someone buys it and love it.

24. Looks like this was purchased and is now an inn.