1880 Condo – Portland, Maine – $849,900

SOLD / Archived Post From 2012
Added to OHD on 4/9/12 - Last OHD Update: 6/4/16
28 Monument Sq, Apt 4, Portland, ME 04101 Maps: Aerial View, Street View
  • Extraordinary...Eclectic...One of a kind. A TRUE downtown loft built 2008-2010 with the highest grade of finish. Soaring ceilings, exposed brick, birch & bamboo flooring, chef's kitchen, 2 elevators, A/C, penthouse w/ 2 decks offering bay & skyline views.

13 Comments on 1880 Condo – Portland, Maine – $849,900

1. Julie (19 comments) - 04/09/2012 at 6:49 pm //

VERY cool!

2. Melanie Wolfe (2 comments) - 04/09/2012 at 7:21 pm //

WOW, like nothing I’ve seen before! Portland is such a great city too. This is wild!

3. ddLynn (1 comments) - 04/09/2012 at 7:56 pm //

Love it! Makes me want to find a place in the city…but still holding out for that old place in the country.

4. Lori (5 comments) - 04/09/2012 at 10:44 pm //

Wow, I can’t keep my eyes off the bookcases…

5. lara jane lara jane (875 comments) - 04/09/2012 at 11:20 pm //

The bookcases are stunning, but I’m most curious about that staircase leading to nowhere! I wish I knew the history behind it. It looks like it belonged to a royal speaker or conductor or something. So beautiful and ornate!

• JimH Jim (3751 comments) - 04/10/2012 at 3:30 am //

I disagree. This one is more ornate than most, but you can buy lots of church parts for very little from hundreds of shuttered churches. Demand is zero. Removal and transportation will cost though.

6. Barbara (167 comments) - 04/10/2012 at 3:10 am //

The books, cases, and rolling ladder are dreamy…we know you, Kelly, were in love at first sight. 😉

7. Ryan (913 comments) - 04/10/2012 at 3:36 pm //

This place is certainly unique, but the price tag gave me sticker shock Really, for all its uniqueness and hipness and whatnot, this place is still just a one bedroom, one bath flat with a property tax bill of 14 grand, a HOA fee of at least 300 bucks a month, and no garage (but rather a leased parking spot at some other location), plus it sits directly above a commercial store in Portland. Maine. Almost a million bucks for that? I’ve always thought Portland was a great little city, but I had no idea it’d become THAT desirable to live there.

That raised pulpit is pretty cool and it compliments this space nicely IMO. I’m guessing it prolly came from a protestant church, though. In my experience, these sorts of pulpits seem to have been much more commonly used by English or German protestant sects than by the Roman Catholic church. Plus, for some reason this one just feels sort of Anglican to me. But of course I’m just guessing.

• Sandra D (1 comments) - 04/10/2012 at 11:39 pm //

Agree with Ryan that the altar is more likely from a Protestant church. The fretwork along the top of the bookcases was probably salvaged from a church as well.

8. Kenny (123 comments) - 04/11/2012 at 1:28 pm //

It could be that the pulpit is actually an ambo. Whatever the case it is a beautiful piece of sculpted wood and fits the space quite nicely.

9. evers310 Jason (116 comments) - 04/17/2012 at 9:23 am //

Looks like that octagonal suspended ceiling over the small bookcase originally went over the pulpit. They are beautiful pieces.

10. Kenny (123 comments) - 04/17/2012 at 12:15 pm //

I am trying to imagine what the space would look like without all of the furniture. Quite different I think and a little more at ease. There seems to be alot of tension here.