1861 – Greenfield, Indiana – $115,000

Off Market / Archived Post From 2012
Posted in 2012. Sold status unknown.
Added to OHD on 5/18/12 - Last OHD Update: 6/7/15
404 N State St, Greenfield, IN 46140 Map: Street View
  • This historically significant "1861" property embellishes much of the character & outstanding craftsmanship relished in Civil War Era Homes. Most updates were done to preserve & restore rather than replace the charm & ambiance needing to be retained. Original woodworking through out, stunning hardwood floors, covered front porch,pocket doors & built in china cabinet, a small landscaped pond & fenced backyard are just some of the highlights to this home. Zoned commercial & residential.
    Last Active Agent
  • Christie Liechty, Carpenter Realtors // 317-240-6440
  • Source Links
  • Trulia, Zillow

9 Comments on 1861 – Greenfield, Indiana – $115,000

1. John Shiflet John Shiflet (4737 comments) - 05/18/2012 at 11:23 pm //

Looks 1880’s (or later to me) Nice fretwork eye candy for this fretwork junkie. I like it.

• Jennifer (9 comments) - 05/19/2012 at 1:26 am //

Agreed, I’ve never seen work like the piece between the pillar and wall – was it intended as a plant stand?

• James Brown (9 comments) - 05/19/2012 at 3:21 am //

I’ve seen them in turn of the century mill-work catalogs. The number of variations suggests they were fairly common among those who could afford them. They could certainly be used for plants, but I suspect they were intended for lamps

• John Shiflet John Shiflet (4737 comments) - 05/19/2012 at 7:01 am //

Agreed with James Brown. In old millwork catalogs, these kinds of elaborate fretwork spandrels often featured plant stands/pedestals as part of the overall design. Mail order architect George Franklin Barber in his 1901 MODERN DWELLINGS planbook shows a fretwork installation of this kind in a Keokuk, Iowa home. The pedestals have potted ferns and palms as I recall-both Victorian favorites. The Keokuk, Iowa house still stands and used as a Bed & Breakfast but alas, the huge fretwork spandrel was removed years ago. It was easy to remove delicate interior fretwork once everything Victorian fell out of favor countless examples were ripped out and lost forever. The rare survivors are a delight to behold as in this example.

2. Aaron Aaron (60 comments) - 05/21/2012 at 9:54 am //

Anyone know if this house is a Geo. F. Barber? It’s very similar to one (though the porch is all wrong, but the porch is kind of a cobbled mess). My books are in storage.

• Aaron Aaron (60 comments) - 11/30/2012 at 1:01 pm //

There’s a reference letter in Barber’s Modern Dwellings, 3rd Edition, from a W.G. Haven in Greenfield, Illinois.

• John Shiflet John Shiflet (4737 comments) - 11/30/2012 at 3:21 pm //

I would not rule out a George F. Barber design provenance. The interior is very similar to that often found in Barber designed homes. He even occasionally designed remodels of older homes so its possible there was a c. 1860’s core in this house that was obscured by a later remodeling. The Bissman House in Mansfield OH dates back to the early 1800’s but was extensively remodeled using Barber’s plans in the 1890’s. It too has an ornate interior similar to this example.

• ShariD (55 comments) - 09/03/2013 at 1:22 am //

Are you sure the letter is from Greenfield, Illinois? If so, then it’s not about this house, as it’s located in Greenfield, Indiana. And so am I. I see this house a lot. I don’t own it – I wouldn’t be selling if I did! LOL!

• Aaron Aaron (60 comments) - 09/26/2013 at 5:44 pm //

That was as close as I could get 🙂 I was floating the possibility of a typographical (typesetting?) error. I know of two Barber ads that featured houses in Knoxville, where such mistakes certainly shouldn’t have been made, but which misspelled the names of the owners.

That is to say, on the off chance someone in Greenfield, IN, would say, “Hey — that’s the Haven House.”