1909 National Folk – Waleska, GA – $170,000

SOLD / Archived Post From 2011
Added to OHD on 9/29/11 - Last OHD Update: 7/28/16
  • Acres: 3
423 Reinhardt College Pkwy, Waleska, GA 30183
  • FANTASTIC Location across from Reinhardt University. 3 Beautiful acres/ with access on 3 different streets. Property is level and ready for any type Construction. Suitable for many uses, Dorms, Restaurant, Coffee Shop, Retail Professional Office Building. Old Estate Home requires extensive repair. Small Home on property can be repaired for Rental Property. Large frontage on State Highway/Reinhardt College Parkway. Property can be assembled with 2.2 Acres across Bartow Street. OWNER FINANCING WITH $50,000 Down, subject to Seller's approval of offer submitted.

One of my favorite homes in Waleska is up for sale! This is known as the William Bearden House (or Bearden-Cline House.) Mr. Bearden taught school in a neighboring town before moving to Waleska in 1899. He opened a store and a farm operation, as well as serving on the county board of education for over 20 years and helped to develop the area.

When I was little, my mom, little sister and me would walk around town and this home (and two others nearby) was my absolute favorite to look at. My hopes for this home would be that someone would come along and properly restore it, just not Home Depot it up. There are so few older homes in Waleska of this magnitude, it should be preserved. I’m keeping a close eye on this one. I know I’ve posted more architecturally interesting homes, but this one I’ve grown up watching and it’s near and dear to my heart. I know you old house lovers have homes like that you grew up loving and understand why I’m so excited about this one.

53 Comments on 1909 National Folk – Waleska, GA – $170,000

1. John Shiflet John Shiflet (4737 comments) - 09/29/2011 at 4:35 pm //

Kelly, I can absolutely understand your fondness for this house. Although architecturally unpretentious, it has lots of character and personality. Large old houses like this can be found across America and are especially prominent in the South. However, as you’ve pointed out, they frequently become targets for teardowns as few folks in these small communities have the means or the motivation to tackle restoring a big place like this one. Given the price (well over a quarter of a million) that presents a high financial hurdle to clear because a restoration would require an additional money outlay of many thousands more. Not many of us (speaking for myself) are millionaires here and if we were, pretty doubtful we would even look at houses needing lots of TLC.

Worst of all is when a house like this stays vacant/unsold and then is allowed to sit that way for years…”shabby” eventually becomes dilapidated, dilapidated eventually becomes derelict, and by then, even if it is offered for a “song” no one wants it because it needs EVERYTHING and is about to fall in on itself. One big plus here is the metal roof. (yes, I know about rain noises and hail stones hitting the metal) But even if a metal roof is rusted beyond belief (as many I’ve seen on old houses have been) they are one of the most protective long term roofs on old houses. They are unlike old asphalt composition or worse, wood shingle roofs which once they begin to fail from age and deterioration soon deliver a death sentence for an old house. Wish I could suggest a way for you to get this one but I’ve seen so many old houses screaming out to be saved and have had to turn my back on them. By the time our country changes its throw-away culture to respect old houses and buildings (if that ever happens) many of these fine old homes will be long gone. Sad.

• oldhousedreams (387 comments) - 09/29/2011 at 4:57 pm //

I compared photos I took back in 2005 of the home and you can tell the difference in the condition, just from the last few years. The woman who owned this one died years ago, and to my knowledge has been sitting vacant since.

2. misha (1 comments) - 09/29/2011 at 8:46 pm //

I know this home also! I lived in Canton, Ga for 8 years (in the 90’s) on Jeanette Street 🙂 And driving around looking at the gorgeous homes in this area was my hobby. Ha!
    I have looked at many of your other homes in Canton…it is like going home!
    Thank you so much.
    misha

• oldhousedreams (387 comments) - 09/30/2011 at 12:17 pm //

I know what you mean, we moved from Canton 4 years ago and every time I see a home from Canton, Waleska or Ball Ground, I get home sick.

3. Wendy (57 comments) - 09/29/2011 at 9:23 pm //

I hope you get some interior pics and share them with us. I too have many old houses that I’ve passed by a million times in my town that are special to me. Funny thing is now my little girls have a favorite too … they call it the “haunted house” … and they think it’s so cool. You plant potatoes … you get potatoes I guess! Anyway … thanks for sharing.

PS … glad to hear you got a puppy!

4. Linda Omoletski (107 comments) - 09/30/2011 at 1:02 am //

As soon as I saw the first pic. I can understand what you are saying. I love this house..it has tons of charm, I would loveeee to see the inside..hope it happens that it stays ‘put’..

5. John C (589 comments) - 03/05/2012 at 9:41 am //

This is no longer actively listed on zillow and on realtor.com, although no sale is noted. The delisting date on Zillow was yesterday, March 4. I hope that if the hosue did not sell, the listing will be renewed soon.

Does the price, given the condition and location, seem high to anyone?

• Kelly, Old House Dreams (387 comments) - 03/05/2012 at 2:35 pm //

I hope it will be relisted too with interior pics this time! I emailed the agent twice to see if she had any and never received a response from her (except for some junk emails…)

The home is on a large lot and directly across a college, so they are hoping someone will buy it for commercial use. Thanks for the update, hopefully it will be relisted soon.

6. michael (23 comments) - 09/15/2012 at 10:57 pm //

I knew Waleska sounded familiar, my mother went to Reinhardt. duh

7. Kelly, OHD admin Kelly, Old House Dreams (7137 comments) - 10/23/2012 at 11:07 pm //

Since I’ve learned this is being sold as a possible tear-down due to condition, I’ve never been more sadder to look at a house. I keep hoping someone will come along and buy it to restore it. A bed & breakfast, event venue, anything that will prevent it from being demolished.

I’ve learned that the woman who lived there, along with her husband who died in 1987, lived to be 99 years old, died in 2007. Her name was Beulah Cline (view a GA House Resolution) and her husband, Amos, purchased the home in 1946.

The original owner, William A. Bearden is buried a little over a mile away, having died in 1942. A 1910 census records 7 children living in the residence, having being married to Sarah Alice Timmons for 21 years at the time, she passed away in 1946.

It’s possible then that only 2 families have lived in the home, the Bearden’s and the Cline’s. I’ve been heartbroken since speaking to a reader about the home when they were interested in it and spoke with the agent only to find out it’s not in great shape.

8. Kerry (10 comments) - 04/11/2013 at 10:41 pm //

I went out and looked at the house the other day and was able to talk to an agent about it. I did not see the inside other than through windows. Apparently there are two surviving grown children of the second owners and they are the ones trying to sell the property. They are hoping someone will buy the land and built student housing…a tragedy in the making. The home is not in good condition but is not beyond repair. It appears that there are original floors still intact but the fireplaces have been stripped as well as most of the fixtures both outside and those I could see inside. Most lights were just dangling bulbs. I do believe the windows are original as someone earlier also posted and there are many beautiful interior and exterior doors with original hardware and many layers of coat. My boyfriend and I toyed with the idea of rehabin the place but we just don’t have that kind of money. In order to save this home we need to get a historical society involved and rally the community to protect this beautiful piece of history!

• Kelly, OHD admin Kelly, Old House Dreams (7137 comments) - 04/11/2013 at 10:52 pm //

Thanks for the update about the house. I figured they are trying to sell the land to the college, it’ll be a shame if that happens. As for the lights, most likely dangling bulbs are original “fixtures”.

• Kerry (10 comments) - 04/15/2013 at 8:19 pm //

Okay, so we got brave and called the realtor for a viewing of the inside. I took a few pics, but I don’t think they turned out very well due to the lighting. The house is in rough shape. There is a significant hole in the roof, which has allowed water to come through the floor of the attic and damage the second story floor. In fact, there is caution tape around the floor in that section, as it is possibly unsafe to walk on. Other than that, the house appears as you might expect it to based on the exterior deterioration.

Most everything in the house has been stripped. There are only a few random cabinets (kitchen and one other room) and those are nothing to write about. There is a kitchen sink, which I found charming, as it appears to be circa 1940s. Many of the walls are tongue and groove paneling (some buckling in places and warped from humidity and the house settling). Sadly, we believe that the large tree out front may be the culprit for much of the foundation damage. If the house were to be saved, the tree would have to go. There was only one fireplace facade/mantle remaining in the home. It was nothing fancy or ornate.

We are currently looking at options for possibly saving this house but don’t want to get tangled with the Historical Society, as once they are involved any renovations we try to do would have to be approved by them. Please keep your fingers crossed for us. It has always been a dream of mine to restore an old home, and this one is more than worthy.

• Kelly, OHD admin Kelly, Old House Dreams (7137 comments) - 04/15/2013 at 8:44 pm //

Historical society? Did you speak to them? I don’t think they would have much of a say-so in it. If the agent told you differently, she’s just trying to scare you or doesn’t know what she is talking about.

I’m sad the house is in such shape, I was hoping for better. I always knew there wasn’t anything historically significant regards to architecture, it is your typical rural home from the era, nothing fancy beyond what was available in the area (meaning nothing Victorian about it.) I’m wishing you a lot of luck on it though, keep me informed! 🙂

9. Kerry (10 comments) - 04/15/2013 at 8:26 pm //

Oh, and one more thing… I have been trying to do research on the home and its former occupants. Aside from finding their graves and obituaries, I haven’t found much. I know that Mrs. Cline was a nurse and had no children and that the Beardens (the owners before her) had 7 children. I’m going to the library later this week to see if I can find any old period photos of the the house, but if anyone knows anyone who might be able to help me, I would greatly appreciate it. I would love to get photos of both the Cline and Bearden families, too, if possible 🙂

• Kelly, OHD admin Kelly, Old House Dreams (7137 comments) - 04/15/2013 at 8:51 pm //

There is some information available about the Beardens in the book about the history of Cherokee County (found at the library local reference room in Canton.) If you ask some of the old timers in the area they can tell you all about Beulah and Amos Cline, who lived in the home. It is Beulah’s sister that owns the home now, at least the will sounded like it was calling her the sister. Did you read what I wrote, in the comments above, about the former owners?

P.S. The Historical Society knows about the house being for sale and possible demolition. I told them about it, she said they would look into it. That’s the last I heard from them and this was months ago.

10. Kerry (10 comments) - 04/20/2013 at 9:01 am //

Hey Kelly, I did read all of your info above about the house and families and went to the library to learn more. You actually had more info here than what I was able to find. I did come across an old photo of the house taken in 1949 and also found a picture of a local Baptism that showed (possibly) 3 of the Bearden boys. I also realize now why the house is in such bad shape after doing a little math. If Beulah was 99 when she died 2007 and her husband was 86 when he died in 1989, chances are the house has been neglected for almost 35-40 years. I know there are some other older homes on Bartow St.and wonder if they are rentals or if the residents actually knew Beulah. Not having any children, I’m wondering who would have taken care of her in her later years…neighbors, friends, extended family? I’m a writer, lover of history and old houses…so this house, it’s former owners, and history has me intrigued. I’m in the process of publishing a book now (due for release this summer) and am looking for a new project. Maybe this house has a story to tell…

• Kelly, OHD admin Kelly, Old House Dreams (7137 comments) - 04/20/2013 at 9:34 am //

Some of the people on the street have lived there for decades and would have known them. I’m not certain who looked after her, I’ve emailed my mom to find out if she knows. I remember seeing her sitting on the porch sometimes, when I was young, but I never spoke to her.

There were a lot of Cline’s in the area once, some of them still do as far as I know. The previous mayor of Waleska, Marguerite Cline could tell you all kinds of things, I’m sure (she’s on Facebook.) Here’s an article she wrote last year, apparently she and her husband lived in the home with the Cline’s for a while. I wondered why Amos and Beulah lived in such a big house if they didn’t have kids, I guess they rented rooms.

Something I don’t think I added, Beulah and Amos married in 1934, her maiden name was Gable.

What’s the name of your book, if you don’t mind saying?

• Kerry (10 comments) - 04/20/2013 at 10:15 am //

In my research I came across Marguerite. I’ve actually already contacted her through Facebook 🙂 and am waiting to hear back. The book that is being published is a creative non-fiction/memoir hybrid about a piece of property in the Colorado mountains where I grew up. The story follows a family that immigrates from Prussia, starts a business in Denver, then loses everything in the Panic of 1896 (the depression before the big Depression). The family then moves to mountains and lives off the land. They sell the property in the 40s to the YMCA, and the Y makes it a resident camp that I both attended as a child and worked as a teen and young adult.

The book is filled with vintage photos, newspaper articles and correspondence with family descendants as well as my own personal essays about my experiences there and is titled We Are Camp Shady Brook. There are a lot of old buildings on the property and I had a lot of fun researching when those structures were built and what they were originally used for. The dinning hall (where campers eat), for instance, was originally a dance hall that Mr. Bandhauer built in order to invite other mountain families over so that his daughters could mingle with local gentleman under his watchful eye. Two of his daughters actually married men as a result of these Dance Hall match-making parties. I would love to keep correspondence with you. Let’s chat via my email: aspenaura@att.net

Oh, and I’ve seen her maiden name as Cagle and Cable. Her grave is marked as Cable though, I believe. I will check out the link you provided above. Thanks!

• Kelly, OHD admin Kelly, Old House Dreams (7137 comments) - 04/20/2013 at 10:23 am //

Cable sounds more right than Gable, must be a misprint in the marriage database online, I should have realized that when I saw it.

I’ll check your book out when it is published, that’s the type of book I like to read. I used to think about writing fiction based around the houses in Waleska, or rather the real people/places would be in the book but the main characters would be fictional. I found I don’t have the grammar or the patience for writing, at least right now. 😉

11. Kerry (10 comments) - 04/20/2013 at 10:17 am //

I just looked at the article you attached. Funny. I had already found that one and printed it out and added it to my research file.

12. Kelly, OHD admin Kelly, Old House Dreams (7137 comments) - 04/30/2013 at 5:42 pm //

The Cherokee County Historical Society has some newer exterior pics on their Facebook page, link.

13. Lorraine (1 comments) - 12/18/2013 at 4:40 pm //

Kerry,

I agree with you on possibly bringing the community together for this project. I have a couple of ideas whirling around in my mind so it might be a good idea to visit together to see what we can come up with.
    It would be a shame to lose this house. Please feel free to contact me via email at lorraine@thethompsonfamily.net
    Lorraine

• Kelly, OHD admin Kelly, Old House Dreams (7137 comments) - 01/09/2014 at 3:28 am //

Noticed Zillow says this is pending and the listing is off the agents site. Did you decide to buy it?

14. Kerry (10 comments) - 01/09/2014 at 9:29 am //

Nope. Not me. Oh do hope that someone is planning on restoring it and not planning to tear it down!!!!

15. David Bearden (4 comments) - 02/07/2014 at 11:39 pm //

This home belonged to my Great-grandfather William A. Bearden. They had five girls and one son, my grandfather, William D. Bearden Sr. My other Great-grandparents, the Guyton’s, lived in the house next to them that is still standing but has been extensively remodeled outside so that I hardly recognize it now. W.D bearden Sr. married my grandmother, Elizabeth Guyton. I never was inside of the Bearden house, as even my grandfather had died by the time I was one and the family had sold the property to the Cables back in the forties. My father and his family moved to Marietta around 1949 and never moved back to Waleska. We visited my Gr-Grandmother Bessie Guyton there frequently until she passed away in 1977. I have many relatives buried down the street at the Baptist Church, the locals call Briar Patch. I always thought that the Bearden house would have made a great bed -n-breakfast but haven’t the means to do it myself. Maybe someone can save the place but it’s looking bleak.
    David Bearden

• Appreciate your comment Mr. Bearden. I was wondering if any one of the family still lived in Waleska or had moved away. The house was showing as pending but now is showing off market, so I’m guessing it sold. I’m keeping a watch on zoning to see if anyone applies for rezoning to commercial or for a demolition permit. I’m hoping the person who bought it has the thought of saving the home but my expectations are low.

Appreciate your commenting about your family. 🙂

16. David Bearden (4 comments) - 02/08/2014 at 12:02 am //

My mistake, they had six girls and one son.

17. The home sold to a local (she doesn’t appear to be a developer.) Other than watching for permits/rezoning, maybe someone nearby will keep us updated to what is happening to the house. 🙂

18. David Bearden (4 comments) - 02/09/2014 at 12:57 am //

No, all of the remaining direct Bearden descendants live in Kennesaw or Marietta. Oddly enough, my father in law moved to Lake Arrowhead a few years ago so I still come up to Waleska every so often. I live in Columbus, GA and Panama City Beach, FL.

19. News! The CC Historical Society told me the new owner plans to renovate and then resell it. I’ll try not to think about what will be done to it, just glad it won’t be torn down.

20. Anne Erskine (1 comments) - 03/08/2014 at 1:03 am //

I am so glad to read this house will be renovated. I saw the listing here on this site (love it btw) last summer and made a point to drive over and see the house when I went up to Canton last summer.

I walked around the house and was charmed by it, even in the rough shape it was in.

I was trying to look in what windows I could and was headed over to look in the windows on the left side of the house but when I stepped up on that side porch, a large black animal jumped down into a hole in the porch flooring. It moved so fast and was such a blur that I couldn’t tell what kind of animal it was. It seemed to be at least 20 to 30 lbs. Feral dog maybe. It was obviously as startled about me as I was about it.

I didn’t have the courage to go look down in the hole it jumped in but I still wonder to this day what exactly it was.

I drove down the side street and looked at the back yard and saw another charming small house for sale and walked around the outside of that one as well.

I often think about that day, it was very memorable. I live in Woodstock and don’t get up that way too much but I will ride by this lovely house the next time I am up that way and hope to see some of the renovations in progress. Hope to one day get a look inside as well.

21. Kerry (10 comments) - 03/08/2014 at 10:18 am //

Hello Cline House Followers:

We had actually looked into buying the house but were not able to make the financial commitment. I was elated to find out that the new owners are going to renovate the place, as my greatest fear was that it would be demoed. I work across the street at Reinhardt, so everyday I look for construction progress. So far the back 2nd story porch and bathroom (that literally looked like it was going to fall off the side of the house) has been removed. I never see any workers though, so I am assuming that maybe the owner is doing all the work himself on the weekends. I’m going to make a point to go out there on a weekend and introduce myself and request permission to photograph the house through the renovation process. I will then share the photos on this blog.

Kerry

22. Any updates? 🙂

23. Kerry (10 comments) - 05/28/2014 at 9:30 am //

None. I’m so bummed. Almost immediately after the sale the back staircase was torn off, but then nothing. I never see anyone over there. If I did see someone I would go and introduce myself. I’m only working one week at Reinhardt for the summer, but maybe there will be some progress in the fall???? I’ll keep you posted 🙂

~Kerry

• Thanks. I keep track of permits in the county (for demolition permits mostly) and saw a permit for electrical work but nothing since. I hope this won’t turn into a home that goes into further disrepair because of an absentee owner. No offense owner, if you read this, but it happens more times than I care to count.

24. I’m so appreciative to Kerry for sending in photos of the interior! Very hopeful for the future of one of my most favorite homes. Thanks Kerry!

25. Tyre Lanier (5 comments) - 09/06/2015 at 2:40 am //

What has become of my great uncle’s house now? My sister investigated back when it was first being readied for sale. My mother, Amos’ niece grew up in the house across the street. I spent countless weekends there growing up (we lived in Athens) and mainly remember uncle Amos out plowing and hoeing his garden. Mom is still alive and knows Cline family history (and most Waleska history) well. She and Dad met at Reinhardt and her Dad, who also attended Reinhardt, was postmaster of Waleska from 1925-1964 when he died.My brother and father are buried at Sardis Church nearby; I live near Raleigh NC in a 170 year old home (with a 205 year old kitchen outbuilding) so (now) I appreciate old houses.

26. Kerry (10 comments) - 09/06/2015 at 9:09 am //

I’m so sorry it taken me this long to give an update on the house. Since I last posted, the renovations are nearly complete on the Cline house. Early in the renovations I went over to the house and introduced myself to the new owner who does not plan to live in the home but wants to resell it. I told her about this website and said there were many followers and asked her permission to photograph the houses progress. She agreed. Unfortunately, I have not been back to the house. I will make it a point to go over with my camera the next time I see workers there. Here’s what I know about the renovations: the back balcony was removed and not replaced as well as the bathroom that looked like it was hanging off the back of the house. Where the kitchen was originally, a sunny dinning area has been made. The old barn/garage was torn down but the cinder block house and shed still remain. The exterior doors have been painted a forest green and the exterior wood has been repaired or replaced and repainted white. All of the sagging porches and colums have been repaired and landscaping is underway. The house really does look beautiful. I will sent a photo update soon.

27. Tyre Lanier (5 comments) - 09/06/2015 at 10:36 am //

Yes her house was built by George Harmon. Grandaddy moved in 1925: Paul Cline. My mother was Cheston Cline.

28. Article in the Cherokee Tribune about the home and the current owner. Not sure everyone will be able to view it though: link to article. Glad the tongue/grove walls were kept, that was my favorite feature in the home!

29. Tyre Lanier (5 comments) - 09/07/2015 at 6:00 am //

I am fascinated why you knew my granfather’s house as ‘the Harmon house’? By far the longest living owners/residents there were my grandparents, Paul and Montarie Cline, and now possibly the current resident (not sure on the latter). Neither Beardon nor Cline built the ‘Beardon-Cline house’. BTW great-uncle Amos worked for most of his career at Lockheed in Marietta, simultaneous with my mother’s brother (P.A. Cline) who worked there 50 years. P.A. And Amos drove the distance in a carpool with several men for many, many years; in fact P.A. Married later in life, after both my grandparents died, and only then moved to Jasper and sold the Waleska home. His younger brother Charles moved to Michigan but was later honored as poet laureate of Reinhardt. Mom says Beulah (Cable) Cline grew up in a house that faces Reinhardt and whose lands backed up to Granddaddy’s pasture. Is it still extant?

• From an architectural survey from the 1980’s, it’s referred to as the Harmon House. I think it’s talked about elsewhere as the Harmon House also.

I’m not sure about the Cable home, did it face the college from 140 or 108?

• David Bearden (4 comments) - 02/25/2016 at 2:56 pm //

Mr. Lanier, your mom and uncle Charles Cline might remember my father, Dewey Bearden Jr. His dad, William Dewy Bearden Sr. was raised in the Bearden-Cline house. Dad told me stories of playing with Charles Cline when they were children. I think they lived in the house right next to your grandparents house or maybe one house down from it for a while. Unfortunately, my dad passed away several years ago and I can’t ask if he knew your mom. By the way, George Harmon was my GG grandfather. dbbearden83@gmail.com

30. Tyre Lanier (5 comments) - 09/07/2015 at 10:06 am //

Granddaddy’s post office was on the same side of the Bartow street as his house, up at the corner with highway 140 across from the college. Cables house was just up (west) 140 also across from the college. Just past the Cable house was Freeman’s store; I think it was about where the new post office is now. I got ice creams at Freeman’s: he was a big old guy with a little store in one end of his house as I recall. What is the reference for the architectural book that lists the Harmon house? The Gothic revival front was supposedly built by Harmon on to a much older two room building that was our kitchen and dining room; it had a porch on both sides but Grandaddy closed in the north side porch for a bathroom and storage room when I was a boy. Before that it was outhouses down the hill.

• I don’t remember which book calls it the Harmon House, one of the books about Cherokee County. Houses are normally named after the first owners or the more famous of the owners (like a politician.) Maybe it was the book written in the 1930’s, I really don’t remember.

I’m not sure where the Cable house was located so don’t know if it is still there.

31. The Cherokee County Historical Society posted a few updated photos on their Facebook page.

link to photos

32. Back on the market, $495,700. link

33. Martha J. Sumrell (1 comments) - 11/18/2016 at 12:11 am //

My mother was born in Waleska in 1911. I wonder if they lived near this house. Her father, George Yarborough was a Methodist minister and might have had some connection with the College there. Hope to find some clues in the 1910 census. So glad this house was saved and restored.