1903 Classical Revival – Charleston, SC – $1,650,000

SOLD / Archived Post From 2013
Added to OHD on 3/5/13 - Last OHD Update: 6/7/15
$1,650,000
40 Rutledge Ave, Charleston, SC 29401
  • 40 Rutledge has an illustrative history and offers a great livable home in downtown Charleston, SC close to the many charms of the Holy City (restaurants, night life and shopping) this dwelling was endowed with the mantels and much of the wood work of Belvedere Plantation. Belvedere was dismangled and the buildings were removed to build the Exxon facility just northwest of Charleston and Magnolia Cemetary. Oddly the property overlooks what may have been the first golf course in America which was reincarnated as the Charleston Country Club (at Belvedere).
    Sold By
  • Daniel Ravenel, Sotheby's // 843-723-7150
  • Source Links
  • Trulia, Zillow

This was once Belvedere Bed and Breakfast. According to the old website of the inn (no longer works), Dr. William Frampton acquired some of the Adam interiors from the 1790 Belvedere Plantation when it was being demolished and installed them in the house in 1925.

8 Comments on 1903 Classical Revival – Charleston, SC – $1,650,000

1. Ryan (888 comments) - 03/06/2013 at 12:29 am //

She’s a beauty. To me this house just sort of screams Charleston. All of the woodwork is lovely. I can’t tell what’s newer from what’s older, but I especially love that mantelpiece with the gothic motif. There’s a very similar mantel in another old Charleston home, or house museum (that I saw profiled on TV once).

p.s.
    The house has an “illustrative” history?

2. lara jane lara jane (875 comments) - 03/06/2013 at 4:19 am //

Wow, it’s exquisite!

I did find the kitchen underwhelming, given the grandeur of the rest of the home, but the use of Haint Blue on the porch ceilings might make up for it. 😉

3. Graham W (187 comments) - 03/06/2013 at 7:44 am //

Nice!
    I got quite a shock looking at the pictures, the painting in the one room looks pretty much like me 🙂

4. echo (325 comments) - 03/06/2013 at 12:55 pm //

I love this! I could be very happily for the rest of my life. 🙂

5. Aaron Aaron (60 comments) - 03/06/2013 at 1:31 pm //

An “illustrative” history and parts from a “dismangled” house. Might be nonsense, but I think I might adopt “dismangled” into my vocabulary 🙂

6. Sue S. Sue S. (430 comments) - 03/06/2013 at 2:38 pm //

Beautiful home. I, too, am glad to see that Haint Blue is alive and well in the South.

7. springsheep (106 comments) - 03/07/2013 at 6:14 pm //

I love the front porch and the view, I’d love to live across the street from a pond.

• BC (1 comments) - 03/10/2013 at 3:13 pm //

The view is stunning. It overlooks Colonial Lake and is about 2 blocks to Charleston Harbor.