1879 Stick Victorian – Albany, NY

SOLD / Archived Post From 2011
Added to OHD on 7/28/11 - Last OHD Update: 6/7/15
1 Englewood Pl, Albany, NY 12203
  • Mansion located next to Washington Park.
    Source Links
  • Realtor, Zillow, UMass(Architectural drawing shown, as Stick style architecture.)

Known as the Benjamin Wooster House, the architect was William M. Wollett. I originally posted this way back in 2009, when it was listed for $849,000. It’s taken a huge tumble since then. I can’t remember where I got them, if they were sent to me by the owner or I found them online, but I had old pictures of the home, which I cannot find now. Take a look at this interesting photo of the the place, shown here.

10 Comments on 1879 Stick Victorian – Albany, NY

1. lara jane lara jane (875 comments) - 07/28/2011 at 10:12 pm //

Beautiful!

Question: What determines a “mansion?”

2. James Manista (56 comments) - 07/28/2011 at 10:31 pm //

Being against any burning of fossil fuels I am quite opposed to fireplaces as anything other than historical trappings. But I found the green surround to the one fireplace quite intriguing. Would have liked a closer-up but alas, one cannot always get what one wants.

• Ryan (913 comments) - 07/29/2011 at 4:54 pm //

I wish I could say I was environmentally concerned, but I am in fact a careless, greedy American who still abuses Mother Earth at every opportunity and revels in my irresponsibility, but I think one could probably still light up a yule log while still following these principles. I mean, because wood is not really a fossil fuel anyway.

3. Ryan (913 comments) - 07/29/2011 at 4:48 pm //

A few weeks ago I saw that this place had been re-listed again and the huge price cut made me very happy. Then I got sad because I realized that even after a big price reduction, this property is still way out of my league. Anyhow, after seeing what some similar (but not as nice) Albany homes are listed for now, I have a feeling this house might actually sell this time around. If I owned it, I’d sit up in that tower balcony at night, looking out over the park and drinking beer after beer and cussing at passersby!

• Kara (57 comments) - 07/30/2011 at 12:02 am //

That’s what this house needs – a drunk guy cussing up in the tower. Niiiiice. haha.

4. Vicki (127 comments) - 07/29/2011 at 7:00 pm //

Did you notice the crazy New York taxes?! I live in New York so I know that’s an actual number. Shocking, isn’t it??

5. Matt Z (12 comments) - 07/31/2011 at 8:09 pm //

I like the Thurlow Terrace Romanesque Mansion for sale better..but both are equally impressive! thanks for sharing 🙂